Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC, won't show up on network, can't access network drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

I just got a refurb HP EliteDesk PC, and it set up perfectly well. Win 10 Pro, 64 bit. I have a home network with a WD Passport USB drive connected to the router, and it's visible and available to all the other computers, just not to mine. As far as I can tell everything is set up correctly.

Now, devices periodically drop off the network, most recently my husband's Canon 3-in-1 printer. It magically reappeared after he rebooted the router (Linksys06138). Other computers in the network appear and disappear on the new computer.

Any ideas for getting access to the shared drive? If you need more info, let me know and I'll try to get it for you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

I think you are coming across the latest security issue that Microsoft has patched with Wanna cry ransomware. They found that Server Message Block (SMB v1) has a flaw. So they removed it and only support v2-v3. Your router is likely still only using v1 and that is why Windows 10 will not communicate with it. However, you can reinstall SMB v1 again, but it isn't advised. Just do a search for...Turn windows features on and off in the Windows search bar. Put a check box in SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support and hit ok button. That will reinstall it and you should have access to the drive once more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users