Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer lab with networking 20 Windows Home pcs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Earthlark

Earthlark

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Looking for ideas:

Backround: I work for a non-profit with a tiny budget. We have 25 computers all running Windows 10 Home (5 teacher computers and 20 computers in a COW). Students use computers for English and digital literacy practice.

Problem to be solved: Looking for a way to push updates, settings, and programs to the computers. What is the best solution that would allow me to do this? First, is there any way to do this (for free or very inexpensively) without upgrading to Windows Pro. If the only/best solution is to upgrade to Windows Pro, I may be able to upgrade to windows pro (through Tech Soup for $8 per computer). In that case, can I set up group policy for the computers for free or do I also need to buy and install windows server?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

windows 10 home is very limited what you can do.  you could look into remotely logging in and starting updates. and if you have a shared folder between all computers you can put your install programs in there and launch them remotely.  but that requires the time to log into each machine and manually start the process on each computer.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

Hi,

For centrally administrate Group Policies you need a Windows server to create a Domain, Windows Home can't be a member of the Domain so you need Windows Pro on the machines to do that.

With the Domain you get more tools to do the administration job but in some situations it helps to have some tools to install software, etc. like:

- PDQ Deploy https://www.pdq.com/pdq-deploy/ - the free version have limited functions available but doesn't have a limit in terms of number of machines.

- ManageEngine Desktop Central https://www.manageengine.com/products/desktop-central/edition-comparison-matrix.html - the free version is limited to 25 machines and have some limitations

I found this two recently when looking for free solutions to deploy software...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

You can install gpedit.msc for windows home, see here!

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

You can install gpedit.msc for windows home, see here!

i couldn't get it to work correctly and didn't have access to a lot of things.

#6 sscoolyssh

sscoolyssh

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

k

#7 sscoolyssh

sscoolyssh

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:45 PM

I would offer you a bunch of options, but I'm afraid they've all already been described. so I propose to buy you a new router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users