Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer turns on and thats it

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 schmitzo

schmitzo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

I hope this is the right subforum for this question/situation:

My mom just bought a new computer (dell inspiron 15 3000).  I don't know much about computers, but I know way more than her so I'm trying my best to fix this.

(I'm assuming its windows 10 since its a very new computer?  is that a fair assumption?)

Basically, the computer turns on, I am able to type in her computer password, then when the desktop appears, I cannot do anything else.

I can't type.  I can't click on anything.  I cannot run any programs.  The mouse works and scrolls around but when I click anywhere, nothing happens.  She said it worked for a day or two but now we are stuck with this problem.  

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I am willing to do a total restart of her computer and wipe it clean if that helps, but I don't know how to do that.  

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start or whats going on?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

It appears that there are at least a couple of different models of the Inspirion 15 3000.  There should be further numerical information which follows, like 3542, 3543, etc.  Please look in the user manual which should have come with this computer to see what the full version is and post this information in your topic.  When I was researching this I found that there were 15 3000 in July of 2017 which had Windows 8.1 installed on it and newer versions which had Windows 10 installed.  Fortunately the two are similar enough that a lot of the troubleshooting applications can be used on both types. 

You stated "The mouse works and scrolls around but when I click anywhere, nothing happens."  Are you using an external mouse or the touchpad?

If you are using the touchpad, see if an external mouse will work, preferably a wired mouse.

Since this is a new computer which I would have to guess that it has little added to it at this point.  For this reason I would suggest doing a Refresh using installation media.  The instructions below include information to create your own installation media.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  You will have the options to keep your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any key to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.

On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen.

Select Repair your computer.

On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there.  Select Reset this PC.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

I hope this is the right subforum for this question/situation:

My mom just bought a new computer (dell inspiron 15 3000).  I don't know much about computers, but I know way more than her so I'm trying my best to fix this.

(I'm assuming its windows 10 since its a very new computer?  is that a fair assumption?)

Basically, the computer turns on, I am able to type in her computer password, then when the desktop appears, I cannot do anything else.

I can't type.  I can't click on anything.  I cannot run any programs.  The mouse works and scrolls around but when I click anywhere, nothing happens.  She said it worked for a day or two but now we are stuck with this problem.  

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I am willing to do a total restart of her computer and wipe it clean if that helps, but I don't know how to do that.  

The solution is simple.  You just bought it so take it back, and get one that works.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

The solution is simple.  You just bought it so take it back, and get one that works.

This certainly could be an option, but it would need to be able to demonstrate that the computer is faulty.  If this is a reputable shop where the computer was purchased there are laws which puts the onus on the shop to determine if the computer is faulty, but if this is the result of user errors this will become apparent and the shop would not be obligated to exchange it or return their money.   At this point we don't have enough information to come to any conclusion.  I would suggest waiting until the OP provides the requested information before making any determinations. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Take the computer back. If you just bought this computer you deserve to have one that works. Take it back.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 schmitzo

schmitzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:24 AM

sorry for late reply, but thats what she did.  

the new one seems to be working now.  

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users