Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound "This device cannot start. (code 10)"

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 crapsou

crapsou

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

Dear all,

It is my first post because usually I find the solution of my computer issues on forums, but this time I tried everything. :)

I have a desk computer on which i did a fresh windows 7 pro install.
At first the sound was working perfectly.
After different windows updates and drivers updates, the sound is not working, and is showing a "This device cannot start. (code 10)" in the device manager.
See screenshot attached : https://ibb.co/kRTPe8

I tried everything:
- Seek into the BIOS to find the settings of the sound card (I see Azalia options, that I put to enable)
- Update the drivers after installation from manufacturer website. I am now pretty sure the drivers are up to date.
- Going into the registry to find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\

CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" with LowerFilters or UpperFilters (can't find them).

My config:
- MB Advantech with BIOS American Megatrends Inc. Version 4.6.4
- Intel Core i7-2655LE CPU @ 2.20GHz
- 16Go DDR3
- Intel HD Graphics 3000

One thing though is that I use a TV as a computer screen with HDMI, this is how I got the sound at first, but not anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

I would uninstallt the current audio/sound drivers, using Device Manager...reboot and see if the sound returns.

FWIW:  A working driver is a good driver and drivers do not need/require constant updating, as some believe.

Louis

#3 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

Hi Louis.

thanks for your reply. I agree with your comment. But unfortunatly Windows changed something during the auto updates...

So I indeed did that, a few times actually, trying different drivers sources:

- I reinstalled the drivers using Windows Update

- I reinstalled the drivers using Realtek website

- I reinstalled the drivers using PC manufacturer website

no success

For more information, I booted my computer using an Ubuntu USB stick and the sound works just fine on HDMI and audio ports.

So, using a Linux command, I got the name of hardware "6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller".

thanks for your help

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

The yellow triangle with the black exclamation under the High Definition Audio Controller needs to be addressed.  Double click on the high definition audio controller, then click on the driver tab, then uninstall the driver.

When you restart the computer a new driver be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Hi Bleeping Treehugger!

I tried it as well. This way it would let windows update find the best driver, right ?
I am trying to find an older driver version because I know for sure that windows auto update messed it up ...

Thanks for your message!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

C200 series is an Intel HD audio controller. Do you have a model number of that motherboard? 

Edit: I believe your audio is part of the chipset driver.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#7 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:56 AM

C200 series is an Intel HD audio controller. Do you have a model number of that motherboard? 

Edit: I believe your audio is part of the chipset driver.

hey

thanks for your suggestion.

My computer is a Advantech UNO 3083G (sorta refurbished computer). You have the info here:

http://www.advantech.com/products/1-2mljdc/uno-3083g/mod_bf715ae5-bdb9-439a-a3b0-99c2f43b65b2

On manufacturer site for the drivers:

http://support.advantech.com/Support/DownloadSRDetail_New.aspx?SR_ID=1-1C566CR&Doc_Source=Download

I find under Audio that they give me Realtek drivers. I tried those, they don't work. (at the same time, their drivers for the graphic don't work neither).

Furthermore, I tried the drivers for Intel Chipset C200 series (from Intel download website), and they don't work.

Each time I try something different, I go into the Device Manager, and click on the faulty High Definiton Audio Controller with the yellow triangle, uninstall the driver, and reboot the computer. After that, the High Definition Audio Controller comes back in the list (with the yellow triangle again). Then, I install the drivers using Run As Admin. Reboot again. I still no success.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Right click the Sound Device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line.

#9 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Right click the Sound Device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line.

Here we go:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_1C208086&REV_05

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

That's definitely an intel chipset, not Realtek, because of the 8086 vendor ID. I will need a bit of time to find a driver that you can install using Device Manager and not by using an exe file. That may have a better chance of working.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 July 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#11 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

thank you so much JohnC_21!

As I have some free time, I am re-installing windows 7 at the moment. I will allow a first set of updates, and then switch off the auto updates. Last time the recent updates messed up those drivers...

I will let you know how it goes.

cheers

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

I downloaded the audio driver from your support site but it is Realtek and none of the inf files that I could tell had your Vendor and Device ID. 

Download the intel driver detection utility. Let it scan your system and only check any audio or chipset drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

#13 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

I downloaded the audio driver from your support site but it is Realtek and none of the inf files that I could tell had your Vendor and Device ID. 

Download the intel driver detection utility. Let it scan your system and only check any audio or chipset drivers.

Thanks!

I run the utility from Intel,

this is what I get: (no mention of audio chipset...).

https://s33.postimg.cc/8f4xgpzdb/intel.png

and still, as I have a fresh windows install, I have more yellow exclamations in my device manager:

https://s33.postimg.cc/xl5vniqcv/device_manager.png

#14 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

dont you think there would be any chances that the card/chipset is disabled from the bios?

#15 crapsou

crapsou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

here we go with the whole report:

https://ufile.io/s9546

in addition, most of the yellow triangle are going away after windows updates... but not the one from the Audio Controller :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users