Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Build or Prebuilt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moose620

moose620

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

I am curious for thoughts on the type of system to build or buy online (Dell, HP, etc).  I would prefer the quicker the build time the better and if a prebuilt system is within a $100-400 of a custom built desktop would prefer prebuilt.  Large files will be saved on cloud / server.  Light gaming / video edit usage as well.  Mainly data analytics / excel or access use. 

System:

3-4 Monitors (not 4k) Supported

Desktop Tower

Windows / Office

Programs Used (Min/Recommend Specs):

Bloomberg Professional (16gb ram / 8gb free hard drive space / intel 4th gen core i7)

Tableau (2gb ram / 1.5 gb free hard drive space)

Excel/Access/Office ( 2gb ram / 3gb free hard drive space)

Chrome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

This right here eliminates any pre built in your budget

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Any built desktop...offers flexibility and ability to adjust individual components to changing desires/needs...that may not exist or may prove overly expensive with an OEM system, IMO.

Louis

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

This right here eliminates any pre built in your budget

I beg to differ, not necessarily,  I ran three monitors off an HP EliteBook 840G1 docking station without a problem.  It does limit the number of machines, they will need a dedicated video card.

The real question is how much are you looking to spend?  From what you're looking for, I'd say your over $1,000 and the closer to $2,500 you can go the better.  Memory and video card prices these days are really increasing the costs of machines.  The recent budget gaming build in PC Gamer was over $1,000 and they used to be closer to $500.

Edited by Kilroy, 16 July 2018 - 02:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users