Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Windows 10 upgrade failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sbutk1

sbutk1

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

Good day to you all,

Recently I’ve had the pleasure of a member of BleepingComputer’s help team (garioch7) successfully helping to diagnose a problem I had with a failing internal hard drive.  He was quite helpful, indeed, in assisting me to troubleshoot my computer’s woes, but he nobly absolved himself of responsibility for my next request, as it falls even further outside his area of expertise…

As part of that recent computer overhaul with help from the BleepingComputer team, I replaced the aforementioned internal HDD, and also successfully - by all indications (and confirmed by my helper) – upgraded [for free] from my prior Windows 7 Pro OS to Windows 10 Pro …even though my upgrade earlier this month came well after Microsoft’s advertised free upgrade period supposedly ended.

To accomplish this, I followed the instructions in the following article:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

As I’ve said, all indications (including desktop environment, Windows Update History, etc.) are that I do indeed have a legitimate working copy of the Windows 10 Pro OS on my computer currently. 

…So the problem is that, when I then attempted to follow the same procedure and install Windows 10 on a second computer in my household, I seem to have run into a roadblock. 

To date, I have not been able to complete even the first step, the actual download of Windows 10.  On my initial attempt, the download process ran to about 98% completion, before returning the error code:

0xC1800103-0x90002

With the help of a Google search for that error code, I found a YouTube video offering what seemed like a quick fix, involving: deletion of the contents of Windows’ SoftwareDistribution folder; followed by some tweaks in Windows settings that involved the Automatic/Manual installation of Windows Updates. 

On my subsequent download attempt, the download process seemingly went to completion; although, after doing so, returned an error message mentioning (and I paraphrase):

“Failure to authenticate Product Key”

…Which made me realize that, true, I’d never been asked to enter a Product Key… but then again, neither was I ever asked to do so at any time during my successful Windows 10 conversion on the first computer! 

So, that’s where I stand.  I’m wondering if anyone can help me figure out what’s wrong, and why I haven’t been successful with the second computer’s Windows 10 upgrade?  Especially when the first, on a separate computer, seems to have worked to a tee.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

To date, I have not been able to complete even the first step, the actual download of Windows 10.

Are you talking about  the actual download or the install itself. If you cannot successfully download using the Media Creation Tool download your Windows 10 version using the Windows iso downloader and burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html

Here is the direct link

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Edit: I forgot to mention that it would be in best interests to create a disk image of your Windows 7 install  to a USB external drive in case the Windows 10 install goes south.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2018 - 03:52 PM.

#3 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

Thank you, I will give the download from the HeiDoc site a try at my next convenience, and see if that produces desirable results.

...And yes, I've already done an image of the computer's hard drive using EaseUS.  My previous helper was quite diligent about instilling that practice in me.  :)

#4 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

If you cannot successfully download using the Media Creation Tool download your Windows 10 version using the Windows iso downloader and burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html

Here is the direct link

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Hi there.  Sorry it's taken a few days to get back to you; but as a relative newbie to this type of stuff and not knowing entirely what I'm doing, I've been proceeding a bit slower than usual...

As you instructed me, I first attempted to download the Win10_1803_English_x64.iso file using "Computer #2", the machine onto which I'm aiming to install Windows 10.  However, for some reason this did not work for me.  Even after invoking the download process, I waited over 2 hours and the progress bar never budged from 1%!

So I [naively] tried instead to download it via my other computer, "Computer #1", that already has Windows 10 on it.  This download was successful, as was the burning of that file to a DVD.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, as soon as I placed that disk into the drive of Computer #2 and tried to run Setup.exe, it gave me an error along the lines of

"D:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL either was not designed to run on Windows (or some other error occurred).  Try installing program again."

Again, my hunch is that this error resulted from creating the disk on a computer other than the one I'm trying to install Windows 10 on; but I've already explained my rationale for doing so. 

Can you offer any suggestion as to what my problem might be, or what I can try next?  Thanks!

Edited by sbutk1, 16 July 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Most installation media is created on a machine other than the one it's being used for.   There is no requirement that installation media be created on the machine on which it will be used.

