Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Patch Tuesday 7/10/2018 * Google Earth Pro Installed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

This post is concerning the following (Windows 10 Home Version 1803) patch Tuesday 7/10/2018 update: KB4338819 (OS Build 17134.165)

I’m reaching out for assistance. After the update above, Google Earth Pro installed on my computer (without my command) to include a shortcut on my desktop. (I’m so annoyed with this type of invasive program install.)

While searching the Internet to see if I could find an uninstall program directly from Google, I found the following from the BleepingComputer’s Uninstall Data Base:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/2486/Google-Earth-Pro/

Is there someone who can advise me if the BC uninstall is still effective and a good method to use in this case, or is there a better approach? In my past experience trying to uninstall Google Earth Pro, using Win10 Add/Remove program I found traces left on my computer. I’m hesitant to dive into using a command function or to mess with the registry without expert direction. Thank you!

(Did this happen to anyone else with this update?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

This post is concerning the following (Windows 10 Home Version 1803) patch Tuesday 7/10/2018 update: KB4338819 (OS Build 17134.165)

(Did this happen to anyone else with this update?)

Not to me.

I use Revo Pro to uninstall stuff.

Others may use other means...

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

screenshot_48.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the tip @ medab1, that's what I typically use too, however from a past experience, Google Earth can be a pill to get rid of so I'm curious if there's another known option. 

#4 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

I have Google Earth Pro on my desktop computer (Win 10 Pro 64 bit).  Installed it intentionally long ago (had plain Google Earth before).  It's very useful in my work, and in satisfying my curiosity about places I have been (most of the U.S., most of Europe, large parts of North and West Africa, most of the Middle East, most of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf countries, parts of Iran and parts of Australia).  For example: I've been a water district manager for some years.  If we get an 811 call ("call before you dig") notification that an electric utility is going to put in a pole somewhere, I can put the GPS coordinates into Google Earth and check out the area before I even drive out there, probably even see whether we have a water main there.  Always, always check out on the ground, of course.  Nevertheless, saves many hours of driving around in rough terrain - between Google Earth, and Google Maps on the cell phone, finding routes is a cinch, you won't suddenly find your way blocked by an unexpected irrigation canal..  Or when I'm writing up biological observations made in Nigeria in the 1960s, I can go look at the exact spot and refresh my memory of various details.  Most of the time.  Sometimes what was then rain forest is now a housing development.  Oh well, you can't win 'em all <G>.

Just checked my laptop (Win 10 Home 64 bit).  Speccy records the subject update KB4338819 as having been installed on July 10th.  I find Google Earth Pro on that computer too - don't remember installing it myself.  Date of installation is recorded as July 12, 2018  which I consider passing weird.  Two days AFTER the above named cumulative update (and no updates of any kind since that date, July 10).  Can someone provide a reasonable explanation of why Google is installing Google Earth Pro as part of a Cumulative Update (if indeed that is what happened), and if so why the install should happen two days AFTER the update?

Just to confuse things further, all the folders of Google Earth Pro on the DESKTOP bear the date 7/10/18, the date of the actual Cumulative Update (the Cumulative Update on both machines took place on the same day, 7/10/18; the updates were installed an hour or so apart on the evening of that day).

Another curiosum: The Google Earth Pro files are installed in C:\Windows\Program Files\ on the laptop (with date of 7/12/18); on the desktop they are installed in C:\Windows\Program Files (x86)\ (with date of 7/10/18).

Not complaining, mind, but I'm sure curious.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

I have no idea how or why Google Earth Pro ended up on anyone's machine, but it certainly would not be Microsoft's doing, as they have no interest in promoting Google's products and certainly not as part of an OS update.

I'm not going to run around to all 5 of my Win10 machines, but the two that are in this room have both had the last cumulative update applied and neither has Google Earth (regular or pro) installed on it.

It's one thing for Microsoft to include software of their own creation, some of which I'll never use, as part of Windows as a service updates but the probability that they'd include software such as Google Earth, from a company considered to be a competitor (to put it kindly), is vanishingly close to zero, if not actually zero.

Addendum:  I'd suspect the Google Update Core, and its two companion Update installers, before I'd suspect a Windows 10 Update.

See also the search results from:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+earth+installed+itself 

Edited by britechguy, 16 July 2018 - 09:08 AM.
Addendum

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thank you @britechguy for replying! That anything odd takes place running in an OS, software program or app can lead to speculation of who done it if something strange takes place! And I sure agree with you that I have not and will not turn on all of my computers to see if magically Google Earth Pro installed itself. I do not use Google Earth to have an update pushed through and, if this program was dropped by Google, I would imagine there would be a mass posting here in BC with that action. One topic I think we all can be perplexed with, is why, how and by whom do strange things take place with our computers? (Some being Malware, Spyware, Ransomware, corrupted programs, sudden BSOD’s, to include all problematic posts in our BC forum.)

The greatest emphasis of my topic was:

<-Snip> of my original post

While searching the Internet to see if I could find an uninstall program directly from Google, I found the following from the BleepingComputer’s Uninstall Data Base:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/2486/Google-Earth-Pro/

Is there someone who can advise me if the BC uninstall is still effective and a good method to use in this case, or is there a better approach? In my past experience trying to uninstall Google Earth Pro, using Win10 Add/Remove program I found traces left on my computer. I’m hesitant to dive into using a command function or to mess with the registry without expert direction. Thank you!

In my case, this topic can now be closed as I have removed Google Earth Pro.Thanks to all who contributed!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

. . . this topic can now be closed . . .

The following bears repeating when the above request is made.  Bleeping Computer does not close topics except with a few rare exceptions.

When people stop posting they just go dormant.  This seems to now be the rule, rather than the exception, on most forums.  The amount of work required of moderators to formally close all topics would drive anyone to drink (which may not be a bad thing, now that I think of it.  Skoal!).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

. . . this topic can now be closed . . .

The following bears repeating when the above request is made.  Bleeping Computer does not close topics except with a few rare exceptions.

When people stop posting they just go dormant.  This seems to now be the rule, rather than the exception, on most forums.  The amount of work required of moderators to formally close all topics would drive anyone to drink (which may not be a bad thing, now that I think of it.  Skoal!).

Apologies about my wording used. It would have been better if I had said: that I fixed my problem and thus I no longer needed any help. Thanks for the reminder as to the BC protocol. This is a good time for me to say that I do very much respect and value each and every BC staff member, I realize that all of you do have quite a momentous task keeping this forum clean from spam, and managed so wonderfully, a tremendous amount of work takes place to run forums  :)  (LOL...no excess drinking Brian!)

#9 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

I have to agree with Brian that it seems altogether unlikely that Microsoft would "package" a Google Earth Pro install as part of a Cumulative Update to the operating system.

I'm not sure, but think it's quite possible I had an old install of Google Earth (not Pro) on the laptop.  The update to Pro, two days after the Microsoft Patch Tuesday update, might be sheer coincidence.

It's a harder for me to figure out why the dates on all the numerous files and folders within the Google Earth install on my desktop machine now read July 10, 2018, the date of the MS Patch Tuesday update.  Could that be coincidence?  I thought it might have been because I opened Google Earth Pro on that day - so as a test I opened it just now, spent a few minutes looking at local land use details right here, and closed it again.  All the files and folders still have the same date of July 10th.  Does anyone have an explanation for that?

I suppose the logical thing to do is wait for the next Cumulative Update and afterward check the dates on the Google Earth Pro files and folders?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users