Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some questions I have about buying a new or refurbished laptop PC with Win 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

Hi,

If I were to go to a Best Buy store within the next several days and buy a new or refurbished laptop PC pre-installed with Windows 7,

1) Will it also be pre-installed with advertisements, trialware, bloatware and other unwanted garbage lurking about or will it have a clean, fresh and pure installation of Windows 7 only?

2) When buying a laptop with an optical drive built in, (which I probably will look to buy), will I also receive a physical disc with Windows 7 on it inside the laptop box or a recovery disc of any kind?

3) How will I know if I have "extended support" on the Windows 7 install or not?

4) What exactly will happen to the Windows 7 install when the "extended support" life ends on January 14, 2020? Will I still be able to continue to use the laptop, even on the internet?

Thank you for any help!

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2018 - 04:48 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

1. probably full of bloatware....not a big deal to get rid of it...a nuisance but manageable

2.probably not. I think you gte just the installeed cop on the pc....thats it. A 'recovery disc' is not hard to make.......the best ones are based on Linux.

3.no idea...cant help you there. Ask the people at best buy.

4. when the 'extended life' runs out....you are on your own, and win 7 will end up like XP in that it will not have any support to keep it safe from  malware etc etc etc....

What pc/laptop do you have at present ?

What do you use your pc for..?.....you are quite specific about having win 7....why ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:01 AM

I was thinking along the same lines:

1.  Probably, but if it is no big deal it would be nice to have some ideas about how to get rid of the bloatware.  That will depend on what the bloatware is.

2.  Probably not.  It would be wise and a simple matter to create yourself a genuine Windows 7 SP1 installation CD/DVD and/or USB that matches the Edition (Home, pro, etc.) and Architecture (32 or 64-bit) that comes with the unit.

3.  Ask the people at BB about support and get their plan in writing.

4.  MS is only obligated to supply Windows 7 security updates, non security hotfixes (unlikely) and Self Service Support during this life cycle phase.

If/when you get the new unit consider getting a second drive/external drive for backups and using something like the free version of Macrium Reflect make yourself a system image of the system so you can always get it back to the original condition in case any later adjustments go haywire.

Edited by joseibarra, 12 July 2018 - 02:08 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users