Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locks up for 5-10 seconds- Help Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluesquare7

bluesquare7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:59 AM

Hi All,

I bought a new computer 3 months ago that I use for work.  The computer should be complete overkill for what I use it for but that was intentional so that I don't have any issues.  When I get all of my programs up and running, the computer will lock up for 5-10 seconds and then unfreeze for a few seconds.  It will continue to do so until I force shut down some apps (usually shutting down chrome fixes it).  I use it for trading and have 8 monitors and 2 gpus.  Most of what I use is just Excel and A LOT of Chrome sessions (however I have reproduced the issue using only other browsers).  The issue will only happen whenever I get everything up and running that I need so it's definitely something that kicks in while the usage is higher (even though I'm only using up like 30% of memory or 15% of cpu on the performance monitor).  Some days it might take 5 hours for the problem to start and some days it's within the first 20 minutes but once it starts it typically persists.  

A few of the things we have tried to resolve it are - running a Memory test (came back perfect).  A clean install of windows 10. Plugged power cord directly in the wall bypassing backup batter incase there were power issues).  Unplugged 7 of the 8 monitors after the problem started and it kept happening until I shut down software.  

Anyone have any advice?  I'm going to apologize in advance that I'm pretty novice with this stuff so some of the questions you may have might be over my head.  In general, the computer I should handle the tasks I'm running with flying colors (as did computers I had in the past).  I will copy the specs below

Case Fans:  PC High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans    

Power Supply: 1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3    

Power Supply Sleeved Cable Color: Black Individually Sleeved Cables    

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming    

System Cooling:  FROSTBYTE 240 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 2011/2066 Socket    

Processors: Intel Core i9 7900X 10-Core 3.3GHz (4.3GHz TurboBoost)    

Graphic Cards: Dual 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti    

Memory: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz (2 X 16GB)    

Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home    

Intel Optane Memory Drive (Operating System Drive): None    

Operating System Drive #1 (Primary): 240GB ORIGIN PC Approved Solid State Drive    

Hard Drive #2: 1TB  PC Approved Hard Drive    

Optical Drive One: None    

Hard Drive Cage: 5 Bay Hard-Drive Cage    

Audio: On Board High Definition 8-Channel Audio    

Networking: Onboard Network Port

Edited by bluesquare7, 13 July 2018 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

Boot into Safe Mode and see if this problem persists.

To set up Safe Mode press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in msconfig to open the System Configuration.

Click on the Boot tab, then under Boot options click on Safe boot.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Attention:  Windows will continue to boot into Safe Mode until you go back and remove the check in Safe boot.

If the problem does not persist in Safe Mode this is most likely related to your graphics card driver.

This could also be caused by a third party application that isn't compatible.  You can determine this by doing a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bluesquare7

bluesquare7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

Thanks, DC3!  I will try this as soon as the work day is over.  I appreciate your comprehensive response!

#4 bluesquare7

bluesquare7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

Just to update-  I had to try your 2nd option first because in safe-mode I just couldn't get all of the apps up and running to replicate normal conditions.  Using your 2nd step, I'm pretty sure I found the issue!  I will wait until the end of the week to make sure it doesn't freeze but it's extremely rare that it's been 2-3 full work days without a lock-up.  It seems the issue was "LightingService" by ASUSTek.  I've always noticed that was often using up the most cpu usage (around 7%).  If I don't get any issues by Friday, I will post it in my topic.

Thanks for all of the help!  That was 3 months of pain.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bluesquare7

bluesquare7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

"LightingServce" by Asustek was definitely the issue.  Computer runs amazing ever since I disabled it.  thanks for all of the help!

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

Hi, lots of high end users complaining about this, it's under review by the developer, they may have a fix soon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users