Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon MG6350 issues?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

Hi

Over the last week or so when trying to print it comes out really faded and cut off and today when I tried to print nothing is printing.

I have taken ink cartridges out and put it back in. Done the maintenance steps yet still same issue.

Could the printer and more specifically the print head be destroyed?

How would I know what the actual issue is?

Not sure if worth paying alot for a new print head or taking it to a repair shop. Can't really afford to nor can I afford to get a new printer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:25 PM

When did you last replace the ink tanks?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

From the horrible Canon Manual.

• Check 3: Are the print head nozzles clogged?

Print the Nozzle Check Pattern to determine whether the ink ejects properly from the print head nozzles.

Refer to When Printing Becomes Faint or Colors Are Incorrect for the Nozzle Check Pattern printing, Print Head Cleaning, and Print Head Deep Cleaning.

• If the Nozzle Check Pattern is not printed correctly:

Check to see if a particular color's ink tank is not empty.

If the Nozzle Check Pattern is not printed correctly though ink is sufficient, perform the Print Head Cleaning and try printing the Nozzle Check Pattern again.

• If the problem is not resolved after performing the Print Head Cleaning twice:

Perform the Print Head Deep Cleaning.

If the problem is not resolved after performing the Print Head Deep Cleaning, turn off the machine and perform another Print Head Deep Cleaning after 24 hours.

• If the problem is not resolved after performing the Print Head Deep Cleaning twice:

If Print Head Deep Cleaning does not resolve the problem, the print head may be damaged. Contact the service center.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg6350.aspx?type=manuals&language=

If that don't work there are print head cleaners you can buy but I don't know if that will work on your printer.  Brian may no more about that than I.  Try the Cleanings first.

Edited by pcpunk, 13 July 2018 - 05:19 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

When did you last replace the ink tanks?

In February.

But I have had no warning the ink levels are running low.

#5 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have tried all the cleaning steps on the printer but to no avail. Still does not print at all now.

Checked the ink cartridges and they are not run out nor have I received any warning.

Any idea if print head or anything else is damaged?

Do I need a new printer?

Dont want to spend money repairing it or getting new parts if better off getting a new printer. Nearly had this printer 5 years now.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

Certainly don't sound good.  Are you buying those cheap knockoff ink cartridges?  No, it's hardly worth repairing IMO.  The cheapos work, but sometimes introduce problems.  I always use the official cartridges and keep my settings to use as little ink as possible.  I seen one recently that would not even push out ink lol.  The little slit where the Ink comes out was not even a Slit.  One of those square ones, with the little Slit on the bottom.  I could not even get ink to come out of it at all, and it was new.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

I can't afford to buy OEM ink cartridges anymore. Its insane how expensive the originals are.

Obvious manufacturers are happy to rip people off with the extortionate prices.

Using compatible ones but meant to be good ones as company gave warranty with them. Read a while ago compatible and remanufactured ink cartridges as good alternatives to OEMs ones hence why I am using them.

Will cost £10-£20 to check current printer and another £30-40 to repair. Dont think its worth it tbh. What is odd can't seem to find prices of my printer online to work out value of it. But im sure around £40-50 now.

What I don't want to do is throw the printer away and waste on a new one if indeed current one isnt damaged. No way could know myself if print head is damaged or anything else? If ink ran out wouldnt it tell me as again not sure if just the fact ink has ran out but I have had not warnings?

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

Take the cartridge out and rub it on a tissue if it is one of those square ones.  Or some have little windows in them to see ink levels.  May be as simple as there is no ink in the cartridge.  Since you are on a budget check all the obvious first. 

Here is a little tutorial on how to diagnose and clean the print heads manually.  I've never done it this way but it looks affective.  I don't think this is the issue though.  You are saying it is not printing at all now, this would make me think it is just out of ink.  The printer nozzles are more likely to go out one at a time and not all the colors at once.  Is it not printing colors either?

Checked the ink cartridges and they are not run out

Whoops, just saw this.  So you physically checked the ink in the cartridge somehow?

Edited by pcpunk, 16 July 2018 - 09:29 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

I am on my third Canon Pixma printer; a couple of times I had the same problem with the print head, dried ink clogged the heads and the cartridge ink would not flow through. I just removed the print head, and gave it a strong cleaning. I held it under a flow of very warm water (not too hot to the touch) and gently pressed a paper towel on the screens. I then lightly dried with a paper towel and let it sit for several hours to thoroughly dry, and then reinstalled. If the problem is a clogged print head, this will fix it. Just make sure it is thoroughly dry, especially the electrical contact circuit board, before reinstalling.

In addition, if you take each print cart out and gently wipe the nozzle with alcohol on a paper towel, that should free up the nozzle again. But if the ink is just too heavily caked on the nozzle that may not work. It would be very unusual for all your carts to stop working at the same time.

If the above does not work, probably the print head has failed. It would probably cost you almost as much to replace it as to buying a new printer, and that is only if it is even available. If the printer is older most likely not.

I have used LD Ink for years, and only had one bad cart from them, which they replaced immediately on one phone call. Their ink and carts are every bit as good as OEM equipment, and I have never had a problem with them. And....I do a ton of color printing.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

Are the nozzles and head different and if nozzles are blocked then wont print? Dont understand how they could be blocked as I print every day.

TBH I havent got it in me to completely open the printer up and possibly make things worse. Not a DIY guy unfortunately like you guys.

Did take each cartridge out and seems there is ink in every single one still as usually get low warning message. Not printing black or colours. 

So its likely nozzles blocked then rather than print head damaged? If I cant fix it myself is it worth paying £30-£50 for this old printer? Dont want to throw it away if it can be fixed.

Some say non OEM cartridges wreck the printer others say they dont. Not sure what to believe and if the case here. They will never be as good as OEMs anyway.

Edited by needhelpasusual, 30 July 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

Did you look at the video I posted?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

Yes I did hence why I asked the questions in my last post.

Honestly can't do what that guy has done in the video. Don't feel comfortable. Know will break something. Not DIY in any way.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

This printer was introduced around 2013.  Five years, particularly for a printer with a built-in print head, is about the maximum length of service life in most cases, particularly if you do a significant amount of printing or, conversely, do almost no printing, which is hard on the print head as ink will dry in it and require cleaning cycles.

I use Canon inkjet printers exclusively, and love them.  At this point it would be much cheaper to buy one of the new models with similar features to what you have.  Any service beyond DIY (or even a DIY print head replacement - due to the cost of the part itself) will cost you far more than a new printer costs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

Using compatible ones but meant to be good ones as company gave warranty with them. Read a while ago compatible and remanufactured ink cartridges as good alternatives to OEMs ones hence why I am using them.

Send them back in hopes that it is just a cartridge problem.  OEM's will seldom have issues, but once and a while I'll see the knockoffs with issues.  Quality control with the OEM is a little better.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 needhelpasusual

needhelpasusual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

This printer was introduced around 2013.  Five years, particularly for a printer with a built-in print head, is about the maximum length of service life in most cases, particularly if you do a significant amount of printing or, conversely, do almost no printing, which is hard on the print head as ink will dry in it and require cleaning cycles.

I use Canon inkjet printers exclusively, and love them.  At this point it would be much cheaper to buy one of the new models with similar features to what you have.  Any service beyond DIY (or even a DIY print head replacement - due to the cost of the part itself) will cost you far more than a new printer costs.

Don't all printers have a print head built in as always thought this was the case?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users