Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Processor for HP Pavilion HPE Series Model# H8-1214

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SageRaziel

SageRaziel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

Background Info:

I have an HP Pavilion HPE Series Model# H8-1214 that was previously running Windows 7 (with no apparent issues). Awhile back, I tried updating it from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (free update); however, the process always failed. I contacted Microsoft support, and they had me wipe my hard drive with KillDisk. After that, they had me download and burn to a disc an ISO of Windows 10 to install on my machine. Still, though, the installation process failed. Microsoft then told me that the error I was getting could mean that my computers memory is bad. It's been awhile, but I finally decided to look into this problem. I ran MemTest, and sure enough, I had several thousand errors. I'm going to go ahead and replace my RAM, and I figured since it's already an older computer and I'm going to have it open anyway, I might as well upgrade the processor too.

Problem:

The HP website says that the highest upgrade supported by the motherboard of my machine is the AMD FX-8150 (Zambezi) 125W. I can't seem to find this processor available anywhere on the internet new and at a reasonable price. I'm guessing it's because it's so old. On that note, I figure the documentation for my specific PC is probably also old, so I suppose there may be other processors that might work with my machine that simply aren't listed.

Questions:

I was wondering if I could instead use a AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor instead of the FX-8150? (NewEgg.com says its an "newer version" of the FX8150.) If not, are there other options that are more easily obtainable than the FX-8150?

Supplemental Info:

-Here's a link to HP's specifications page for my exact machine: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03154290

-Everything in my machine is the original hardware with no alterations or upgrades

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

There is no hardware reason why FX-8350 wouldn't work. In fact AM3 boards support AM3+ CPU's hardware wise, only some features like power savings are not supported.

BIOS is another question. It's possible you'll need BIOS update that HP is not likely offering. So I would say FX-8350 could work but it's also possible it does not...

#3 SageRaziel

SageRaziel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

There is no hardware reason why FX-8350 wouldn't work. In fact AM3 boards support AM3+ CPU's hardware wise, only some features like power savings are not supported.

BIOS is another question. It's possible you'll need BIOS update that HP is not likely offering. So I would say FX-8350 could work but it's also possible it does not...

The Motherboard was manufactured by Gigabyte, so wouldn't they be the ones to provide and maintain the BIOS, including updates? If that's the case, I should be able to download the BIOS update from Gigabyte, correct?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Because that's OEM part made for HP, Gigabyte says you should ask BIOS from HP. Of course Gigabyte makes BIOS for that board if HP pays them enough. But if HP has not paid yet, they won't pay later.

#5 SageRaziel

SageRaziel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

At this point, I'm considering just buying a used FX-8150 from Ebay. Any idea on the risks with this? I hate to drop $100 on this processor used when I could buy one that's better and brand new for $100.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

I don't consider FX-8150 worth $100 upgrade from FX-6100.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-6100

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8150

There is difference but I would pay at most $50 unless you can salvage some cash from FX-6300.

#7 Hyanez14

Hyanez14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

Hello, did u update the bios or kept the same one?

I'm am looking for the original bios that came with the computer.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

For the cost of this processor its just not worth it, best to keep what you have and invest that money into something else.... like a SSD or something

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 SageRaziel

SageRaziel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

Hello, did u update the bios or kept the same one?

I'm am looking for the original bios that came with the computer.

Okay, it's been a real journey, but I've done loads of research online and went through all the support documentation I could find on the h8-1214. I've also contacted HP (the computer manufacturer), Gigbyte (the motherboard manufacturer), and AMD (the processor manufacturer). When information on my machine didn't exist, I started experimenting to see what would work.

I had BIOS version 7.12, and the newest version for my motherboard was 7.16; however, HP was unsure if I should update because the update was made for Windows 7, and I am currently running Windows 10. I backed up my BIOS, downloaded and installed the update with no issues. I've been running the updated BIOS for three weeks with no problems. I could not find the BIOS update listed on HP's support page for my PC under the Windows 8/8.1 section, but I did find it under the Windows 7 section. That's where I got my install from.

After that, I installed a new power supply (650w, bronze), new Hybrid HHD (2TB 7200RPM, 8GB SSD Cache), and a new SSD (250GB), and a completely fresh install of Windows 10 64-bit. Windows is on the SSD, everything else on the Hybrid HHD. I had to configure Windows 10 to automatically install things on the HHD instead of the SSD, but it is do-able with a little leg work.

Next, I tried to upgrade to a new graphics card. Following the support documentation, I purchased a GTX 1080i. The card didn't work. It plugged in just fine, and was 100% compatible with my PC according to the documentation. However, it would not boot past the splash screen with the new card installed. I contacted HP, who assured me that the card I had chosen was compatible and should work. I went through two HP support people who told me there is no reason the card wouldn't work, so it must be 1.) my power supply, 2.) the card is dead, or 3.) the PCI slot is dead. I know the power supply was good and supplied more than enough power. It is brand new and powered another graphics had with the same power demands in a different computer. I know the card was good - it worked in a different computer. I know the PCI slot was good, it worked fine with the default graphics card.

