Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Is A Piece Of Maggot-infested bleep; I Want To Find Its Creators And Beat Them With A Baseball Bat, Then Find Everybody Who's Ever Made A Dollar

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cvgurau

cvgurau

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:06 AM

McAfee Security Center came with my new computer, which I got a couple of months ago. For a while, it worked fine. Or didn't. My computer was still kinda slow, but whatever.

Now, (and for some time now, actually), it's asking for a subscription verification. But no one subscribed to it, it came with the computer. Pre-installed, ...

So we can't verify our subscription. And we can't uninstall it. The McAfee folder in Start>All Programs doesn't have an uninstall option, and when I go to Add/Remove Programs, the only thing with McAfee in the name is, funnily enough, McAfee Uninstaller. I love the irony. It just tickles.

I can't reinstall it, because when I try, it says "Newer version present; uninstall to proceed, then restart computer" or something. In any case, it leads to squat, and the McAfee website offers bleep for help.

I can't install something else, because you can't have two anti-virus programs working at the same time, so my computer is open to who knows what kinds of crap.

So, yeah. I'm gonna go buy some beef. Lots of beef. bleeploads of beef, and everytime I slap a motherbleeper, a dead cow gets its wings.

Edited by KoanYorel, 11 October 2006 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:52 AM

Sorry for sticking my canned, install unlocker, use it and do everything from safemode, I sometime wonder which is more difficult to get ride of malware or the unwanted protection as in this case.

it seems that the problem is that you can't get into your processes, or some of the processes are in use, here are two tools, both are free, one to see your processes and stop them if needed, the other to override their being used by something else, so that you can then delete them from appwiz.cpl(add/remove programs) , hope this helps

Process explorer is stand alone
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
Unlocker one must install
http://www.scanwith.com/Unlocker_download.htm

Edited by fleamailman, 11 October 2006 - 04:54 AM.

everyday is a gift

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:22 AM

Uninstall McAffee using the add/remove programs in the control panel.

Then download and install AVG Free which is a far better av ap and uses far fewer system resources;

Antivirus programs - freeware
(you can only use one resident anti-virus program on your computer. More than one will conflict)

AVG:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
Set it to update automatically and protect incoming email and attachments.

Avast Anti-virus freeware
http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp

Then get the following:
Anti-malware freeware
The following freeware aps will detect and remove spyware/malware from your computer and in addition to your resident anti-virus program you should have several (if not all) of these installed (and used frequently - each may detect things that the others may not -always update them before you run them)
Set them to update automatically if applicable.
Run them from safe mode when applicable

(You can run as many of these as you wish. Generally there is no conflict between these and you should always run several since each may find malware that the others may not find)

Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adawa...nal/965718306/1
or
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

Spybot S&D:
Update – Aug 2006 - Spybot by default now ignores certain products such as New.Net and Sidestep for no good reason. New.Net compromises the WinSock stack by routing all your DNS queries through the NewDotNet.DLL. To enable detection go to "Settings", "Ignore products", "All products" Tab, right click on "Product", left-click on "Deselect all".

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection against malware invasion.

Microsoft Windows Defender
Windows Defender will give you an additional tool in your control panel named Software Explorer which is excellent for examining software installed on your computer, its startup menu, etc which will help you identify what it is.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx
This also provides realtime protection.

Ewido Antispyware Free
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

SpywareBlaster:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (Win XP and Win 2000):
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

AČ - Free from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4281.html . Run it, click Search for Updates, then click Scan.

What are you doing for a firewall?
Are you using the puny Windows one-way firewall that comes with XP or have you replaced it with a two way firewall that will protect your system from both incoming and outgoing exploits which the Windows Firewall will not do:

Software firewalls with freeware versions
(Run only one and disable the ineffective Windows XP firewall)

ZoneAlarm (freeware) V. 6.5.722
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html
(you can have only one software firewall running. More than one will conflict)

Comodo firewall (freeware)
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Pick one, install it and shutdown your Windows firewall if the third party firewall you set up hasn't already done so. (Zonealarm will by default)

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 October 2006 - 05:23 AM.

#4 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:24 AM

To reiterate: we can't uninstall it. The McAfee folder in Start>All Programs doesn't have an uninstall option, and when I go to Add/Remove Programs, the only thing with McAfee in the name is, funnily enough, McAfee Uninstaller.

Edited by cvgurau, 11 October 2006 - 06:25 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

Go to start/search and type in Mcaffee

See if it finds the Mcaffee uninstaller and if it does double click on it.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

There's a bunch o' ways to rid yourself of this - but the aforementioned suggestions are the best way.

Other ways are to:
1) Contact the PC manufacturer and have them explain how to remove it.
2) Install McAfee while monitoring it with an installation monitor, then remove it manually.
3) Search the hard drive(s) and registry for McAfee stuff, backup everything and then delete the offending entries. (a risky process BTW).

Edited by usasma, 11 October 2006 - 11:33 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

I tried searching for the uninstaller. Couldn't find it.

Which one in particular did you like, usasma? (What I mean is, what do you recommend?)

