Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive on XP "GPT Protective Partition"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

I cannot access any of my files on a Western Digital 1TB My Passport hard drive on my Windows XP computer! It does not show up in "My Computer" despite the fact that the drivers were indeed installed!

When I go into Disk Management, it does list the drive albeit as "GPT Protective Partition". It will not let me assign a drive letter to the drive.

The external hard drive works flawlessly on all other computers except this one. I use this drive on several Windows 7 desktops and laptops, on a Windows 10 desktop, and my mother's Windows 8 laptop. I have no problem reading or accessing files on those computers.

It is only Windows XP that says GPT Protective Partition.

I googled GPT Protective Partition and only results pertaining to corrupted hard drives showed which is obviously not the case because the drive works everywhere else on all other computers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

XP 32bit cannot access GPT disks. Also XP has a hard time with the newer 512e and advanced format disk.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-and-gpt-faq

You can convert the GPT disk to MBR using Partition Wizard where all computers including XP can read the drive. If you do this I would back up any important data on the drive first.

I am surprised that a 1TB disk would be GPT. GPT is usually used on anything over 2TB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users