Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Connecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justkal23

justkal23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:44 AM

i am on a cable modem as well as a cable router. on the dell i am able to connect to internet no problems.. the problem is when i go to connect to an online game or soemthignelse tha uses internet connect liek AIM, or yahoo or msn messenger. it says unable to connect.. i did the littel trouble shooting thing with msn messenger and it says this..
"failed to connect to the service. this cud be due 2 improper porxy or firewall settings. pls review your proxy and firewall settings. proxy settings can be accessed through the msn messenger options. for firewall settings please see the retailers instruction."

i totally turned off firewall and still same thing. i checked for proxys through the itnernet options/connections/LAN settings. and proxy server - use a proxy server for your LAN is not checked and auto detect settings is.. so i dotn even have firewall on and no proxy on either yet its saying some kinda problem.. i even called my internet company at 2 am.. and all they cud do was confirm that i had a strong connection and that it was a computer problem and not ISP specific.

basically ig uess when a 3rd party programe attempts to connect to internet it will nto allow me.. cant sign into AIM or yahoo or msn, an di cant connect to anygames that require online connection.. all gives botut he same error..bsacially cant connect to internet check connection. i wud jsut do a destructive recovery but its a dell made before 2004 so i ahve to have a OS boot disk which i do not have.. the models newer than 2004 have built in destructive recovery( i had to call dell at 2:30 am for that info)its not a modem or router issue either.. becasue my other cpu connects toeverythign and i even tried the dell in the same port as the hp was connected and still same thing. also i have made sure tha IE is my default browser. and as stated no firewall on so i dont know whats blocking.. and no antivirus on either.

can some one pls help. ty

comp is a dell diminsion dim2350
iintel pentium 4 cpu 2.00ghz
1.99 ghz, 256 mb ram
XP home edition w/ SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:28 AM

Uninstall Aim and any other AOL software you have, reboot and reinstall it.

The same for any other games you have.

That will reset them to work with your cable (lan)

Then uninstall your firewall (Zonealarm, etc) , reboot and reinstall it. That will allow a prompt to allow your games, Aol aps, etc.

#3 justkal23

justkal23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

i have already tried the uninstall reinstall with the programs and the games.. still same thing. the onyl firewall i have is windows firewall that comes with SP2. i manually turn that off and same thing. i manually set to make exceptions for the specific programs/applications i want to use. same thing. i was unable to find out how to uninstall jsut the windows firewall specifically sinc eits not a standalone programe, its integreated into sp2.. so i uninstalled sp2. thus removing the firewall lol. umm but then page unable to be displayed.. cudnt even log to internet. so i did system restore so i cud have my sp2 back and atleast get back on the internet.. so right now im back in the same place i was when i originally posted. also i jsut noticed this.. not sure if it has anythgin to do with anything but i dotn see why it shudnt because nothign has changed as far as hardware and software being installe dor uninstalled sinc ethe last tiem i was able to use them programs and play the games. one day i cud one day i cudnt. and no not virus or trojen i had done massive searches with alot of programs and AV's. but anywhays here is what i saw why is this different?

under control panel.. network connections .. LAN or high-speed internet...

the DELL has 1 it is

local area connection
connected, firewalled
boradcom 440X 10/100 integrated controller

HOWEVER on the HP its has 2 they are
1394 connection
connected, firewalled
1394 net adapter

and the other is

local area connection
connected, firewalled
VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter

i dont see why that wud make a difference or not becasue thats how it was when they wud connect. its not the router becase i can hook hp up to port 1 and connect to everything.. and theni can hook dell up to port 1 and can get on internet but not IM's or games

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

The 1394 connection is firewire, which I doubt you are using.

You need to use the fast ethernet connection.

The Windows Firewall is part of XP - SP2 only turned it on by default. It was part of XP since the beginning.

By uninstalling SP2 you have exposed your computer to exploits too numerous to mention. Your inability to use IMs and games had nothing to do with SP2 but rather with your security settings, antivirus and/or anti-malware settings, etc.

Have you checked for malware - and what did you use to check for it?

The first thing you need to do is to try to run the following. I don't know if it will run without SP2 though, and you can't reinstall SP2 until you know your computer is free of malware. Try it.

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

If it finds any malware other than cookies you should post a HJT log but lets see what the scan finds.

Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users