Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is incredibly slow. Each thing I do needs task manager open on top

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crunkkcar

crunkkcar

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:16 PM

Hi everyone, 

This is taking me so long to post because my laptop, Windows 10, is crawling. Basically its running in super slow motion/lag mode and will not open what i need, or complete loading a tab or web page unless i open task manager and unminimize it. Im up to date on the windows updates and my Kapersky, ive ran chkdsk and no errors found. 

laptop specs:

-DELL XPS 12

-Intel Core i5-4200 CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz

-RAM: 4.00GB

-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

-version 1803

iOS Buiuld: 17134.112

Please excue any typos, it simply takes to long to hit backspace and try to fix mistakes due to the major lag. 

plese help , this is driving me insane!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

Try the steps in this video. This should speed it up a bit. 

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hi, almost certainly it's Kaspersky that is your problem, you really should only use windows defender, offers superior protection and is so far in front with updated definitions, the life of third party home av's is coming to an end (thanks MS). You will need to use their uninstaller to be rid of it. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

You can find and download the Kaspersky uninstall tool here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 crunkkcar

crunkkcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

I have Windows Defender turned off on my PC so there should not be a conflict running Kapersky? 

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

It's not the conflict with Windows Defender. Windows 10 doesn't seem to like it. I recommend Malwarebytes, instead. I use Kaspersky only for a live environment on my flash drive, now. 

Hi, almost certainly it's Kaspersky that is your problem, you really should only use windows defender, offers superior protection and is so far in front with updated definitions, the life of third party home av's is coming to an end (thanks MS). You will need to use their uninstaller to be rid of it. 

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/367208-any-problems-known-with-latest-kis-and-latest-windows-10/

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Hi, kaspersky is a troll, it is coded to read .xml files especially those collected by Superfetch (prefetch file), which in forensic science opens a way to analyze most of the data this computer has accessed, it was discovered by our own scientific team and the 5 eyes alerted. Security from a government perspective has become a high priority and MS have responded, Windows defender is now vastly superior not only in it's integration into the OS but also it's ability to detect and prevent malicious processes, no one is perfect, and there will be failures, so don't expect miracles.

State sponsored cyber attacks are real the threat to our state security is real, so we must respond, a crippling cyber attack to your countries infrastructure and computer controlled systems (all essential services) would allow an enemy to gain significant advantages over you, without a shot being fired.

I have said this before, knowledge is power, and MS through it's telemetry program have a vastly superior database to prepare against malicious processes, all third party AV's combined don't even come close. The threat is real, complacency has lead to two world wars, we don't want another. Please do yourself a favor, and for your own protection use windows defender, not any other third party AV, it is an industry that never deserved to exist.

#8 crunkkcar

crunkkcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:04 AM

So if I did not mention that I use Kapersky... what would you think is the problem and/ or next step in finding a solution? 

#9 crunkkcar

crunkkcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

So if I did not mention that I use Kapersky... what would you think is the problem and/ or next step in finding a solution? 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

You did mention Kapersky, you had responses to this.  I would suggest uninstalling this and use the uninstall tool to remove it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

It's not the conflict with Windows Defender. Windows 10 doesn't seem to like it. I recommend Malwarebytes, instead. I use Kaspersky only for a live environment on my flash drive, now. 

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/367208-any-problems-known-with-latest-kis-and-latest-windows-10/

Jenae has quit accurately explained Kaspersky and the concerns regarding it being a troll.  As for Kaspersky not liking Windows Defender... this is a program, not a sentient entity which is capable of forming opinions.  With Windows 10, Windows Defender was designed to work seamlessly with the operating system and is being recognized as one of the best antivirus programs out there today.  As for the dialogue at the Kaspersky website, what else would you expect to hear from their website? 

As for suggesting the use of Malwarebytes Antimalware, I'm guessing that you are suggesting the use of the 3.3.1 version, not the 2.2 version.  This is reputed (by Malwarebytes) to be a complete package which not only includes the usual malware software but it touts it to be capable of replacing any antivirus.  But the general consensus seems to be that this is not accurate.  Advanced protections system such as this are difficult to test and subsequently score poorly in tests designed for the usual antivirus programs.  In my own opinion, the only advantage the 3.3.1 version is that it is an active antimalware which adds another layer of protection when online especially.  But if you are using good browsing practices the need for a program like this decreases.

PC Magazine is recognized as a reputable source of information for computer technology and their reviews.  The following was their opinion of the 3.3.1 version of Malwarebytes Antivirus. 

"Pros

Includes exploit protection, ransomware protection, behavior-based detection. Can work in conjunction with traditional antivirus. Works well with Windows Defender.  This is a direct quotation from PCMag.com

Cons

Advanced protection systems are difficult to test. Scores poorly in tests designed for traditional antivirus.

Bottom Line

Malwarebytes Premium has so many advanced protection layers that the company deems it an antivirus replacement. However, we still advise using it in conjunction with a dedicated antivirus utility."

Edited by dc3, 15 July 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#12 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

Malwarebytes is my recommendation. Some people don't like it. I do. I, certainly, wouldn't recommend it, if I hadn't been using it for years. I have not ever gotten malware on my system, and it has caught multiple attempts many times. There are other programs out there that I use as well. I just don't use them in the installed version. Unfortunately, a single antivirus-antimaiware solution is not out there. But, this is the program I use, and I have had no problems with it. 

#13 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

In response to this post, having used Kaspersky on my Windows 10 system, I know that Kaspersky caused problems for me. It works fine in a live environment, but I notice that when Windows was loaded, it was causing my system to have errors and be sluggish. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users