After some more work, I discovered that the motherboard's BIOS doesn't support any newer graphics cards, and I have to find one with legacy support. I am in the process of doing that now, but the challenge is that anything that would support it is no longer manufactured, and thus costs hundreds of dollars for a used card that really only worth $50-$80 for the performance and age.

As for the processor, HP said the PC only supports 6-core processors, and only the ones listed in the documentation. AMD told me that the motherboard should work with any processor with the same power demands and chipset. To be safe, they recommended I get something in the same product line as the original AMD FX-6100, so I looked at both the AMD FX-8350 and the AMD FX-8370. Gigbyte told me there's a 99% chance both of those processors would work, and a 1% chance they would not work. I guess HP is being super lazy and not even looking at the support documentation to help me, because the highest officially supported processor for this PC is an 8-core processor, so their "this PC only supports 6-cores" is a load of crap. Additionally, they were wrong about the graphics card. LESSON: HP has no vested interest in helping with support for legacy products, and won't be of any help apart from providing documentation and (old) drivers.

I have ordered the AMD FX-8370, 4.0Ghz 8-core CPU from Amazon for $80 new. I'll install it Monday, and update this thread with my results. Once the processor problem is sorted out, I plan to start the hunt for a readily available graphics card with legacy support, and update this thread again when and if I find one.

I know there's a ton of information in this, and some of it goes beyond just processor info. I'm posting everything I've found/done here because there are loads of people asking these questions on the internet, but literally no answers anywhere. I'm putting all the information I find regarding the h3-1214 and compatible updates/upgrades here. On that note, don't trust HP's "updated" drivers, as they are all old. I used DriverEasy to identify and download the drivers for free, and then manually installed them. It updated everything except my old graphics card. Be sure to create a restore point using Windows before you update any drivers, and be sure to back up your BIOS before trying to update that.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:30 PM

Does your motherboard have UEFI BIOS? If not, then PCI Express 3.0 graphic card probably won't work. Also, did you really buy GTX1080 for that system?

#11 SageRaziel

SageRaziel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

Does your motherboard have UEFI BIOS? If not, then PCI Express 3.0 graphic card probably won't work. Also, did you really buy GTX1080 for that system?

No, I bought the card for my girlfriend's system, which is much newer and much better than mine. I just figured I'd try it in my PC to prove a point to HP - who insisted that card was compatible. I also threw in some other cards that I already owned just to see if I might have gotten lucky and one actually work. As of now, I'm still on the hunt for one.

On the up side, the AMD FX 8350 is fully compatible with my system - HP Pavilion h8-1214. I've installed it, and stress tested it with Prime95 for 8 hours. No errors, no problems. I've been using the computer every day (I'm typing this on it now), and I've done a variety of things from video editing to gaming with it. No freezes, crashes, blue screens, or mysterious behavior. So, I can {mostly} confirm it is compatible. To really know for sure, I'd like to update this post in several months just to be extra positive there are no problems with the new CPU.

Note, though, the h8-1214 uses the AMD3+ socket, BUT the Intel 1155 heat sink mounting solution. As such, the stock heat sink that comes with the 8350 isn't compatible. Right now, I'm using the stock heat sink that came with the system, as both the FX6100 and the FX8350 are rated at 125w. However, I am in the process of finding a better cooling solution, as I clock high 60's to low 70's Celsius when doing CPU intensive tasks for longer period of time. The CPU specs say it's temperature is supposed to stay at or below 61C. Though that is a tad low for what I can likely expect out of such a cramped case, I do believe a better cooling solution can keep heavy work loads around 65C. Typical use (web browsing, downloading, playing low-resource games, etc.) don't exceed 35C.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

I still say that PCI Express 3.0 video cards demand UEFI BIOS. Physically PCI Express 2.0 and 3.0 are compatible however.

Good to know that FX-8350 works even without official support.

#13 Smplman

Smplman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

Im in a similar situation as you. I have an H8-1234 and have installed an AMD rx-570. I had to update the bios in order to get it to work. I was getting no video after I installed my card. Updated the bios to HP version 8 and now the video card works. I had a hard time finding the bios update so the link is below.

I just received my AMD fx-8350 and found the cooler that came with it wont fit so Im going to try the stock cooler like you mentioned. Ive seen some brackets on eBay but Im not sure they will work. Let me know if you find that better cooling solution.

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=am3-b&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xam3-b+r.TRS0&_nkw=am3-b+retention

My bios update for the h8-1234
https://support.hp.com/rs-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019/model/5231572

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users