Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I replaced my RAM and now the wireless does not work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nyako

Nyako

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

Yep , question is above, I put RAM into a Dell XPS 17 702X  and logged into Windows 7 and could not use the wireless: Only the Ethernet icon appeared looking for an Ethernet cable and it told me no Connections were available. When I ran the connection troubleshooting, it just told me I needed an ethernet cable plugged in. How can I get the wireless back? I've tried  taking a stick out, same problem, tried  putting the original RAM back in (4GB) . Did not help. The new RAM was 16GB and I bought the RAM after contacting DELL who knew the exact PC model when helping me. (Bought what they sold me over the phone. Currently the new RAM is in the PC.)

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

I doubt that your problem is the memory; if it were bad or wrong spec, your computer simply wouldn't boot, or it would crash on boot.

I suspect that while installing your memory sticks you "joggled" something and it isn't making connection. I assume that you  are using an internal NIC, so pop the side off the case, remove the card, gently wipe the contacts with a paper towel (or gently stroke them with a soft pencil eraser) and re-seat it. Then see if that helps.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

ranchhand, the computer is a laptop. Perhaps when replacing the RAM the Wifi card was disturbed but per the service manual the card is buried.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-l702x_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

I can't believe you need to do this just to get at the Wifi card.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-l702x_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf

Check pages 16 and 17 and make sure you didn't just disable the wireless. Press "FN" and "F2" to toggle wireless on and off.

EDIT dang double posted

Edited by QQQQ, 13 July 2018 - 08:41 AM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

Thanks John. I really got to slow down and check things out before I post. I automatically assumed he had a desktop, which is dumb because there are more laps and notebooks out there than desktops now. That will teach me to have my AM coffee before posting anything.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

@Nyako, is the Wifi card listed in Device Manager?

If the key combo QQQQ posted does not bring back wireless consider a USB dongle. They are cheap and you will not need to tear down the computer. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

Thanks John. I really got to slow down and check things out before I post. I automatically assumed he had a desktop, which is dumb because there are more laps and notebooks out there than desktops now. That will teach me to have my AM coffee before posting anything.

Sometimes I'm like that the whole day if I miss my morning coffee.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users