Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inkjet vs Laserjet

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Seems I may need to get a new printer but money is a big concern for me. Would like my current printer to work but have no idea what the issue is and whether worth spending money on it to repair seeing as how old it is now.

What I would like to know is which is better to buy if I need to get a new printer. Inkjet or Laserjet printer?

Been advised laserjet printers are the best to get as ink lasts much more longer and you don't have as many issues as inkjet.

Anyone able to provide pros and cons of both types of printers?

Also with so MANY printers out there which is the best for quality and cost efficient on ink?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

IMO...there's really no contest...laserjets are the better value, regardless of usage level.

Inkjets are ultra-cheap...because the manufacturers make their money from those continuous purchases of inkjet cartridges that are a trademark of inkjets.  The hardware is the lure to actual selling of toner.

Quality-wise...I believe that all printers do the job for the average user at home.  Corporate or large-business-entity usage...is not the inkjet market.

One Set Of Opinions... 

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#3 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

IF you don't mind me asking why would you say Laserjets are overall better than Inkjets? As I have read alot of articles and for me it seems both are equal for pros and cons and really baffled as to what is right one to get.

You are right Inkjets are very cheap but ink cartridges are where the money is at for the manufacturers. The insane prices for the inkjet cartridges is just not right imo. Ripping of people plain and simple.

From what I have read regarding both its hard to decide.

Inkjet pros

Low cost of printer

Best for colour print and printing photos

Less noisy and smaller in size

Has all types of extra features like scan, fax, copy etc

Cons

Quality of black and text not as sharp as laser

Ink cartridge cost very expensive as you will have to change regularly

Laserjet pros

Sharp black text

Really fast prints

Much less cost for the toners over long term

Cons

Bulky and noisy

Not good with colour and photographs

Costs alot for the laserjet and toners in comparison to inkjets and inkjet cartridges. 

So which would be best for me?

Which are the best printers to get at the moment for quality, speed but more importantly cheap ink/toner costs?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

I asserted...my opinion, which is, of course, based on my prejudices, likes, etc.

I used inkjets for most of my computing "career" :)...until about 6 years ago when I realized that a laser mono printer suited me better than any inkjet...for what I use my computers for (mainly documents).  I haven't printed a photo of any sort in ages and the proliferation of digital cameras on just about every device (and the ownership of 3 digital cameras) doesn't seem like I ever will again.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

I don't see any reason to be baffled as the link hamluis provided was very good imo.

Which are the best printers to get at the moment for quality, speed but more importantly cheap ink/toner costs?

Here is your answer from your Quote above:

Laserjet pros

Sharp black text

Really fast prints

Much less cost for the toners over long term

Quality differs as usual.  We lean towards the Brother Printers.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

I have limited space in which to place a printer, but a scanner was also needed.  The cost led me to the inkjets and the AIO options that weren't available in a laserjet and still be on budget.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

Like hamluis I'm a fan of the laser printer.  Laser printers use toner which is dry to start with.

There are two implementations where an ink jet is better, t-shirt transfers and over head projection slide creation.  Laser printers use heat to melt the toner to the paper making them a liability for these two applications.

Ink cartridges are good for hundreds of pages, toner cartridges are good for over a thousand, I've seen as high as 4,000 pages.

If you're printing volume laser will pay for itself in no time.

If you're printing pictures I recommend uploading them to a site and let them print them.  The cost savings in time and supplies is more than worth it.

The two big questions are how much are you willing to pay and do you need color?  You can pick up a black and white laser for $50 to $100.  If you need color you're looking at closer to $250.  While you may be able to purchase an inkjet printer cheaper the added ink costs will quickly get you to the laser printer price tag.

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

I switched to laser printers years ago because inkjets used to clog up if you didn't print enough or everyday or the weather was humid or dry or something. I don't know if that is still a problem. I let my laser printer sit for months during an ill health time and turned it back on and it printed w/out problem. I also wanted permanent printed copies since I was in legal litigation hockeysticks. Lasers are more expensive than inkjets and the toner cartridges are also expensive, but the two printers I had lasted longer than any inkjet my sister has had and printed many, many pages per cartridge. Lasers are also much heavier - I have to have muscle help to unpack and set one up or to move it - and it needs a stable, strong place to sit. I've had 2 lasers since 2004 and got both on sale. I loved the Minolta Magicolor 2300DL, which printed on plain paper, hardstock and photo and was old but still working well when I got the Brother HL 4070 [on sale] because it had automatic duplex printing vs the manual duplex of the Minolta. The Brother died due to a toner cartridge leak - I might could have saved it but the leak came at another bad health time. It was a new Brother cartridge, too, but I can't complain because I didn't give Brother the opportunity to help me resolve the problem. I have found Brother customer service available and helpful in the past.

It's hard to buy a printer - or a weather radio - or anything these days. Technology moves too fast, they are all either the same or you're trying to compare apples and oranges. I'd like to be able to hire one of those expert shoppers.

If you print a lot of multi-page documents a laser is probably better than an inkjet. I have binders full of research I've printed out and an inkjet just wouldn't have handled it and it would have taken a lot of ink. My Minolta printed color graphics on hardstock well [I like to make labels for my many file folders so I can spot the right one quicker] and also did well on photo paper. But I'm not a serious photographer and now never print pics. I think inkjets are best if you wish to print high quality photos, but a laser might be adequate for family photos. Just check that it handles photo paper.

