Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help fixing a malfunctioning SSD & a question about a bios update!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:14 AM

Hello all. I'm back here again after just posting a few days ago about fixing my messed up laptop. Although my laptop IS working again, as the title suggest there are issues with my SSD. If you didn't catch my last topic here's the link: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/680751/help-fixing-a-malfunctioning-ssd-a-question-about-a-bios-update/?p=4533446

Computer specs: https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=570

Initial issue:

1. Ran a bios update provided by laptop manufacturer.

2. Computer didn't reboot like I expected it to and when I did turn my laptop back on manually, windows no longer worked and instead the laptop booted straight to bios.

3. Connected an external HDD with windows installed to the messed up laptop to see what was going on and everything seemed to be in working order. There was a slight issue with not being able to view the SSD's originally but a driver update fixed that.

4. Used a usb repair stick to reinstall windows 8 back on to one of the SSD's and upgraded to widows 10 after.

Issue 1: One of my SSD's is showing up as E drive but can't be accessed or formatted and shows 0/0 space.

Attached File  pic 1.png   100.81KB   0 downloads

Issue 2: Bios is showing a correct FW version number, a correct EC FW version number, but an incorrect date.

Attached File  pic2.png   149.49KB   0 downloads Attached File  20180718_004119.jpg   62.29KB   0 downloads Attached File  pic 4.png   94.72KB   0 downloads

I would obviously like to figure out and fix both issues but getting my other SSD back is definitely the priority. Everything is backed up so I don't mind reinstalling/reformatting if need be.

Edited by Tallgeese3, 18 July 2018 - 04:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:09 AM

"Issue 2: Bios is showing as correct version number but incorrect date."

Windows gets really messed up and confused if the date and time are incorrect.  Go into the BIOS (F10 on most HP's, F2 on most Dell's) and set them to be correct. (They probably got reset to the defaults by the BIOS update)

Once Windows 10 has booted and connected the first time, you have a license issued by a Microsoft server using the internet.  Afterwards, you can reinstall from scratch a gazillion times and it will automatically activate when you connect.  If you use the Media Creation Tool, it also downloads the latest version of Windows 10 which is 1803 (March 2018).  The smart way, if you have all of your data files backed up, is to use the Advanced option and to delete all of the partitions on the drive you want Windows installed on, clicking Next after you have done that.  (Windows will create the partitions it needs and, as a note, I prefer the ISO image as a DVD/R can't get infected unlike a USB drive)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 08:09 AM.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Issue 1: One of my SSD's is showing up as E drive but can't be accessed, formatted, and shows 0/0 space

How is the drive listed in Disk Management? Does is show as Not Initialized or RAW?

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 08:09 AM.

#4 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:30 AM

Shows as raw

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#5 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM

Date/time wasn't incorrect.

Attached File  20180718_004119.jpg   62.29KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 08:10 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

You have 4 RAW partitions that indicates a corrupt partition table. Do you need any data on that particular disk? That was a boot disk, correct? You are currently booting from disk 3.

#7 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

I'm booting from C drive right now. Disk 3 was the external drive I still had plugged in. No I don't mind reformatting the drives if I can get access back to them but I don't know how. I quickly read using an program called easeus might work but I'm wary as I have no idea how reformatting one drive will affect the other.Attached File  pic 5.png   141.78KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

Reformatting Disk 1 is not going to affect the other disks. What is strange is the disk that is RAW is EFI and the disk that you are booting from is not. An EFI disk is GPT and requires booting with UEFI mode enabled. Your other disk looks like a regular MBR disk and requires booting in Legacy mode. Some Motherboards can automatically select the boot mode.

Use Partition Wizard to reformat the disk. Do the following steps. All steps are virtual and will not complete unless you click apply.

Delete all Partitions

Initialize as GPT

Create a Primary Partition formatted NTFS

Note: If you are going to do a clean install of the OS on the disk you will not need to create a partition. Windows will automatically do this.

If you want to attempt a recovery without doing the above download Testdisk for Windows. Do a Quick Search on the drive. Highlight all of the partitions found and press "P". If you see all your files and all partitions you can write a new partition table.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

This is for an external drive with one partition marked RAW but the same steps hold for your internal disk. Just make sure all your partitions are found before writing a partition table and make sure you select the correct disk.

https://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

#9 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:16 AM

Sorry for the super late reply but life kept getting in the way.

@johnc_21: Per your advice Downloaded partition wizard and reformatted my 2nd SSD and was surprised at how easy the process was. Everything appeared to be in working and i decided to shut the laptop off after and it didn't shutdown. I tried two more times but it kept taking me back to my windows login screen and I was baffled. I didn't have time to figure it out so I just did a hard shutdown and went to work. When i cam back and started the laptop.... right back to bios. I was obviously dismayed but I decided to try and figure out what went wrong without bothering anyone else here any longer.

Although my newly formatted drive was functioning properly I could no longer install windows into it. I kept getting an error message about there being no partitions or something to that effect. I googled the error message  and followed a youtube video about how to fix it.  Even though i messed up during the process I lucked out in that it fixed my issue regardless and I was able to reinstall windows back into the 2nd drive. The only issue now 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Sorry, I missed this post. Are you saying you wish to install an OS on two different drives? You say you could not install the OS on the drive because of the error message of now partitions and in conclusion you said you were able to reinstall Windows to the second drive.  I never ran into that error message. It may be that you need to convert the drive to GPT before you can install the OS as you have UEFI firmware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users