Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer shell crashes when trying to use cmd, tskmgr, and even word!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drassx

Drassx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

Hey guys long time lurker and you guys have some awesome advice, Ive got a machine thats got me stumped, hopefully you  guys can help.

So as it says in the subject this laptop will boot windows and run fine or so it seems. We realized we had a problem when we launched MS word 2010 it would start to launch then the whole screen would go black and the explorer shell would refresh and the application doesnt launch. Even more concerning i cant get task manager or even CMD to start the exact same thing as launching word has happen. Booted into safe mode and ran sfc scannow and also dism but dism wouldnt complete it had an error. Does anyone have any ideas outside of wacking this thing and starting over(really dont want to if we can avoid it)

Thank you so much,

Vinny 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

First try doing the SFC and DISM *not* in safe mode then report back on whether DISM still has an error and, if so, what the text of the error message is.

Try using PowerShell if you can't bring up Command Prompt as admin and see if that will work.

Edited by britechguy, 17 July 2018 - 10:24 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Drassx

Drassx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

I cant open cmd.exe not in safe mode to even attempt to run those tools.

Thank you for the reply

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

I cannot really tell from your description what you can and cannot get to after the machine boots.  You stated, "Booted into safe mode and ran sfc scannow and also dism but dism wouldnt complete it had an error," but just contradicted that above.

If it boots and you can get to settings, I'd suggest going to Update & Security, Recovery Pane, and choosing the Advanced Startup option.

If you can't do that then try powering the machine up, holding the power button down until it turns off while its in the boot process, and repeating this until you end up in the Advanced Startup.  I think three cycles will cause that to pop up, but it might be more.  Have a bootable USB of Windows 10 available so that it can be used as the repair source.

Edited by britechguy, 17 July 2018 - 10:33 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Drassx

Drassx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

I'm sorry for the confusion. To try to make this clear. it wont allow me to use cmd or task manager inside regular windows 10, when i try the screen just refreshes and the program wont start(happens with multiple apps mostly windows tools). I can get into the advanced start up and boot into safe mode(if needed). Also powershell will not work either.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

I am suspecting the possibility of an infection of some kind.

I would advise you to read, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help, for the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Assistance forum, then post there.  This needs to be examined as a possible root cause first.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:27 PM

Have you tried safe mode with Networking ?

screenshot_52.jpg

Dism uses Windows Update to get component store files it needs.

If it is configured that way.

screenshot_52.jpg

Others may offer more help & better...

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:15 AM

Hi, your GUI is controlled by windows shell experience host, this process can corrupt OR you may have to restore all store apps, both quite easily done.

Press the win + x keys together select Powershell (admin) from the options, copy the below cmdlet and right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter. Restart computer, let us know how you get on.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

#9 Drassx

Drassx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

First of all thank you for the all imput, still working on the issue. Im looking into the malware, i starting to suspect that the version of avira that is on here is malware, i cant get it off even with a cmd uninstall in safemode w/ cmd prompt. Also i was able to run  FRST in safe mode but experience the original problem of the explorer shell crashing and not launching the programs in a regular startup. I'm going to try the dism in safe mode thank again thank you all for your help.

Heres the report from FRST in safe mode, sorry if i did this wrong and spam the thread XD

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) (x64) Version: 15.07.2018

[REDACTED]

Please see pinned announcement at the top of this forum:    No FRST, DDS, OTL, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum.

There is a reason I suggested consulting the Malware Removal Assistance forum.  It's not that you're obligated to do so, but you may not use and post the logs for malware detection/removal tools on any forum at Bleeping Computer other than the one dedicated to that purpose.

Edited by britechguy, 18 July 2018 - 10:23 AM.
Redaction and note

#10 Drassx

Drassx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

Tried to run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and get to 85.4% and get Error: 1084 This service cannot be started in safe mode 

I'm going to see if i can run a windows updater off a usb that has an updated windows iso. Edit oh good this also wont run either

Also i tried to find the local group policy editor and am unable to locate it on this machine

Edited by Drassx, 18 July 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

See note at end of post #9

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

Also i tried to find the local group policy editor and am unable to locate it on this machine

If it's Windows 10 Home you don't have access to gpedit.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Hi, sorry I failed to comprehend you cannot access powershell, so no joy running that cmd. 

I suppose a system restore also fails, have you tried this? How long has this been a problem, if restore fails then maybe restoring the registry from regback will work.

Win 10 takes a registry backup every 7-10 days, this can be restored. You need to access the RE, (recovery environment) troubleshoot , then advanced , then command prompt, which you indicate you can do:-

Once into the RE selecting command prompt, we need to establish what drive the RE has assigned the OS, (in the RE the OS is often given another drive letter, we need to know this for our cmd’s to work) you will see a X:\sources prompt, default is X:\Windows\System32> at this we type :-

Bcdedit | find “osdevice”  (type exactly as you see here, spaces and syntax important, the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key)

This cmd will return:-  osdevice…..partition X (where X is a drive letter, we use this letter in the following cmd’s, often in windows ten this is the D drive, you use what the cmd returns, our example use’s D)

At the X:\Windows\System32> prompt type:-

D: (press enter) the prompt now looks like:-

D:\>

At this type:-

cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback (press enter), the prompt changes to this directory.

Next type:- Dir (press enter)

The contents of the regback folder will appear. Make sure there is data in the folder (not 0 bytes) and check the creation date, if it was before your problem, proceed, if not exit out, it won't work.

If you proceed then next type:-

copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)

Type:- ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied. Exit out and restart computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users