Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 98 SE wont read floppy disks Drive and disk verified in working system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aaroncnc

Aaroncnc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

So here is my situation.

I have a ibm750 PC with a mobo p/n 60H7020

So the system had a dead hdd and cd drive and floppy drive.

I replaced all dead parts.

Was able to use the the machine with it news parts and use my windows 98 recovery floppy to partition and format the HDD

And then use my recovery floppy to start windows 95 installation off a CD.

All went well, windows installed desktop booted after it was done.

But then i decided to check to make sure windows could read the floppy's disks that just worked 10min ago and suddenly the system says the drive wont respond.

So i took the drive back out and connected it to a winxp machine and the drives and floppys are just fine.

Put them back into the 95 and checked to make sure i could still boot from the floppy and yes i can still boot from them inside the machine.

But when windows loads it wont read any floppy even newer ones and older ones.

What i have tried so far.

in windows 98 i loaded dos and attempted to do cd A: and it would hang then say the drive was not ready

I tried booting into safe mode and check in windows and in dos and again no change

in safe mode i removed the driver had had it reinstall the driver no fix.

When i look in device manager it says the device is functional and no conflicts.

I have 4 other working floppys some out of other windows 95 and 98 systems and they all act the same way.

I need this system to be able to use floppys as i have some vintage software that i need to run and i have no other way to transfer files to this pc besides cd drive and i dont feel like burning a cd every time i need to transfer a 1mb file to this pc and that happens about 2 times a day.

This machine does have 1 item out from the standard it is a EMCO cnc ISA card but other than this there is nothing else besides mouse and keyboard and monitor connected.

If there is a conflict between the floppy and ISA card how can i check and resolve this? i need both to work together.

Thanks so much for reading my wall of text i am glad to see people still care about these old systems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

If there is a conflict between the floppy and ISA card how can i check and resolve this?

I think the best way to prove it would be to temporarily remove the CNC card from the system, and see if the FDD started working normally.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Aaroncnc

Aaroncnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

Well it was my cnc isa card.

I removed it and the floppy drive started working so I was able to install the machine software.

After the sw was done and I reinserted the card all is good.

So  for anyone reading this try to remove any add on cards and good luck.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it. The CNC card probably defaults to an IRQ and/or port address that clashes with the FDD, and once the software is installed it sets it up differently because the FDD has already claimed those resources.

Edited by Platypus, 12 July 2018 - 07:58 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users