Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows 10 on New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jephph

jephph

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hey guys.  I've got an HP Pavilion laptop that seems to have a messed up hard drive.  Automatic repair failed, and I can't run sfc /scannow because of missing files.  I was able to run chkdsk, and it came up with a lot of errors, missing files, etc.  I'm assuming bad HD.  I plan to replace the hard drive, but not sure how to get Windows 10 back on the new drive.  There is no product key on the laptop, and, obviously, I can't get into Windows to find the key.  Is there a simple way to do that that I'm missing?  Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

Hello jephph

When all else fails please contact Microsoft Customer Support: https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

https://www.passcape.com/

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

Hi Jephph,

You don't need a key to reinstall Windows 10, simply download Windows 10 from Microsoft on the same Edition you have now (Home, Pro) and install using a flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you get a prompt for a key during install simply Skip or select the option to enter the key latter, Windows 10 will auto activate using the previous recorded information stored on the Microsoft activation servers (Digital License) about that machine, this will happen automatically when the machine get access to the internet.

Changing only the HDD doesn't affect anything in terms of activation.

Edited by SleepyDude, 11 July 2018 - 11:05 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 jephph

jephph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

old rocker, I can't log onto the laptop because of aforementioned missing files/hard drive corruption, so I can't follow any of the steps in that article, but I guess I'll try calling Microsoft and/or Mason21's suggestion.  Thanks.

#6 jephph

jephph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

Hi Jephph,

You don't need a key to reinstall Windows 10, simply download Windows 10 from Microsoft on the same Edition you have now (Home, Pro) and install using a flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you get a prompt for a key during install simply Skip or select the option to enter the key latter, Windows 10 will auto activate using the previous recorded information stored on the Microsoft activation servers (Digital License) about that machine, this will happen automatically when the machine get access to the internet.

Changing only the HDD doesn't affect anything in terms of activation.

Ahh, cool.  Thanks, SleepyDude!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

This may not be a bad drive. I would at least run the complete System Diagnostics on the HP by tapping Esc at boot. You will be given a menu.

#8 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

You can also use Hiren's boot CD PE to extract the key from BIOS. This method requires you to make a bootable USB flash drive with rufus. (inside rufus select the .iso file you downloaded)  You will need a working PC to make the flash drive.  https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Edited by Mason21, 11 July 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

There is no need to extract the key in UEFI/BIOS. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 then the install will complete without the need to enter a key. If the computer was upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 the license is digital and stored on Microsoft Servers. The install will complete without entering a key just as SleepyDude posted.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

Again, and loudly to reinforce the 100% correct information that SleepyDude and JohnC_21 have shared:  YOU DO NOT NEED A PRODUCT KEY TO REINSTALL WINDOWS 10 ON ANY MACHINE THAT CAME WITH IT (unless you were to replace the motherboard, and even then Microsoft has a procedure to allow this without buying another license key).

There has never been a version of Windows that's simpler to reset or completely reinstall than Windows 10.  All you need is the installation media.  See the topic, Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.  If you follow those you know that you have exactly what you need, even if the drive you bought happens to have been pre-formatted.

Edited by britechguy, 11 July 2018 - 11:53 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Having always owned an actual (dvd) copy of Windows 10, I have never actually had to experience the problem of not having a key written down. Am glad to hear that Windows 10 will recognize the system and activate it automatically. Was unaware of that bit of knowledge. 

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Having always owned an actual (dvd) copy of Windows 10, I have never actually had to experience the problem of not having a key written down. Am glad to hear that Windows 10 will recognize the system and activate it automatically. Was unaware of that bit of knowledge. 

If you have a DVD and a Windows 10 key then most likely you have a Retail license or a Windows OEM key provided by a small hardware integrator...

Most users have a OEM version provided by a big brands like Dell, Asus, HP, etc. that puts the key in BIOS/UEFI or those that accepted the Microsoft offer to upgrade from Windows 7/Windows 8.x have the key stored on the Microsoft activation servers.

Edited by SleepyDude, 11 July 2018 - 12:20 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#13 jephph

jephph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

@JohnC_21  Didn't know that menu even existed.  Thanks!  I tried to f8 into boot menu with no luck a few times, lol.  Anyway, I ran the "System Quick Test" and the "Hard Drive Short DST Check" failed (others passed) Does that mean bad disk?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

Yes. That indicates a failed or failing drive. Have you backed up all your personal data on the drive?

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

Most users have a OEM version provided by a big brands like Dell, Asus, HP, etc. that puts the key in BIOS/UEFI or those that accepted the Microsoft offer to upgrade from Windows 7/Windows 8.x have the key stored on the Microsoft activation servers.

True.   To be 100% correct in my prior statement, "It is not necessary to have a product key to install the same Edition (e.g., Home, Pro) of Windows 10 on any machine that had it legally installed and activated on it in the past, regardless of whether the machine originally came with Windows 10 or not."

The only time one needs a product key on a Windows 10 reinstall is in one of two circumstances:

1.  You have replaced your motherboard and, for some odd reason, could not or did not want to contact Microsoft about doing a free reinstall using the procedure for a change in motherboard.

2.  You are upgrading your Edition of Windows 10, e.g., your machine came with Home and you now want to install Pro or Enterprise.  Technically, you don't even have to do a reinstall to make this happen.  If you go to Settings, System, About Pane you will find a link, near the bottom, that reads, "Change product key or update your Edition of Windows."   If you activate it you will be prompted to enter the new product key and, based on what Edition that key is for, the features for that Edition will be activated.   All Editions of Windows 10 carry all of the features for all Editions along with them, the product key is what determines which are active and visible to the user.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users