Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed to Start...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RosieMontana

RosieMontana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Getting this error message. It asks me to insert my Windows disc and I do, and select start up repair and nothing happens. If I try to start Windows normally I get an error message that my battery has experience permanent failure ( it has been dead for a while), and when I hit F1, I again get the Windows Failed to Start up error. I am stuck in an endless loop. I do have the option to use F2 Setup but have no idea what to do while in that option. If you can help please answer in the simplest terms possible for this non-tech savvy user. Windows 7 Home Premium in Dell Inspiron laptop.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

Rosie, just some preliminaries

More info - what if any, is the complete error message?
How old is the machine?
Exact model number?
Has new software or a driver been recently installed?
Is the laptop used by you or others where you might not know what they do?

Malware vs incompatible software vs hardware failure.

The error message that your battery has experienced permanent failure might
not be a message about the laptop battery, it might be a small battery inside
your laptop called a CMOS battery. The request to select F2 to enter setup
is sometimes known to be CMOS battery failure.

Best practices:
Flip the laptop upside down take out the dead laptop battery that your
recharge cable is supposed to charge. You will be looking at a rectangular flap
with a spring loaded slider button, maybe two of them, to simply slide and the
battery will pop out. Remove the charging cord and then press down on the startup
button as if you were starting and keep it held down for 30 seconds.
Of course it will not start but you will be resetting some things.

Hardware failure.
Insert bad battery and plug it into the wall again.
See if it will start in safe mode:
Before you touch the start button, start pressing the F8 button up and down consistently
at about 2 clicks per second, as you keep doing this turn on the machine. If you have been
consistent with 2 clicks per second and started this clicking *before* you tried to fire up
the laptop you might enter a black screen with various "Safe Modes" that you must choose with
the keyboard's up and down arrows. Try Safe mode with networking, select it with your arrow keys
and press enter. If you get in, check your time and date and set it. Restart the laptop and see
if the date and time is still correct, if not the CMOS battery is very likely failing.

Malware - Incompatible software.
If you can get into safe mode and understand system restore, restore it back to a previous
time where you know it worked. To access System Restore open the Start Menu and the cursor will
be automatically blinking waiting for you to type. Type: restore
then you will see: 'Restore system files and settings from a restore point'
Either choose: Recommended restore (or) Choose a different restore point
I would choose a different restore point and you can select any point depending on date.
You can select: Show more restore points.

Hope this helps

Edited by Ghostwalker, 15 July 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#3 RosieMontana

RosieMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Ghostwalker, thank you for your reply.

Dell Inspiron N5050 bought in 2012.

The battery failure message" Your battery has experienced permanent failure and needs to be replaced. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility". Message goes away if I start the computer with the battery removed.

Upon striking F1: Windows Error Recovery. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose the fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally"

Launch Start-up Repair (recommended)

Start Windows Normally.

When I start windows normally, the "starting windows" screen appears and looks like it is trying to start up, but goes right away to the Windows Error Recovery Screen ( or battery failure screen if the battery was left in).

When I hit Start-up Repair, this screen comes up" Windows Failed to Start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language, click next

3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have the disc, contact your administrator or manufacturer.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

When I insert the windows installation disc, I can hear the drive running but nothing happens but the above. 

I tried all your fixes and am unable to get into safe mode, F8 clicking rapidly upon start did not work.

We were are our cabin on very slow wireless internet and decided to try to plug directly into the router for hopefully faster service when this happened. As the battery is dead, the computer shut down while moving across the room to plug into the router. It has been like this ever since.

As I said in my first message, I can access the F2 setup utility but do not know what to do in there or if it would help.

Thanks so much for trying to help me!!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

Tap F12 when booting the computer. This should give you an option to do a complete system diagnostic. That would rule out any hardware problem if computer passes the tests.

#5 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

After a web search there is a major rant about: "Battery has experienced permanent failure" at Dell.
Looks like this is a confirmed problem. By all means read all three pages! Amazon has reasonably priced
new batteries for the N5050. Be sure to read the comments about quality and sellers!

Source:
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Battery-has-experienced-permanent-failure/td-p/4176975

With the Windows failed to start: Status: 0x000000f

This error would require a system repair from the windows installation disc.

Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

Then you must boot to the disc *itself* to access 'Repair your computer'.

If your laptop is not configured to boot first from the disc like in the tutorial below,

just like the safe mode procedure, you must continually press either the F2,

F12, Delete key (or another F key - not clear which one as per Dell) to get into Boot

options. From there you must arrow key up or down to select Boot from disc

and select enter. From there you will see 'Repair your computer'. You may have

to run the 'Startup Repair' several times. You can also use 'System Restore' to

revert back to a previous good state. This Vista tutorial is the same as Seven:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Edited by Ghostwalker, 16 July 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#6 RosieMontana

RosieMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thank you Ghostwalker! Your fix worked and I had to run Startup Repair only twice. I am very grateful for your help!

#7 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

Glad it worked out Rosie. Good Job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users