Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my computer is throttling my download speed.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 j2nice78

j2nice78

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:51 AM

I hope this is the correct forum for this post. I have a Dell 7000 Series laptop running windows 10 and until recently I didn't have an issue with my bandwidth but now, I am getting all 200 Mbps on every device except the one I actually need it on... my work computer. I am only getting 32 Mbps period on this laptop, no more, no less. So, I believe something in the computer is limiting my bandwidth. My upload speed is fine at 12-14 Mbps, it's just my download speed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter, reset the network, and even reset the winsock entries and IPv4 and IPv6 stacks with no luck. I have deleted numerous apps, restarted the computer, and cycled the modem and router. If this laptop had an ethernet port, I would plug it directly in just to check that way. I am completely frustrated at this point.

I am really hoping someone has some suggestions as to why this limit might be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Work computer?  Are you connecting to work via a VPN?

#3 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

BC Advisor Thank you, it's awesome to be here.

No, I am not. We probably should be, but no.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

Wireless might be your issue.  I'd suggest picking up a cheap USB ethernet adapter and see if it improves the network speed.

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

So every device with good downs is connected to the same network as the work pute?

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#6 null__

null__

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

Is your device connecting to the router via 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? If it's connecting via 2.4, try switching it to 5.

#7 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

So every device with good downs is connected to the same network as the work pute?

Yes they are.

Edited by j2nice78, 18 July 2018 - 11:41 AM.

#8 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Is your device connecting to the router via 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? If it's connecting via 2.4, try switching it to 5.

I have tried it on both. Still only getting 32 mbps.

#9 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

It could be one of many things......software installs, malware, registry corruption, start up processes etc etc.

If none of the usual networking solutions help, start looking elswhere for whats different about this particular client that runs on the same network.

Is it possible to reset this client....ie format and reinstall OS?

No-one ever wants to hear this, but it often may save hours upon weeks chasing your tail around, especially if its registry based.

Good luck B)

#10 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

It could be one of many things......software installs, malware, registry corruption, start up processes etc etc.

If none of the usual networking solutions help, start looking elswhere for whats different about this particular client that runs on the same network.

Is it possible to reset this client....ie format and reinstall OS?

No-one ever wants to hear this, but it often may save hours upon weeks chasing your tail around, especially if its registry based.

Good luck B)

I am just about at the point of doing the reset. I have tried looking for malware, looking at everything that has been installed in the past few weeks, etc. I simply cannot find the problem. 

I also tested this computer on a different network yesterday and while I was able to get a little more bandwidth, it still wasn't getting the bandwidth that was available on the particular network (the other devices I tested on that network were getting 70 mbps and this computer was getting 44 mbps... which was a better percentage than what it is getting at home but still something is clearly not right with the computer.)

Thank you

#11 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Have you also checked that the NIC supports the dual radio's (namely the 5ghz spectrum)?

You could try an external USB NIC on this client at or above AC1200 and see if this improves speeds before going down the OS format path.

I always carry an Alpha AWUS036NH in my kit for testing purposes as it also supports Linux/Mac/Windows.

:)

#12 null__

null__

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

Try booting into a live Linux drive and test the hardware that way. If you're still getting the slower speeds, its the NIC that's causing you the issue. How old is the laptop?

#13 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

Try booting into a live Linux drive and test the hardware that way. If you're still getting the slower speeds, its the NIC that's causing you the issue. How old is the laptop?

That's not a bad idea. I may try that.

The laptop is less than a year old. In fact, I bought it at Best Buy in January. 

Also, to clarify, it was getting speeds in excess of 100 mbps but now suddenly I can only get 32 mbpps.

#14 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

Have you also checked that the NIC supports the dual radio's (namely the 5ghz spectrum)?

You could try an external USB NIC on this client at or above AC1200 and see if this improves speeds before going down the OS format path.

I always carry an Alpha AWUS036NH in my kit for testing purposes as it also supports Linux/Mac/Windows.

:)

It does. And previously it had been getting upward of 100 mbps, then it suddenly wouldn't go above 32 mbps. I cannot figure it out. 

I had thought that maybe it was something with the router but when I was getting poor bandwidth on a different network at a different house yesterday, that sort of solidified in my mind that it has to be something with the computer.

If I were to connect to ethernet, I would definitely have to use an external adapter anyway as, in their infinite wisdom, Dell decided this laptop did not need an ethernet port. How you can say a laptop is business class and not include an ethernet port is beyond me.

#15 j2nice78

j2nice78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

Got it! 

Apparently one of the pieces of software Dell provides is something called Smartbyte by Rivet Networks. What it does is manage bandwidth.

Deleted Smartbyte and just like that, 200 mbps on my laptop. Woohoo!

Edited by j2nice78, 20 July 2018 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users