Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fortnightly BSODs even after fresh W10 1803 install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BenJameson

BenJameson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Dell Inspiron 7567, Windows 10 1803 x64 OEM, 12 months old, fresh installation (6 days)

I've been having trouble with this Dell laptop for about 8 months now. Every two weeks or so, it either crashes with a BSOD, or simply screen freezes (with audio stuttering) that requires a hard reset.

Dell recently replaced the motherboard and memory, which still did not fix the problem. They then suggested a fresh install of W10 which I did last week. 

I had yet another BSOD tonight so I am putting this out here to see if anyone can pinpoint the source of the problem.

I did a quick view of the dump and it talks about 1by1.exe - I am fairly sure it isn't the problem, but have gone ahead and downloaded a fresh copy just in case.

Both the Sysnative output and minidump are attached.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

Hi. . .

There are no BSOD dumps in the Sysnative zip file.

Check system crash settings via Control Panel/System to assure that the dump type is set to "automatic".

To help increase the chance of a BSOD, run Driver Verifier. If it flags a 3rd party driver, it will force a BSOD.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576333/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

I do see that you did attach 1 dump file. Where did it come from?

The bugcheck on it was 0x7e (0xc0000005,,,) - thread threw an exception; exception was 0xc5 - memory access violation. Basically, a driver attempted to access memory that was off-limits to it. In addition to a rogue 3rd party driver, the cause can also be hardware failure.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 17 July 2018 - 02:47 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 BenJameson

BenJameson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

Hi jcgriff2,

Thanks for the quick response!

The dump file came from an overnight BSOD (returned to find that the computer had restarted). The reason why Sysnative zip file didn't contain a dump file was because I had mistakenly cut and pasted it from C:\Windows\minidump into another folder (to zip up and attach to my post). I've pasted it back now and rerun the Sysnative tools, which I have zipped and attached to this post. 

Thanks for the analysis too. I attempted to do an amateur analysis and found that my music player, 1by1.exe, was fingered in the dump file that I attached. You mentioned that it could be a driver issue - would it be more likely to be an audio driver, or could it be any driver at all?

I will give Driver Verifier a go and see if it trips anything. This is a laptop on which Dell just replaced the motherboard and memory about 10 days ago, so I am thinking that any hardware fault is likely to be somewhere else.

Will post back if I find anything useful.

Cheers!
Ben

Attached Files

#4 BenJameson

BenJameson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Ran Driver Verifier for 55 hours and no BSOD, so no luck there. Sadly it might be a hardware issue. Thanks for your help jcgriff2!

#5 BenJameson

BenJameson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:06 AM

Quick bump with a fresh BSOD, minidump is inside the Sysnative zip file. Any help reading the dump file is appreciated!

Attached Files

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Hi. . .

The bugcheck on the lone dump was 0x1a = severe memory management error. Just because "memory" is included in worded error, does not necessarily mean that RAM is at fault.

We are, however, dealing with unknown hardware failure.

Unfortunately, the dumps are incapable of telling us which piece of hardware has failed. Dumps are only good for figuring out software problems.

All I can really do here is to give you some hardware diagnostic programs to run.The problem may also be with other hardware parts such as the motherboard or PSU for which there are no software tests.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 BenJameson

BenJameson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:35 AM

Thanks so much jcgriff2. At least I've narrowed the fault down to hardware and not software - so the next step will be to contact the laptop manufacturer and work out a way to test each component.

You have been amazingly helpful, thanks once again.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users