Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CMOS battery but...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

I have an older computer (Asus P5Q Pro Turbo) I use maybe once a week or less. One day it stopped holding BIOS settings. (I turn off power strip when not in use.) Had been booting up fine until one day I had to go into the BIOS to reset. I noticed the CMOS LED did not stay lit after I turned power strip off, so I got a new battery and tested it before install, to make sure it was good. It did not light the LED. The LED does work when powered on. I checked visible connections on the battery socket and everything looks good. Right battery, CR2032. Voltage 3.09 volts. The old battery was weak; just over 1 volt if I remember right. No new hardware/software. A minor inconvenience to reset BIOS every time, and I could always leave power strip on, computer works fine once BIOS reset. But just curious as to what's going on and if I'm missing something obvious. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

just a silly question, but did you double check you got the polarity correct on the battery?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

Yup 👍🏻

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

Does the unit have a reset jumper?  And is it an exit and save after BIOS changes??

#5 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

Well I missed the something obvious...operator error!

1st. LED is merely a power light. Juice to computer, light on; no juice, no light. Not sure why I thought it had to do with battery, other than it's right next to it. But I should have known because it always goes off on my other computer when I turn it's power strip off.

2nd. I never turned the computer on when I put the new battery in (a week ago), until yesterday soooo, that means the BIOS had to be reset for the new battery.

Computer powered on fine this am.

Thanks for the replies

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Ah... the ubiquitous user error.  I was seeing so much of this at one point that I changed my signature to "User error, strike any user to continue".  I'm glad you got the problem resolved. :thumbup2: 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users