Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSODs after windows 10 upgrade on an SSD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ilwuen

Ilwuen

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Hi and thanks for your help in advance,

I upgraded my windows 7 to a windows 10 a little less than three years ago. From that time, but not earlier, I started getting sporadic BSODs with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION errors. Almost invariably, the BSOD would happen during online gaming: first with World of Tanks, lately with PUBG.

Other, possibly related notes: I upgraded the windows 10 on a new SSD. So two things changed simultaneously, the OS and the HDD. Furthermore, my network "Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection" adapter seems to be bugged: When waking from sleep mode, the adapter is not working until I go to Device Manager and press "scan for hardware changes".

Here is the link to my speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Rg86rVUU65RMJbqNBDvrL5n

Attached Files

Edited by Ilwuen, 15 July 2018 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Louis

#3 Ilwuen

Ilwuen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Thanks, I didn't notice that the file was only attached after clicking "attach".

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

A few possible issues.

C: drive - Free Space: 34.5 GB (15%) - This drive is pretty low on space. See if you can free up any space by moving some of your files to the other drive or external media, etc.

Bios Date: 07/05/2012 - Check for any Bios updates on the manufacturer website.
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

BugCheck 1A Probably caused by : memory_corruption 
Test Memory:
Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
Testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing
Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes
When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes take a picture and post an image and upload to your reply

MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#5 Ilwuen

Ilwuen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for your response! I finally managed to run memtest86 in all combinations. I have my RAM sticks in DIMM 2 and 4. Here are the results:

FAIL in pass 15, when both sticks are in.

PASS for stick #1 in both DIMMS.

FAIL for stick #2 in both DIMMS (in passes 5 and 6 respectively)

Attached are the photos for the PASSes and FAILs (expect the fail in pass 6, which I forgot to take).

Attached Files

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:06 PM

FAIL for stick #2 in both DIMMS (in passes 5 and 6 respectively)

Looks like you found your problem. Depending on where you bought your Ram you may be able to have it replaced.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#7 Ilwuen

Ilwuen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Do you think replacing the RAM will resolve all my BSODs? Also, isn't it weird that it only failed in the 15th pass?

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

Any errors that it finds is indicative of bad ram. Does it BSOD when you only have the one good ram module installed? Bad Ram is a very likely cause of BSOD's.

#9 Ilwuen

Ilwuen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

I haven't used the PC long enough with one RAM to rule out BSODs. One last question: Assuming the problem is RAM related, isn't it strange that these BSODs only started to happen precisely when I upgraded to windows 10? Seems odd that the upgrade would break hardware.

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

isn't it strange that these BSODs only started to happen precisely when I upgraded to windows 10?

It is possible that could be a driver issue but, the only way to know for sure is to test with the one ram module and see if it you get anymore BSOD's or not. If so, then we can continue from there to troubleshoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users