Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable integrated mic and use headset only mic?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JJM333

JJM333

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

Hi,

Bought a headset for use in gaming, but can't get my laptop's (Acer V 15) integrated mic to turn off and just use the head sets. If I disable the microphone in the sound devices/microphone panel then the mic on the headset won't work. Can't find anything in the bios that would let me enable or disable it either. What can I do? Is there anyway to force just the microphone from the line-in? It's annoying because the hole mic next to the keyboard picks up all key/fan sounds.

Head set is the NUBWO U3.

Pics of sound and recording device panel: https://imgur.com/a/Oi76InO (There's no other hidden devices found).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Computer make and model, and OS ?

On the recording side of your double image, have you tried enabling 'Stereo mix' as well as disabling the default microphone option ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JJM333

JJM333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

It's an Acer V 15 V5-591G-5424. Windows 10. And yes I have tried, I think that's always been there and is unrelated to this.

Just noticed the headset mic isn't picking anything up at all. The integrated mic is only thing recording. So perhaps a way to turn it off or over-ride it is needed? Sound works in headset earphones.

Edited by JJM333, 11 July 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:27 PM

I am not using my machine with Realtek audio at the moment, but most of them have a dedicated app from Realtek that allows you to tweak which microphone(s) and speaker(s) will be used.

Try doing a search with Cortana on your machine for Realtek and see if an app or desktop app shows up, and if it does, fire it up.

I am not quite certain why the stereo mixer for the sound card would be disabled as well.

In addition, are you certain that the jack on your machine is a combo jack that is for a mic/headset combo?  There are still plenty out there that have strictly a headphone jack.

Edited by britechguy, 11 July 2018 - 06:30 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 JJM333

JJM333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

Can't find any Realtek apps installed, despite the sound is using their drivers. Is there somewhere I can download the app/software?

And I have no idea if the jack is strictly headphone or mic/headphone, is there anyway to find this out?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

The first thing I'd suggest you do is visit the Acer support pages for your machine and download the Owner's Manual and any/all updated Audio drivers and/or interface programs.

Look in the Owner's manual with regard to the function of the jack you've got.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users