To replace the Brother I am currently considering the Canon imageCLASS MF634Cdw which is currently at a good price on Amazon and Best Buy - around $250. It is an AIO w/ wireless networking and does both duplex scanning and printing. It does not handle photo paper and only up to 43 lb bond, which I don't know whether is hardstock or not. I do like printing my labels and signs for boxes w/ pics of the object stored on the outside. I hate looking thru boxes for things. Comments I have come across indicate the setup is straightforward and printing quality is good but the LCD is hard to see for older folks and the touch icons are hard to activate. It is also 48 lbs.

I am avoiding any HP printers - laser or inkjet. My sister has the hp office jet 6964 and is still struggling to get it to scan in multi-page pdfs - a common problem w/ that AIO from my research on the net. It seems you have to get the right software downloaded and not necessarily from the included CD. It came w/ no manual on the included CD and setup via the LCD menu is not all that intuitive. A friend's hp printer was a pain and my sister's win8.1 hp laptop is close to a lemon in my opinion - slow.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

I always used Lasers in my offices, I have since bought three inkjets all of which have let me down.  I am back to a laser and will never look back!

Edited by OldPhil, 22 July 2018 - 06:21 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

If I were an office user where there was very large printing volume it would be a laser printer, hands down.

But, I'm not.  I've been using inkjet printers at home for years now, and tend to get at least 5 years out of each.  I do not use OEM ink cartridges and one of the first things I do is to buy refillable cartridges with auto-reset chips (ARCs).   I have a virtual lifetime supply of inkjet ink that cost me well under $50 for a collection of liter sized bottles of pigmented black, dye based black, magenta, cyan, and yellow.  I keep the actual refill supply in hair dye bottles which allows me to pop the tip in the opening on the cartridge, squeeze gently, and have it refilled in seconds.

If I had the room and didn't mind the aesthetics, there are tons of Continuous Ink Supply Systems (CISS) out there for any inkjet you can name.

I have need for scanning and photo printing, too, so it's much more economical to buy an inkjet multifunction and use refillable cartridges than it is to acquire a color laserjet to begin with, and the toners for laser printers are more expensive than many very good inkjet printers.  There is no doubt if all you're doing is heavy duty printing of black & white text and/or grayscale, or even printing color that doesn't need to be high photo quality, a laser printer is more economical in the long run (if one were to be using an inkjet and OEM cartridges otherwise).

I don't know that this is the case with either a CISS or refillable ARC cartridges with an inkjet.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

I've got an old Lexmark printer that's about 12 years old and still prints well as the inkjet cartridges have the head, not the printer. I can usually get about 4 refills with bulk ink on a cartridge and for me that lasts a very long time for the amount of printing I do. But, even the re-manufactured cartridges are getting harder to find as Lexmark exited the business of inkjets years ago.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

12yrs old haha, you've got me beat by about three years!  I have an old HP c4750 that works great with so many computers connected I can't count anymore.  Multiple Linux machines and Multiple Windows machines.  Haven't used color print since I got it, would probably have to tear it apart and clean it all out to get it to work at this point for color.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

12yrs old haha, you've got me beat by about three years!  I have an old HP c4750 that works great with so many computers connected I can't count anymore.  Multiple Linux machines and Multiple Windows machines.  Haven't used color print since I got it, would probably have to tear it apart and clean it all out to get it to work at this point for color.

Same here. The Lexmark can only print black. Color stopped years ago.

#14 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

So my brother had just bought me a laser printer without me even knowing. Not sure if this is good or bad seeing the cost of the printer he paid and toner prices. Dont think he cared if my old printer can be fixed or not. Gutted as feel money down the drain.

Nonetheless the one he bought is the HP M477fdn.

Just want to know is there not supposed to be a USB cable as my old printer has always been connected to the computer to print?

Is it true this printer has to be connected to the internet at all times to work and will on work with direct connection as there is no wifi built in?

What concerns me now is how far the printer is from my router. There is no feasible way to get a longer ethernet cable to printer.

So this seems like an absolute waste. Didnt know printer HAD to be connected to the internet to work. My old canon printer never needed to be connected to the internet.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

That model does not have built-in wireless (WiFi) capability.

You can connect it to your computer via USB or to your LAN via ethernet.

It doesn't matter if a printer is connected to a LAN via ethernet or WiFi (when capable).  If it is, it can be used as a network printer via the usual way you set one up under the OS you're using (probably "Add a network printer" under Windows).

If the printer is connected to a computer via USB, and the computer is connected to the LAN via WiFi, you can turn on printer sharing under Windows and still be able to print to it from any other device on the LAN (provided, of course, that the computer it's connected to, which acts as the print server, is on).  The printer is, technically, not a network printer but is a local printer to the computer to which it's connected via USB, but is shared on the network.  That sounds like what you were doing with the Canon printer you had and it's what I used to do with a number of printers before I got my first WiFi capable printer.

You really need to read the Quick Start guide, and User Manual that come with your new printer or can be downloaded from the support page for it:  https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477-series/7326560/model/7326579

Edited by britechguy, 30 July 2018 - 05:11 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users