Hello all. I just killed my computer today and i was hoping someone could help me revive it >.< .
Issue: Computer only boots to bios. Computer specs: https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=570
How did this occur:
1. Downloaded driver updater from company website listed above.
2. Used driver application to download the listed newest version of my bios and installed when download was complete.
3. Program seemed to run fine and computer shut down but never rebooted. Upon computer restart, windows no longer loaded and I was stuck in bios only.
4. Used my usb to HDD adapter to connect an old harddrive ( with windows on it ) to my currently messed up laptop. When i changed an option to use windows 7 default settings the laptop booted up windows from the external harddrive ( although it runs at a severely reduced speed of around 75% ) .
5. Although I was able to login I was getting an error saying windows could not verify my account and I would be given a temporary account until I fixed the issue. Only other issue I could see was accessing the internal HDD.
6. Downloaded lastest BIOS file from same website without using the driver updater app and installed and had the same results. When I checked msinfo32 i noticed the BIOS version installed was a year older then the one I downloaded off the site so I'm assuming the update didn't actually work.
6b. After the 2nd bios flash I no longer had any issues with my microsoft account but now I can't use the windows button and if i press it I will eventually get a message stating that a critical error has occured and windows will try to fix my start button the next time I start windows. I can still right click the windows button to access those specific options but I don't have access to certain apps where I don't know where the exe is located, like paint for example. Also search seems to be malfunctioning.
7. When I went to "MY PC" both the external and internal HDD's are recognized but neither of my internal SSD's are ( my windows files were stored in my SSD's ). There is an empty drive labeled E but I'm being told it needs to be formatted to be used.
7b. In device manager all 4 drives ( 2 ssd's 1hdd internal 1hdd external ) are listed and appear to be working fine. In disk management I'm immediately hit with a message telling me to initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it. I just hit cancel to bypass that but it also shows that the ssd's are combined and listed as the E drive and that drive is completely empty.
By my best guess right now I'm assuming either the bios update is so old its causing my laptop to not recognize the ssd's or somehow the update caused my ssd's to be erased. I feel like the best solution is to initilize the E drive in disk management, throw a new copy of windows inside of it and see if that will fix my problems. I also wonder if resetting the pc to factory defaults/reinstalling windows would work but I'm assuming it would only affect the external HDD and not the ssd's which is the key issue I believe
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions before I start taking chances to fix my laptop? Thanks in advance.
Edited by Tallgeese3, 11 July 2018 - 10:02 AM.