Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 1703 Occasional System Locks

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Judman13

Judman13

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hello,

I am experiencing occasional lock ups on a relatively new Windows 10 Home system only used to run BlueIris, a network video surveillance software.

The PC is running "headless" and is accessed via VNC for management because it is store in a conditioned attic network closet. A monitor is attached, but physical access is less than ideal.

Background on the PC is that Windows was installed and updated, BlueIris was installed and configured then the PC was put into service. The PC ran for almost two weeks before freezing the first time. Freezing was discovered because the BlueIris web page became inaccessible. The connected monitor is usually powered off since it isn't in use, but was powered on to diagnose the PC. However the monitor would never find an input. The PC was hard reset and ran several day before the same issued presented. Event viewer was checked but nothing seems to indicate a reason for locking up. The PC then went on a 3 day locking stent resulting in a hard reset each time. The PC then ran for another few days before locking again this morning.

Unsure if BSOD are present because the monitor will not produce a screen once the PC is locked up.

Here are the requested troubleshooting steps.

1. Done.
  2. Done.
  3. Done & attached.
  4. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jxxPLrqTjSZtcRJcf5LkeoI
  5. Very difficult to perform this step, but can be arranged if needed.

Edited by Judman13, 12 July 2018 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

Just realised the Sysnative app wasn't actually attached =(

Attached Files

#3 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

I am not seeing any issues from your reports other then it looks like you are having issues updating Windows and are a little behind on the updates.

Why is this so difficult to test your hard drive and memory? It would be a good idea to run these tests to rule them out.

Then follow the steps below:

Step 1:
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop
Upload sfcdetails.txt file

Step 2:
Run Windows Disk Cleanup - From elevated command prompt copy and paste the following command:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Make sure you check Windows Update cleanup option and any other items that you want to cleanup.

Step 3:
1. Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter and save to your desktop
2. Double-click the wu.diagcab file to run the troubleshooter
3. Follow the steps in the wizard to find and fix problems with Windows Update
4. Provide a Screenshot or Picture of the report.

Edited by dmccoyks, 19 July 2018 - 03:09 PM.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#4 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

I am not seeing any issues from your reports other then it looks like you are having issues updating Windows and are a little behind on the updates.

Why is this so difficult to test your hard drive and memory? It would be a good idea to run these tests to rule them out.

Because I don't have physical access to the machine to run boot level test like the ones mentioned in step 5. This is a surveillance machine for my parents that is located in their conditioned attic and getting them to run a bootable test isn't the easiest.

I will go ahead and do it plus the additional steps mentioned.

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Judman13, 19 July 2018 - 03:28 PM.

#5 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Okay I understand now. Then you could run the Windows Memory test and also use chkdsk command below for the hard drive. These are not as good as the standalone but if any issues they should tell us.

Run Chkdsk

• Click on Start menu
  • Type in command
  • Right click on Command Prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
  • Copy and Paste the command into the command window
    chkdsk c:/r

/f option will attempt to fix any found errors
/r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information
/x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan

If the following message is displayed: Choose Y

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

ListChkDskResult Program
Please download ListChkDskResult by SleepyDude and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on ListChkdskResult.png icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • A message about checking Windows Event Log will pop-up. Click OK.
  • Wait patiently until a notepad window will open. This won't take long.
  • The displayed logfile will be also saved to your desktop as ListChkDskResult.txt.
  • Please include the content of this file in your next reply.

Test memory as shown in link below.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-7

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#6 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Here is the ListChkDskResult file.

The memory diagnostic is running. I am not sure how to check the results. That wasn't covered in the article.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#7 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:53 PM

I think these might be the results of the Memory Diagnostic Test.

Attached Files

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Yes that is the correct location of the memory results. It looks like both the hard drive and memory tests passed. Have you monitored the temperatures while running to make sure it is not getting to hot?

It also looks like you have a lot of backgroud tasks running.

Press the win + x keys together in the run dialogue box type: ms-settings:privacy-backgroundapps and press enter key. Then Turn off "let apps run in the background"

I recommend next to perform a clean boot and see if the lockups continue. If it is only used for video surveillance then you can also stop a lot of unneeded services that may be causing issues. I would also remove any unneeded programs and app to make as clean of install as possible. Let me know if any changes or not.

#9 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

Well @dmccoyks, I did my best to remove background tasks, I turned off "background apps" and did a clean boot and the PC work well until this afternoon when it locked up again.

Do I need to go ahead and run those boot memory and HDD tests?

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

Thats too bad. Did you monitor the temperature before it locked up? Go ahead and run the Sysnative app again and will see if anything stands out. Was the BluIris the only software that was running? Are you running the latest version?

Edited by dmccoyks, 26 July 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#11 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

I did not have temps monitored before the freeze. I didn't set the logging on speedfan up correctly, but it is now.

Blue Iris is the only thing actively used on the PC. No one gets on it for any reason other than me remotely for troubleshooting. I think BI was up to date, but I will double check.

Attached is the Sysnative zip.

Attached Files

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

Several Windows and app update errors in the log. I recommend disabling Windows updates for now while troubleshooting. To easily do this set it as a Metered connection. I would also recommend that you remove any programs that you are not using using free RevoUninstaller and all or any Windows apps not being used. These can be removed using System Ninja which I prefer and is similar to CCleaner as an alternative. Keep me updated after the following.

System Ninja

https://singularlabs.com/software/system-ninja/

CCleaner - Very Important! Do Not Run the Register Cleaner Options

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

https://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-to-use-ccleaner-like-a-pro-9-tips-tricks/

To Remove All Windows Apps quickly and easily:

1. Right-click on Start icon
2. Select Windows Powershell (Admin) from the menu
3. Copy and Paste the following command into Powershell and hit Enter

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

Edited by dmccoyks, 26 July 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#13 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Alright. Metered connection is set.

I downloaded RevoUninstaller and system ninja. I attached the program list from both. Don't really know what to uninstall.

Also ran the Powershell command. It took a lot of crap out.

Attached Files

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

That looks pretty clean unless you want to remove Firefox if not needed. Keep me updated.

#15 Judman13

Judman13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

Alright...locked up again last night  :(

I have attached the SysNative zip.

I had the temps logging and the CPU was at 40C, System was at 31C, HD1 and HD2 were 37 and 34 respectively, and all the fans were working.

So 4 days from the last crash. I am starting to think this is a hardware issue, but the lock ups are so inconsistent I don't even know where to start.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users