Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New update caused my PC to slow down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Today I got two new updates from Windows Update. After I installed them the PC started to slow down like hell. Even just opening chrome took 3 times longer. And the games I used to play at 35 fps started to be around 10-15 fps. So I think these 2 updates caused the problem.

PD00m8.png

Both of them are in the "driver updates" category but I couldn't find out what types of drivers they are.

I tried system restore like 3 times but every one of them failed.

I'm thinking about reinstalling Windows from the settings menu. It says it will keep my files but delete the programs, which means delete my games. I don't want my games to be deleted so I'm thinking about putting all of them in a zip file somewhere safe.

But that's a lot of work! If you could reccomend me something easier and more efficient that would be great. What should I do here?

Acer Aspire E 15, E5-553G

Windows 10

Edited by frusciante54, 15 July 2018 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

Try a repair install, before you try re-installing windows from the settings menu (you will lose third party apps and programs) This way, you will not lose any programs or apps. 

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

Picture needs fixing---

screenshot_48.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Picture needs fixing---

screenshot_48.jpg

Sorry about that. But I did a reinstall of windows so the Windows Update history is deleted and I don't have the URL right now. But I remember what they were

Acer Incorparated - HID class 

Insyde software firmware update

Both of them were drivers. However, I don't think they had anything to do with AMD. Even after I did a re-install of Windows the problem was still there.

Then... Just now, I used the AMD cleanup utility and it seemed to fix it. So I guess it had something to do with the AMD drivers?

Just before I did those 2 updates, I also updated my AMD drivers. But I never suspected them because in the past I've done the same thing like 20 times (install AMD drivers, clean all of them, install again etc). I don't understand why they created this problem but... What should I do here? I can't continue without my drivers, I need to play my games.

#5 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

I just fixed it. I checked msinfo and found out that the "insiyde firmware update" was actually a bios update. Which is strange because I have never seen a bios update installed via Windows Update.

Anyway, it took me a while but I figured out how to downgrade my BIOS and the pc is back to how it used to be. Problem solved.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

That is correct, Windows can deliver UEFI firmware updates through Windows Updates. This may have had something to do with the Spectre/Meltdown issue but I can't say for sure.

I would recommend you disable Windows 10 ability to update drivers.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

#7 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

This is going to be really usefull. Since pointless driver updates usually cause pc errors and I try hard to prevent them. Thank you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

You're welcome. The last time I allowed Windows Update to install a driver it gave me a BSOD. That was for Windows 7. Supposedly Windows 10 does a better job with drivers but I wouldn't know because I refuse to install it.

#9 jvjannotti

jvjannotti

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

I just fixed it. I checked msinfo and found out that the "insiyde firmware update" was actually a bios update. Which is strange because I have never seen a bios update installed via Windows Update.

Anyway, it took me a while but I figured out how to downgrade my BIOS and the pc is back to how it used to be. Problem solved.

Can you say more about how you did this please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users