Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Versions of Chrome - Download

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 null__

null__

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

What is a safe, reputable location to download an older version of Chrome? I have a customer that is having issues with an application that is having issues with the latest release (67.0.3396.99). Would Chromium do the trick? I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

I don't know of a way to download verified Chrome installs. but Chromium build packages are here.

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html

They are cataloged in build number, not by date. But it's all there.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Here you go. But, I believe Chrome will update to the latest version once online unless you go through some hacks. Older versions have security vulnerabilities fixed in the later versions.

https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

Like JohnC_21 shows, the link to SlimJet makes available some older versions of SlimJet browser which is very much like Google Chrome.  I still have version 11 on my Windows Vista machine.  Note, that that version, although it does work, does not do so perfectly.

Consider a different kind of alternative  (for Vista and later), such as  Pale Moon browser which is like some older versions of Firefox.  

#5 bles16

bles16

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:46 AM

both sites that have provided have correct previous versions.
Once you get the version that starts on the computer, it disables Chrome updates.

first option

• msconfig
  • services
  • hide all Microsoft services
  • uncheck google services apply and restart.

second option

• services.msc
  • google update services
  • properties / disable
  • to accept

three option:
1. Disable Chrome automatic updates using the local group policy editor
With this method you will have to download the Google Update template from this link ; specifically, the ADM version. You can also download it directly from here . Easy, it's safe. We will use it to deactivate Chrome's auto-update process . It is important to note that some versions of Windows do not incorporate the local group policy editor, so if it is not present in your system, you should try another method of this article. We go there with the steps.

Open the Run option by pressing the "Windows key + R" on your keyboard. Type "gpedit.msc" , without quotes, and press Enter

• We are already in the local group policy editor. On the left, select "Administrative Templates" and then "Add / Remove Templates (Add / Remove Templates)" .
  • A window will open. Here, you must click on "Add (Add)" .
  • You will see a list with all the templates. Select the Google Update template that you have previously downloaded. Add it and click on "Close" .
  • In the panel on the left of the local policy editor, you should go to the path:  Computer Configuration => Administrative Templates => Classic Administrative Templates (ADM) => Google => Google Update => Applications => Google Chrome . Here, double-click on "Updated Policy Override . "
  • This will take you to the configuration page. Activate the service by clicking "Enabled" . Now, in the "Policy" menu , select the option you prefer. If you want to deactivate all the automatic updates but activate the manuals, select "Manual updates only" , but, to deactivate them all, select "Updates disabled" .
  • The next time you restart your PC, the Google update service will be disabled. If you want to undo the changes, select the option to allow all updates.

2. Disable Chrome updates through system settings
With this method, we will disable the service that Google uses to find Chrome updates . Once the service is disabled, Chrome should not automatically update unless you re-enable the service. These are the steps to follow.

Press the "Windows key + R" to open the window to run applications. Type "msconfig" and press Enter. The system configuration window will open.

Go to "Services" and look for the following services:

• Google Update service
  • Google Update service (gupdate)
  • Google Update service (gupdatem)
  • You may not find all the services, so disable the previous Google services that appear in the list. To find them easily, you can order them pro manufacturer. Deselect them and click on "OK" to save the configuration.

A confirmation window may appear telling you to reboot the computer to apply the changes. Click on accept or restart it later; as you prefer. Changes will be applied when you reboot the system.

Edited by bles16, 14 July 2018 - 02:46 AM.

#6 deanna0

deanna0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

Was just searching around and found this, thanks so much for the info.  Can you do this with Firefox as well? I have both on my PC, ever since Firefox updated to a newer version, I hate it, and it kept updating it automatically.  

Edited by deanna0, 15 July 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

I would not recommend it as you would lose security updates. There is the ESR version 52 that is supported with security updates but that will be entering end of life very soon.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 July 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#8 null__

null__
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for all of the info! I'll have some things to mull over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users