Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ext. Hard Drive Check Disc Too Long?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bifbangpow

bifbangpow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

Hi. I use an external hardrive for a lot of my work. Its a LaCie D2 Quadra V3. Lately I had been receiving an error that the disc needed to repair some files, asking if I wanted to scan and repair or just ignore it. I finally decided yesterday morning to "Scan and repair" the files. At 7am the program began scanning the disc to "Automatically find and fix file system errors". Today at 6pm the scan is nowhere near even half way done. It's scanning one file at a time at a speed just under one file per second. Now, given there are a good amount of files on this external hard drive that seems understandable. But I'm wondering if I should just cancel it at this point. It worries me that it's working my computer this hard at this rate. It doesnt look like it will be done for a another few days. What would you do?

External Hard Drive: D2 Quadra V3

HP ZBook G2

Windows 7

intel core i7 vPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

Stopping chkdsk before stage 3 will likely cause file system corruption. Even stopping at stage 4 or 5 can cause file system corruption though not has high as stages 1 to 3. chkdsk taking that long is not encouraging. I would suspect after it completes you will have quite a few files lost and placed in chk files. Doing a chkdsk on a drive that has serious file system corruption can actually make things worse. 

If I had to hazard a guess the drive may be in a failure mode but you will not be able to confirm that until chkdsk completes so you can run Seatools for Windows on the drive.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Let it run until it finishes or fails.

#4 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

Before you listen to the advice of the last two responses, you need to answer this question.  Do you have a backup of the data?

Likely one of the drives has developed bad sectors and that has likely triggered a firmware glitch which is making the drive super slow to respond.  If you allow chkdisk to continue hammering away like it is, it'll likely end up killing the drive off completely.  At that point, filesystem corruption will be the absolute least of your problems.  If you don't have a backup, I'd recommend you pull the plug right away.  Right now you've still got a very good chance of recovery that won't cost a small fortune.  The more you push your luck, the more you're going to hate the price tag later if you need recovery.

Edited by DataMedic, 23 July 2018 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users