Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about GPU-Z and PSU requirement for graphics card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ytlnytlnytln

ytlnytlnytln

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

I have a Lenovo H50-50 with i-4460(84W), 8GB DDR3, factory installed GTX 745 with factory installed 280W PSU. When I run GPU-Z with this configuration, in the "advanced" tab there are no "Board Power Limit". When I install a MSI RX 460 4GB(tdp:75W), the advanced tab reads Board Power Limit: 48W. I tested the RX460 and even if seems to run at 100 for half an hour, it does not seem to draw beyond 50W. How can I be sure it is limited by the PSU? Online power supply calculators are usually give BS results, like Cooler-Master's calculator page telling me I need 320W with factory configuration, which means Lenovo factory installed an insufficient PSU! This here https://in.msi.com/power-supply-calculator and this https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator gives much lower requirements.

I suspected that GPU-Z shows BS numbers and run it in a gaming computer with a Gigabyte-something high-spec mother board, 500W PSU, i7-4790, 16GB DDR and R7 240. It read "Board power limit: 42W" Now, that I cannot take seriously. TDP of this card is 30W and all the internet says PCI-E limit is 75W.

Whom do I believe and how to be sure if my PSU can feed RX 460?

I'm sick and tired of all PC and component manufacturers not giving sufficient specs and answers. Once again I have to ask a lengthy question in this forum. I think manufacturers should give money to forums. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this should be on software section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,334 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Actually TDP is not a measure of power consumption, Linus here sums it up pretty well

and there is this too:

As for what you really need a more reliable power calculator is this one:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Note this is all recommended wattage and not necessarily what you may or may not need.

Wattage and actual power consumption are actually two different things and what you need may vary on how you actually use your machine.

Still though it may be a good idea to invest in another PSU anyhow as the one that came from lenovo is probably a bog standard cheap PSU that can just handle the hardware you have.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users