Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Absolutely cannot get S/MIME to load in IE11 on desktop


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

Windows 7 ultimate with Office 2010 - had absolutely no problems two weeks ago.  Have tried restoring to June and issue still remains. Have completely reset IE11 including advanced.  Have deleted all history.  Have added domain to trusted sites.  Have set compatibility mode for that site.  Have reverted to IE10 emulation (which solved a similar problem in the spring when company converted to O365 email).  No matter what I have tried, I cannot get S/MIME to load in IE11 which prevents me from reading or sending encrypted emails in OWA.  Interestingly, the S/MIME options are all checked but grayed out so I can't change them yet it still tells me to install S/MIME.  I've compared the add-ins with my Win10 laptop and there are a very large number of MS add-ins that are not getting loaded in my desktop machine but are loaded in IE11 on the laptop (including S/MIME).  I have no idea what server version they are running.

 

Any suggestions welcome.

AJG


Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2018 - 11:07 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

  • BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Are they using an on-premise Exchange server, or Exchange Online? It it's on premise, what version of Exchange are they using?

 

Did you recently install any Windows or Microsoft updates?

 

Have you tried using a browser other than IE, like Chrome or Firefox?



#3 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Migrated to O365 off premise.

 

Lots of updates but I performed a restore to when it was working but still could not install s/mime.

 

Restricted to IE by policy. 

 

Works fine on Win10 laptop just not on Win 7 desktop.



#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

  • BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

You might try these troubleshooting steps.

 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/smime-wont-install/efc66af3-d322-427d-a77b-abde98b3bb91

 

If the company hasn't made any changes to their Exchange Online configuration, they may have to open a ticket with Microsoft.



#5 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Yup, have tried all of them.  Interestingly, UAC was already set to lowest - not sure if I did that.  Company is in the process of replacing all Win 7 with Win 10 but this is my home computer so I didn't think it would be an impact.  Suffice to say, perhaps they are blocking access though it would see odd that they would default to disallow encrypted emails.



#6 b52murph

b52murph

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:42 AM

I'm having exactly the same problem...IE11 w/Windows 7 (albeit pro, not ultimate). Now on two separate computers.

 

I had the problem on my laptop a few days ago after Windows auto-downloaded KB4340556, KB2952664, KB4338818, KB890830 and KB2310138. Tried uninstalling all five of those updates and still the S/MIME control wouldn't load. Something embedded in one of those updates blocks the S/MIME ActiveX for O365 Outlook Web App.

 

Yesterday, I tried S/MIME on Office 365/OWA and it worked fine on my desktop...which hadn't downloaded those updates yet. I should've trust my instincts and disabled Windows Auto-Update at the time, but alas I didn't. Hence...last night those five updates auto-downloaded to the desktop and now the S/MIME control is no longer working on the desktop system either.

 

I suspect there's a mysterious registry setting blocking the OWA S/MIME control...but what/where is escaping me! Please let me know if you find a solution.



#7 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

b52murph,

wouldn't suprise me if we are trying to access the same 365/OWA.  It works OK on my Win10 laptop.  I'm wondering if it is a backend policy rejection or an exchange issue.

AJG






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users