Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use my third octet of the IP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Acezeck

Acezeck

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

I have a Windows Server running with Windows Server SBS 2011. It is configured and works perfectly.

We recently got a new server running with Windows Server 2016. But with configuring we are scared to override any DHCP and breaking everything.

To fix this.

Server SBS 2011 using 192.168.0.1

Server 2016 using 192.168.1.1

But how to configure it without breaking the old server? How to use the third octet of the IP Address!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

Hello,

If you want to do this, you could probably do it in two ways. The first is to configure some routing on your network such that it can route traffic to the server. This option I would not be as much help with, as I do not know how you have your network configured.

The other option would be to use a larger subnet but only use DHCP on the 192.168.0.x portion of the subnet (Or 192.168.1.x, whichever one should be under DHCP). If you want to use only the IPs 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.1.255 then you could change your subnet mask on all your machines to 255.255.254.0 (Or /23) and everything will be able to connect directly to the server. Then enable DHCP on only a portion of that range, i.e., 192.168.0.1/24 or 192.168.1.1/24.

Hope this helps.

Sasschary

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

Are both servers going to be running? Or, is the 2016 server replacing the 2011 server?

If both are going to be running don't run DHCP on the 2016 server, problem solved.

If the 2016 is a replacement DHCP should be configured the same as the 2011 server it is replace and then during a maintenance window DHCP turned off on the 2011 server and turned on the 2016 server.  This allows you to switch back to the 2011 server if there are major issues.

#4 Acezeck

Acezeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Thank you all for replying,

Yes the server is indeed going to replace the old one. But I need to have them both working at the same time for the time being.
Because I need to configure everything and there cant be maintenance time in between. The server 2011 needs to be running 24/7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users