Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trump and the European Union Trade Battles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mklangelo

Mklangelo

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

I'd particularly like to hear from those in Europe for some diversity of viewpoints on this issue.  I personally have never paid attention to Global Economics but I saw a news story on this trade issue and thought I would do a bit of digging.  I found some statistics and I am well aware that those are very easy to manipulate in the manner of confirmation bias and cherry picking.  So my effort was to find the rawest statistics I could find.  And they follow below as a primer for this thread.

EU Population:  528 Million

US Population:  325 Million

Trade Numbers are gathered from the U.S. Census Bureau which Bloomberg website uses as well.  

As I type this post, there is currently in 2018 a $65 Million trade deficit in favor of the EU.

In 2017 that deficit tallied up at $151.3 Million

Up until 2012, the trade between the two was roughly equal.  Since 2012, it has been steadily moving to the favor of the EU. Since then the imbalance favoring the EU totals $905 Million.

I will say now that I understand there are differences between the economies of the EU.  But looking at the population difference, with the US containing only 64% of the number or consumers that reside in the EU, these numbers look terribly lopsided.

If, for instance Ford Motor Company wishes to sell a Ford Taurus in the EU, they will face a 10% Tariff.  But BMW sells it's cars in the US at a 2.5% Tariff rate.  I suppose I could find more examples but I think this is enough for us to begin a rational discussion of this issue. 

DISCLAIMER:  It is well documented on other threads in this website that I am no fan of Trump.  Let's get that out of the way from the start.  :-)

Edited by Mklangelo, 17 July 2018 - 08:09 AM.

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mklangelo

Mklangelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Please forgive my error.  All of the above figures in the thread starter should read BILLIONS, not MILLIONS.  My mistake. 

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users