Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tahr Pup 6.0.5 32 Bit and Easytether

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonathanmrk

jonathanmrk

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Easytether doesn't initiate a connection in this puppy derivative. I installed drivers for Ubuntu in a .deb package and ran the code /usr/bin/easytether-usb but no connection is established. It says "Acquired Interface easytether-tap"

But running the code /usr/bin/easytether-usb -l brings a string.

How can I do this? Have a frugal install on an ext2 hard disk partition.

(Works fine with XP and Windows 7)

Edited by jonathanmrk, 14 July 2018 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

@ jonathanmrk:-

Mm. O-kay. Having just done a wee spot of Googling, and from what little bit I understand about tethering, I'm guessing you want to either:-

a ) Use a smartphone as a 'hot spot' for a computer, or

b ) Use a computer as a hot-spot for a phone.

Am I anywhere near the mark? I'm betting on the first option, yes?

You need to understand one thing here. Just because many Puppies are based on various Ubuntu releases, and usually have access to that releases' repositories, it doesn't automatically follow that Ubuntu apps will run in Puppy. In maybe 50% of cases they will.....but the rest often need a certain amount of 'tweaking' to get them to run.

Puppy has its own very unique way of doing things, y'see.....and in many cases, the native, 'home-grown', Puppy-developed version of many common applications will do the job more effectively & efficiently.

I'm pretty sure there is a Puppy method for 'tethering', but since I'm on a permanent Ethernet connection, and don't use a wi-fi connection very often, I'll need to do some research into this. Bear with me, please.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 July 2018 - 03:09 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

@ johnathanmrk:-

Back again.

Now, then. From the info I've gleaned from the guys over at the Puppy Forums, it looks like your best option is probably to use 'USB tethering'. I.e., you simply connect your smartphone to your computer/laptop via a USB cable. Then, if you use 'Dougal's Network Wizard' to connect, it should show up in the list of available adapters.

This also has the advantage of charging your phone's battery from the laptop, so it shouldn't flatten it so much.

References:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998902#998902

https://www.howtogeek.com/170302/the-htg-guide-to-tethering-your-android-phone/

....scroll down to 'Types of tethering'. USB is listed at the bottom. Apparently, you can also set your smartphone to do the same thing wirelessly by enabling 'mobile data'. Once again, this should show up as an available connection.

Let us know what happens, please!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 July 2018 - 03:12 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 jonathanmrk

jonathanmrk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

Tried all USB drivers but non was helping: connection was not recognised. Tried a 3G dongle and a piece of cake! Instantly recognised and with few tweaks I was online. Sad because I've been using this phone as a dongle all the time. Its Android 2.1. So tethering is not natively supported.

Now few more issues have risen.

1. How to transfer files with bluetooth? No bluetooth pet I tried had an option for file transferring. Pbluetooth paired the machine with two phones but file sharing was out of league.

2. Suddenly -out of the blue- screen goes black! Though menu items and task bar are accessible nothing can be done with the screen. I thought what if I was editing a doc? Within an instance all can be lost. Is this a bug that can be addressed? This installation become unusable with this single glitch.

Edited by jonathanmrk, 20 July 2018 - 05:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users