Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Processor for HP Pavilion HPE Series Model# H8-1214

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SageRaziel

SageRaziel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

Background Info:

I have an HP Pavilion HPE Series Model# H8-1214 that was previously running Windows 7 (with no apparent issues). Awhile back, I tried updating it from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (free update); however, the process always failed. I contacted Microsoft support, and they had me wipe my hard drive with KillDisk. After that, they had me download and burn to a disc an ISO of Windows 10 to install on my machine. Still, though, the installation process failed. Microsoft then told me that the error I was getting could mean that my computers memory is bad. It's been awhile, but I finally decided to look into this problem. I ran MemTest, and sure enough, I had several thousand errors. I'm going to go ahead and replace my RAM, and I figured since it's already an older computer and I'm going to have it open anyway, I might as well upgrade the processor too.

Problem:

The HP website says that the highest upgrade supported by the motherboard of my machine is the AMD FX-8150 (Zambezi) 125W. I can't seem to find this processor available anywhere on the internet new and at a reasonable price. I'm guessing it's because it's so old. On that note, I figure the documentation for my specific PC is probably also old, so I suppose there may be other processors that might work with my machine that simply aren't listed.

Questions:

I was wondering if I could instead use a AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor instead of the FX-8150? (NewEgg.com says its an "newer version" of the FX8150.) If not, are there other options that are more easily obtainable than the FX-8150?

Supplemental Info:

-Here's a link to HP's specifications page for my exact machine: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03154290

-Everything in my machine is the original hardware with no alterations or upgrades

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

There is no hardware reason why FX-8350 wouldn't work. In fact AM3 boards support AM3+ CPU's hardware wise, only some features like power savings are not supported.

BIOS is another question. It's possible you'll need BIOS update that HP is not likely offering. So I would say FX-8350 could work but it's also possible it does not...

#3 SageRaziel

SageRaziel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

There is no hardware reason why FX-8350 wouldn't work. In fact AM3 boards support AM3+ CPU's hardware wise, only some features like power savings are not supported.

BIOS is another question. It's possible you'll need BIOS update that HP is not likely offering. So I would say FX-8350 could work but it's also possible it does not...

The Motherboard was manufactured by Gigabyte, so wouldn't they be the ones to provide and maintain the BIOS, including updates? If that's the case, I should be able to download the BIOS update from Gigabyte, correct?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Because that's OEM part made for HP, Gigabyte says you should ask BIOS from HP. Of course Gigabyte makes BIOS for that board if HP pays them enough. But if HP has not paid yet, they won't pay later.

#5 SageRaziel

SageRaziel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

At this point, I'm considering just buying a used FX-8150 from Ebay. Any idea on the risks with this? I hate to drop $100 on this processor used when I could buy one that's better and brand new for $100.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

I don't consider FX-8150 worth $100 upgrade from FX-6100.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-6100

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8150

There is difference but I would pay at most $50 unless you can salvage some cash from FX-6300.

#7 Hyanez14

Hyanez14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

Hello, did u update the bios or kept the same one?

I'm am looking for the original bios that came with the computer.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

For the cost of this processor its just not worth it, best to keep what you have and invest that money into something else.... like a SSD or something

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users