Please see the instructions, now pinned at the start of this forum, on Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.  

Please download the current Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool (MCT) only.  You may, if you wish, have the MCT create a bootable USB drive or you may elect to save the ISO then either burn it to DVD or use a utility such as Rufus to create bootable USB media [I always do the latter].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

Most installation media is created on a machine other than the one it's being used for.   There is no requirement that installation media be created on the machine on which it will be used.

Thanks for setting me straight.  That does make sense to me from the point of view of utility, so it's likely I misinterpreted what I read in the article.

Please see the instructions, now pinned at the start of this forum, on Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.  

Please download the current Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool (MCT) only.  You may, if you wish, have the MCT create a bootable USB drive or you may elect to save the ISO then either burn it to DVD or use a utility such as Rufus to create bootable USB media [I always do the latter].

And thanks for the link to those detailed steps.  (I'm good at following instructions; just, many times, I need all the guidance I can get!)

I'm going to try going the "Rufus" route, at my next earliest convenience, and see if I have luck with that.  And I'll be sure to report back (either on my progress, or lack thereof).

Thanks again, and have a great day!  :)

Edited by sbutk1, 16 July 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#7 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

You may, if you wish, have the MCT create a bootable USB drive or you may elect to save the ISO then either burn it to DVD or use a utility such as Rufus to create bootable USB media [I always do the latter].

Thank you again for all your help.  Tonight I am able to claim success  :bananas:  with regard to getting Windows 10 onto my target computer.  It took a bit of perseverance, as the procedure must have been modified a bit since your detailed instructions were originally written in January; but in the end I managed to bang my way through it.

I have just one further concern:  Before my efforts to install Windows 10, I'd created an image of the hard drive (and all its personal files) using EaseUS Todo Backup Home (free trial)... 

Can I also find step-by-step instructions somewhere for recovering these files back onto the hard drive?

Thanks, and have a pleasant evening!  :)

Edited by sbutk1, 17 July 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

Install Easeus on the Windows 10 computer. Once installed you can mount the image as a virtual disk if it was a disk image and not a file backup. You can then copy files out of the virtual disk to your hard drive.

https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/mount/unmount.html

May I ask a question? when you did the install of Windows 10 did you clean install by using the diskpart commands in Brian's clean install guide or did you upgrade the OS from within the Media Creation Tool when it asks if you want to Upgrade this PC now. It's very interesting that Microsoft is still activating Windows 10 on a clean install if that is what you did.

#9 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Install Easeus on the Windows 10 computer. Once installed you can mount the image as a virtual disk if it was a disk image and not a file backup. You can then copy files out of the virtual disk to your hard drive.

https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/mount/unmount.html

Thanks; I'll have a go at that sometime tomorrow!

May I ask a question? when you did the install of Windows 10 did you clean install by using the diskpart commands in Brian's clean install guide or did you upgrade the OS from within the Media Creation Tool when it asks if you want to Upgrade this PC now. It's very interesting that Microsoft is still activating Windows 10 on a clean install if that is what you did.

Certainly... I did indeed go the "clean install" route, using those detailed commands to first wipe the drive of all its data.  Actually tried using the Media Creation Tool first, since I'd had earlier success with that method on my "Computer #1".  For reasons unbeknownst to me (an acknowledged neophyte), though, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the download would only go so far on Computer #2; or it'd appear finished, but then come back to me with an invalid Product Key error, or the like.  Those instructions for the "clean install", though I mentioned contained a few "gaps", in the end did work for me on the second computer.  ...I agree; it appears that some folks at Microsoft are "asleep at the wheel", and I'm happy to have saved myself a couple hundred $'s when next April comes around [when my previous helper informed me support for Windows 7 will go away].  :)

Thanks very much for your help as well; and have a most pleasant evening.

#10 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

THANK YOU AGAIN, EVERYONE!

As of tonight, it appears I've successfully restored Computer #2's hard drive to its earlier state before the Windows 10 upgrade.

I'd be happy to continue to answer any further questions about my experience, such as that from JohnC_21.

...Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with any moderator closing this thread, in case it might be in their (or the forum's) best interest.

Thanks once more, and goodnight!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users