Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

419 scammers have a conscience !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

Having enjoyed the imaginative temptations waved in front of me for many years by 419 scammers I have discovered that they have a conscience !

I got such an email the other day, apparently from a senior police officer in Bukino Fasso informing me that a fund of $25,000,000 had been set up to compensate those of us who had been scammed by these evil criminals.

However, I was to reply only to him and to keep this entire matter confidential as it might affect on-going investigations into other such scammers.

Apart from inducing near-hysteria - typing is difficult when you are laughing your head off - I didn't reply to him. After all, since I have never replied to any such email yet I could not, in conscience, claim any part of this 'compensation fund'.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

That is their deliberate trick, make you (or rather make an unaware victim) think that they have a chance to pull a scam and claim compensation they have no right to. This way victims are a little less likely to report the real scam which takes place later, because the victim will have first been made to believe they were pulling a scam and hence won't want to share that fact with the world. It's a deliberate double bluff used by many con artists, the con artist approaches their victim sounding like they themselves are an easy target ("I have compensation that I'm giving away without checking who is entitled to it"), the victim is made to think they can pull a scam and then finds a "small obstacle ("but... we need £500 to pay a bribe before we can get $25M ready for you") this is further enabled by playing on the victim's greedyness (note how it is "$25M" not "$846.25, minus any currency conversion rounding"). The victim pays the £500 for the small obstacle and maybe has their bank details and all the rest of the money in that account stolen too. The scammer disappears. The victim doesn't then want to go to the police about it as they feel it will look like they were trying to pull a scam. The apparent madness of these scammers' emails is all deliberately planned.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users