Hello, did u update the bios or kept the same one?
I'm am looking for the original bios that came with the computer.
Okay, it's been a real journey, but I've done loads of research online and went through all the support documentation I could find on the h8-1214. I've also contacted HP (the computer manufacturer), Gigbyte (the motherboard manufacturer), and AMD (the processor manufacturer). When information on my machine didn't exist, I started experimenting to see what would work.
I had BIOS version 7.12, and the newest version for my motherboard was 7.16; however, HP was unsure if I should update because the update was made for Windows 7, and I am currently running Windows 10. I backed up my BIOS, downloaded and installed the update with no issues. I've been running the updated BIOS for three weeks with no problems. I could not find the BIOS update listed on HP's support page for my PC under the Windows 8/8.1 section, but I did find it under the Windows 7 section. That's where I got my install from.
After that, I installed a new power supply (650w, bronze), new Hybrid HHD (2TB 7200RPM, 8GB SSD Cache), and a new SSD (250GB), and a completely fresh install of Windows 10 64-bit. Windows is on the SSD, everything else on the Hybrid HHD. I had to configure Windows 10 to automatically install things on the HHD instead of the SSD, but it is do-able with a little leg work.
Next, I tried to upgrade to a new graphics card. Following the support documentation, I purchased a GTX 1080i. The card didn't work. It plugged in just fine, and was 100% compatible with my PC according to the documentation. However, it would not boot past the splash screen with the new card installed. I contacted HP, who assured me that the card I had chosen was compatible and should work. I went through two HP support people who told me there is no reason the card wouldn't work, so it must be 1.) my power supply, 2.) the card is dead, or 3.) the PCI slot is dead. I know the power supply was good and supplied more than enough power. It is brand new and powered another graphics had with the same power demands in a different computer. I know the card was good - it worked in a different computer. I know the PCI slot was good, it worked fine with the default graphics card.
After some more work, I discovered that the motherboard's BIOS doesn't support any newer graphics cards, and I have to find one with legacy support. I am in the process of doing that now, but the challenge is that anything that would support it is no longer manufactured, and thus costs hundreds of dollars for a used card that really only worth $50-$80 for the performance and age.
As for the processor, HP said the PC only supports 6-core processors, and only the ones listed in the documentation. AMD told me that the motherboard should work with any processor with the same power demands and chipset. To be safe, they recommended I get something in the same product line as the original AMD FX-6100, so I looked at both the AMD FX-8350 and the AMD FX-8370. Gigbyte told me there's a 99% chance both of those processors would work, and a 1% chance they would not work. I guess HP is being super lazy and not even looking at the support documentation to help me, because the highest officially supported processor for this PC is an 8-core processor, so their "this PC only supports 6-cores" is a load of crap. Additionally, they were wrong about the graphics card. LESSON: HP has no vested interest in helping with support for legacy products, and won't be of any help apart from providing documentation and (old) drivers.
I have ordered the AMD FX-8370, 4.0Ghz 8-core CPU from Amazon for $80 new. I'll install it Monday, and update this thread with my results. Once the processor problem is sorted out, I plan to start the hunt for a readily available graphics card with legacy support, and update this thread again when and if I find one.
I know there's a ton of information in this, and some of it goes beyond just processor info. I'm posting everything I've found/done here because there are loads of people asking these questions on the internet, but literally no answers anywhere. I'm putting all the information I find regarding the h3-1214 and compatible updates/upgrades here. On that note, don't trust HP's "updated" drivers, as they are all old. I used DriverEasy to identify and download the drivers for free, and then manually installed them. It updated everything except my old graphics card. Be sure to create a restore point using Windows before you update any drivers, and be sure to back up your BIOS before trying to update that.