Edited by cvgurau, 11 October 2006 - 01:04 PM.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:52 PM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hello,
These are the manual uninstall instructions for ALL THINGS McAFEE on your PC!
I'm sorry about the one-long-paragraph format. This was given to me by a McAfee tech after many head banging attempts to get this information. Do this in Safe Mode. A tool you may want to download is Unlocker in case you get any messages "the folder is in use by other persons or programs". If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself this is a good reference for a technically oriented person to have.

Disabling McAfee Startup entries. 1. Click "Start" >> "Run" >> Type msconfig in the "Open box" >> Click "OK". 2. In System Configuration Windows, Click "Startup" tab. 3. Scroll down and uncheck all "McAfee" entries starting with "MC". 4. Click "Apply" and "Close". 5. On prompt to restart, Click "Exit without Restart". Ending McAfee tasks. 1. Right click the "M" icon in your system tray and click EXIT. 2. Then press Ctrl+Alt+Del ---> Task Manager ---> go to Process tab and End Task all the McAfee process. (Mostly Starting with Mc or mc or mpf) Backing Up Registry. Before beginning to edit the registry be sure to back it up. This will safeguard your Windows installation. You can recover your Windows configuration by restoring the backup if something goes wrong. 1. From the Taskbar, click Start --> Run --> type REGEDIT and click OK. The Registry Editor appears. From the menubar, click Registry. Note: If using Windows XP, click File 2. Click Export. 3. The Export Registry File dialog box appears. In the 'Save in' drop-down menu, select Desktop. 4. In the 'File Name field, type backup. 5. In the 'Export range' section, select All. 6. Click Save. Note: To restore the registry, double click on the backup file you just created and follow the prompts. After completing all of these steps and verifying that everything is working properly, delete this file to avoid restoring the old registry. Deleting McAfee entires. 1. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. 2. Click (+) next to Software. 3. Under Software look for any entries like McAfee, McAfee.com and Network Associates if found delete them. 4. Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. 5. Click (+) next to Software. 6. Under Software look for any entries like McAfee, McAfee.com and Network Associates if found delete them. 7. Then click (+) next to Microsoft. 8. Click (+) next to Windows. 9. Click (+) next to CurrentVersion. 10. Under CurrentVersion select the Run folder, now on right hand side look for any McAfee entries if found delete them. 11. Then under CurrentVersion look for Uninstall folder, click (+) next to Uninstall. 12. Under Uninstall look for all McAfee entries if found delete them. 13. Now close registry editor. 14. Then click Start-->Run-->type "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" and click OK and delete McAfee.com folder if it does not allows you to delete, restart your computer and then try to delete it. Check Add / Remove program for McAfee products and if listed. Uninstall them and restart your computer for changes to take effects.

--------
You can use "search" in Windows to verify it's gone. You can run a tracks eraser--CCleaner is free.
Best wishes!

Edited by KoanYorel, 11 October 2006 - 03:10 PM.

O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#10 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

hi,

LaFemmeMichele's recommendation of Ccleaner is ideal, ccleaner has a built-in uninstaller under the tools menu which sometimes lists entries not found in ms add/remove. you could also track down all mccafee enties in programme files and look for uninstall.exe files. the regedits quoted above will take a little time, but may be the best way. these companies seem to make their products that hard to remove some people just give up and look out their credit-card :thumbsup:

good luck :flowers:

#11 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:35 AM

Okay, here's whut I dun there with this here compooter....

I tried Al Frank's Uninstaller Plus, and I uninstalled McAfee. Worked like a charm. Then I installed AVG and Kaspersky (an internet safety....thing; my brother recommended it), and then everything went to pot. I kept getting "this file not found" or "that program just ain't right" messages that simply would not go away. I couldn't do a frakkin' thing on my computer. I tried uninstalling those programs, but that wouldn't work, either, for some reason.

So I said forget it. I used System Restore and put my computer back the way it was two days ago. So here we are again. I have no internet security, no anti-virus protection (as far as I know), and no....nothing, really, and you know what? I couldn't care less. I give up. This crap is beyond my puny widdle mind's capability to comprehend, so I'll leave it for someone smarter and wash my hands of the whole ordeal. Worse comes to worse, I (or someone smarter) will just reformat the pile of gossa and start from square one. (kinda hopin it doesn't come to that, tho. I got a lot of stuff on here that I don't want to give up.....)

Thanks for the advice.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:45 AM

You cannot have two resident anti-virus programs at the same time.

AVG 7 is an av program and so is Kaspersky.

If you can't deal with trying to fix the problem yourself take it to a computer tech, but you need a working, automatic updating anti-virus program resident on your computer.

#13 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:18 AM

Back up the stuff you need and then don't be bothered, merphy's law says that it is moments like these that your harddrives dies.
everyday is a gift

#14 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:19 AM

So, it's either AVG or Kaspersky, and not AVG and Kaspersky?

Ooooooooohhhhh! *smacks head*

Edited by cvgurau, 13 October 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

What happens when you run 2 anti-virus apps at the same time is that they compete for the files that they are scanning. Most times there's no problem - but more often than not they will end up fighting over a file.

The problem here is that if they both give up on scanning that file - it can slip through without a scan. And then you could get infected. Virus writers know this behavior, so it's safe to assume that they try and exploit it when they write their code.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users