Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update on 30gb Chromebook

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:04 AM

When I try to update Windows 10 on a Chromebook it says that there is not enough disk space.

I know I should be using One Drive but the installation doesn't give me an option to store it elsewhere other than on my hard drive

Could someone please offer me a solution

An easy step by step workaround

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:30 AM

I don't know if you would be interested in this or not---

https://www.pcmag.com/article/352209/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

As far as I know Chromebooks only come with the Chrome OS, not Windows 10. Did you install Windows 10 on this Chromebook? 

#4 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

As far as I know Chromebooks only come with the Chrome OS, not Windows 10. Did you install Windows 10 on this Chromebook? 

sorry, my mistake it's aa Acer Aspire One Cloudbook, not Chromebook with 32gb storage and 1Tb OneDrive

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

I can't understand why they put Windows 10 on these small drives. 

Did you get this before the upgrade?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013876/freeing-up-space-to-install-the-latest-windows-10-update

Also here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/not-enough-space-for-windows-10-update/2df5966b-a36b-4818-8f64-e9252f5e6620

Edit: If a USB external does not work then there are a couple of things that can be done to remove a few GBs of data. If you open Computer  or this PC and click on the C: partition how big is the hiberfil.sys file on the root of C:\?

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 July 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#6 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:44 AM

I can't understand why they put Windows 10 on these small drives. 

Did you get this before the upgrade?

Thank you JohnC_21

Just one more question

The laptop came with 1Tb cloud storage allowance

Would that not have been to use for such tasks as Windows updates as well as general storage

If this is so I have failed to figure out how to direct the update to the cloud instead of my HD since WU only gives an option to use the HD or an SD

Is there a way to do this or must I still use an SD?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

I don't think Windows can use cloud storage for updates but I don't have Windows 10. I always thought you would need local storage. The cloud is only used for data storage. I can't see it being used to upload your OS upgrade and then download to your computer for an upgrade. You can also use a USB flash drive or USB external drive vs SD.

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

You "need a bigger computer"---- Jaws movie thing...

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#9 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:22 AM

Thanks to all for advice. I was trying to help out a friend by seeking a solution.

Personally I've never owned a Cloudbook or a Chromebook and I doubt if I ever will

I agree that it's ridiculous creating a laptop to run Win 10 with only 35gb HD and so does my friend

I could only suggest that she buys and installs a larger HD but she has opted for buying a new one with a good size HD instead

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

After she purchases the new computer consider installing Linux on the Cloudbook. Mint Cinnamon is a good choice for people moving form Windows. Updates will not take anywhere near the space requirements of a Windows 10 upgrade. Mint 19 LTS end of life is 2023.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597

System requirements:

• 1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

I know of two ways to update these computers with 32 +/- GB drives and I have used both, the problem is both need access to a second computer !

The first is to download a Linux ISO and create a bootable USB from it. Then you have the choice of doing a straight Linux install or using Linux to back-up your dat and then format the disc to NTFS. The second is to download the latest version of Win10 from MS - 'for another computer' - and again create a bootable USB from the ISO file, then do a full install of the new version of Windows. In both cases you will want to back-up any data you have on the device and take a note of any installed software and their authorisation codes if any.

And I agree with John_C at #5. The only reason I can think of is that these are meant to be seen as tablets in a laptop form. You do at least get a proper keyboard !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 July 2018 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users