Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DHCP and future equipment purchases

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kenneth52

kenneth52

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

I currently have a 2 client and 1 server network connected with a 16 port switch. (Netgear GS-316) The server is running MS Server 2012R2 and I am using DHCP services from the server.

I want to:

a.  Connect this small network to the internet.   So I am going to need a cable modem.

b.   I also want to have VOIP abilities.  I would love to have 3 phone lines.  (Google Voice?)

c.   And I want an inexpensive network printer (w/ copy and fax abilities)

I am looking for suggestions on the equipment purchases.  Thanks in advance

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

What do you want to be able to do once this is connected to the Internet?  Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) will stop talking to you as soon as you mention the word server or tell you that you need a business account.

You're going to need a router, unless your going to use your sever for that.

What are you planning to use for VOIP?  There is more to it than just having a phone.  I use Ooma, they have both home and business packages.

When you say three VOIP lines are you talking three different numbers or three phones with the same number?

The printer is probably the easiest piece.  You just need to decide inkjet or laser and how much you want to spend.

#3 kenneth52

kenneth52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

I'm not too knowledgeable about Windows Server and DHCP.  However, I do understand the purpose of it.  So if the server can be used in place of the router, why not.  I'm good with that.  I do want to "own" all my equipment and not rent from the ISP.  What does a "Business" account provide me other than a higher bill!  I plan on using the internet to order inventory and check my emails. I want 3 different phone numbers(lines).  (One being a dedicated FAX)  I have a OBIHAI at home with google voice.  If I need to use Ooma in order to have 3 phone lines, thats fine too.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

I'd recommend against using the server as a router and go with a dedicated router.  In order to use the server as a router it has to have two network connections, one to the local network and one to the Internet.  Then there is configuration and what not, if you're not familiar with Windows Server I'd highly recommend not using the server as your router.

Owning your own equipment isn't that hard or expensive.  You will need a modem and a router.  You can go with one device that does both or two different devices, up to you.  The router can handle DHCP or you can let your server handle it, up to you.

A business account normally will provide you with a higher bill, static IP address, higher availability, the ability to host servers (web, mail, other).

I can't be of much help on the VOIP part of things, just asked the question so that other would know what you're looking to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users