Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc randomly shuts down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hodin

Hodin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

Hello there, 

My pc randomly shuts down then proceeds to restart after a few seconds. NO BSOD, NO HANG. just a random shut down then restart. NOT a reset because all of the lights on the mobo and gpus shut down as well as all the fans etc. Think of it as if i yanked the power cord from the plug then booted it back up. 

-history-

The pc is rather old at this point, i got it on the summer of 2015. I had a random hang on installing windows 10 then my problems started. Since then the problem is not the same but *something* still persists to this day. Back then the problem would be a random hang then after a reset everything was smooth until a manual willing shut down. After a lot of complaining to the shop i got both GPUs changed for new ones. Problem persisted so i bought new and expensive corsair RAM. Problem persisted so i switched my x99 msi mobo for an ASUS rampage V. Problem CHANGED to current issue. I bought a new cooling kit for CPU for random reason, Problem SUBSIDED for a few weeks then started again. Then i bought a newer, bigger and better rated PSU, Problem SUBSIDED for a couple of months, new cooling kit got fried then replaced with a better one, and now Problem is WORSE than EVER.

-SPECS-

ASUS Rampage V x99 mobo

Intel i7 5820k six core CPU

2x MSI gtx 970s

Corsair DDR4 4stick configuration 16gb -dont remember the part name

Corsair H110 cpu cooling

Corsair 1000w platinum rated psu -dont remember part name

-SPECCY-

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/n0wO478qEodmgVy56wBgEAQ

What do you recommend doing? I have lost all patience with this pc.

Thanks for the help in advance

:EDIT: added SPECCY info, uploaded event viewer report.

Edited by Hodin, 13 July 2018 - 06:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pdb62788

pdb62788

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Do you run any hardware monitoring applications? I can not be certain, but it sounds like a heat issue, and your computer shutting off power to protect your hardware from damage. I have seen similar things happen to customers that build their own machine, and either did not have a good seat on their heatsink, or did not use adequate amounts of thermal paste. You might also want to check temps on your north/south bridge, and your memory. Those components typically do not have active cooling, and will also cause the abrupt power loss if/when they get too hot. 

#3 Hodin

Hodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

Do you run any hardware monitoring applications? I can not be certain, but it sounds like a heat issue, and your computer shutting off power to protect your hardware from damage. I have seen similar things happen to customers that build their own machine, and either did not have a good seat on their heatsink, or did not use adequate amounts of thermal paste. You might also want to check temps on your north/south bridge, and your memory. Those components typically do not have active cooling, and will also cause the abrupt power loss if/when they get too hot. 

Thanks for the input there mate, much appreciated.

Although if you view the Speccy link i provided you will see that the RAM are operating on default settings, they are of good quality and have heatsinks on them.

Also worth noting that most, if not all RAM related issues typically have some sort of loss of performance or provide BSODs. I have none of those symptoms.

All other temps are good and there is no temperature spike before rebooting as this would suggest.

Plus if this were an overheating issue, it would be quite easy to replicate and therefore diagnose. 

CPU heatsink is the newest piece of hardware -corsair h110i- which comes with a default layer of thermal paste on it. CPU temps are well within normal range according to CPU-Z.

#4 pdb62788

pdb62788

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

RAM overheating does not typically produce BSOD, nor is one able to noticeably tell when they are having performance issues with ram outside of running benchmarks. Also, RAM does not need to be overclocked to have heat issues. Having said that, It is not hard for me to accept that your RAM is not the issue, as overheating RAM is very very uncommon from my experience.

I would never recommend using the default layer of thermal paste on any heat dissipation product, it is completely inadequate, especially closed loop liquid cooling systems as i have never seen one that was less than 1.5 liters that could even provide equal cooling to a high quality air cooler, especially once the liquid gets up to running temp. Again though, having said that, i trust in your ability to judge your temps, and if you say they are not the cause, then i accept that.

I also agree that most overheating issues are fairly easy to replicate with a simple run of an application such as OCCT. I can not currently think of any other possibilities, but i will continue to think about it, and i will report back if i come up with any other ideas. 

Edited by pdb62788, 13 July 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#5 pdb62788

pdb62788

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

I just had a few more ideas. First, have you attempted breadboard test by removing the hardware from the case to eliminate the possibility of contact between the motherboard and the case resulting in a short circuit and immediate power off from protection circuit? This can result from worn standoffs or slight warps in the case, and can appear to be intermittent and random. I have also heard people suggest testing this by loosening screws that secure the mobo to the standoffs, but from my experience this method is not completely reliable. This is not a likely cause of your problems, but it is possible. 

Edited by pdb62788, 13 July 2018 - 06:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users