Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios flash killed my windows 10!? HELP!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Hello all. I just killed my computer today and i was hoping someone could help me revive it >.< .

Issue: Computer only boots to bios. Computer specs: https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=570

How did this occur:

1. Downloaded driver updater from company website listed above.

2. Used driver application to download the listed newest version of my bios and installed when download was complete.

3. Program seemed to run fine and computer shut down but never rebooted. Upon computer restart, windows no longer loaded and I was stuck in bios only.

4. Used my usb to HDD adapter to connect an old harddrive ( with windows on it ) to my currently messed up laptop. When i changed an option to use windows 7 default settings the laptop booted up windows from the external harddrive ( although it runs at a severely reduced speed of around 75% ) .

5. Although I was able to login I was getting an error saying windows could not verify my account and I would be given a temporary account until I fixed the issue. Only other issue I could see was accessing the internal HDD.

6. Downloaded lastest BIOS file from same website without using the driver updater app and installed and had the same results. When I checked msinfo32 i noticed the BIOS version installed was a year older then the one I downloaded off the site so I'm assuming the update didn't actually work.

6b. After the 2nd bios flash I no longer had any issues with my microsoft account but now I can't use the windows button and if i press it I will eventually get a message stating that a critical error has occured and windows will try to fix my start button the next time I start windows. I can still right click the windows button to access those specific options but I don't have access to certain apps where I don't know where the exe is located, like paint for example.  Also search seems to be malfunctioning.

7. When I went to "MY PC" both the external and internal HDD's are recognized but neither of my internal SSD's are ( my windows files were stored in my SSD's ). There is an empty drive labeled E but I'm being told it needs to be formatted to be used.

7b. In device manager all 4 drives ( 2 ssd's 1hdd internal 1hdd external ) are listed and appear to be working fine. In disk management I'm immediately hit with a message telling me to initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it. I just hit cancel to bypass that but it also shows that the ssd's are combined and listed as the E drive and that drive is completely empty.

Closing thoughts:
By my best guess right now I'm assuming either the bios update is so old its causing my laptop to not recognize the ssd's or somehow the update caused my ssd's to be erased. I feel like the best solution is to initilize the E drive in disk management, throw a new copy of windows inside of it and see if that will fix my problems. I also wonder if resetting the pc to factory defaults/reinstalling windows would work but I'm assuming it would only affect the external HDD and not the ssd's which is the key issue I believe

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions before I start taking chances to fix my laptop? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tallgeese3, 11 July 2018 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Have you tried connecting the ssd to another computer via a USB port to see if you can access the operating system files?  I am not suggesting that you install this ssd to run the operating system, this could damage or further damage the operating system.  A Windows operating system is tied to the motherboard components which is what determines which drivers are needed for the boot process.

Do you receive any error messages when you try to boot into Windows 10?

One possibility that I've read about after updating the BIOS is the loss of its' Trim feature which allows the operating system to recognize a ssd.  The Trim can be reactivated, but you need to be able to boot into Windows in order to do this.

Another possibility would be that the BIOS update killed or damaged the operating system.  You can try to run a Refresh to see if the operating system can be repaired.  A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  You will have the options to keep your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any key to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.

On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen.

Select Repair your computer.

On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there.  Select Reset this PC.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Update:

By using the driver pack program ( https://drp.su/en ) I was able to update my chipset drivers and that fixed the issue described in #7 of not being able to access my SSD. Now I'm able to see the drive's capacity, move files in and out of it, and as far as I can tell its functioning normally. I also went a step further and downloaded the crystal disk info program ( https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ ) and all drives appear to be in good functioning order with the only strange part being the fact that the program says the ssd's aren't producing any heat, go figure.

@dc3: thanks for the response! I was starting to get worried that no one cared or that this issue was too difficult to solve!

1. No i have not connected the ssd to another computer. The thought of having to take apart this computer is such a drag that I would probably just pay a shop to fix it before I go through that process. Although as stated in the update above from what I can tell the SSD is still functioning and contains all orginial files/folders including windows.

2. No I do not receive any error messages when trying to boot into windows. The computer boots straight into bios and has been doing that ever since I flashed the bios.

3. will finish later

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:20 AM

Be wary when using DriverPack. Last time I tried it (about a month ago) I started receiving annoying ads popups on my w10 desktop.

I recommend you using Snappy Driver Installer instead. It may work or not for you but it's clean and adware-free.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:25 AM

Have you cleared the CMOS memory? Either by using the clear pins most mainboards have (called something like CLR_CMOS) or removing the CMOS backup battery for a period of time.

Some BIOS updates require this, as the update alters operating parameters, and the locations of the data for these parameters is then different. That can mean if the old invalid data is left in CMOS memory, some hardware functions get bad data and may operate weirdly. That upsets Windows.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:17 AM

As of 7/16/2018 this problem can be considered solved. By using a usb repair stick provided by the company that made my computer I was able to reinstall windows back on one of my ssd drives and have gained control back over my laptop. I want to thank everyone that took time out of their day to help me solve this issue as I greatly appreciate it! With that being there are some lingering issues that have presented themselves so I'm not out of the water yet and if anyone would like to continue helping me I will be making a new topic in this same area addressing these issues. Lastly if a mod can close this topic that be great.

@dc3 you were definitely on the right track. I still don't understand how a bios update could affect windows like that but apparently it did.

@elP : thanks for the advice but I've never had any real issues with driverpack outside of one situation where it downloaded the wrong drivers causing me to have to use a usb mouse/keyboard to use the computer until i could reset the drivers back to normal.  Although Windows update ALSO downloaded the wrong drivers so I don't blame driverpack for that unique incident. Not to say driverpack doesn't have bundleware packed in but if your paying attention and clicking yes/no on the right options I wouldn't imagine the program would install anything that you didn't ask it to.

@Plat: I'm just so thankful I didn't have to research how to do any of what you just said to fix my problem :P .

Edited by Tallgeese3, 17 July 2018 - 04:37 AM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

I know this is solved, but thought I would just post in with a thought.

One of the repeating requests for help on this website come from folks who attempt a BIOS flash and it goes bad. As I remember it, the vast majority had no substantial reason for flashing their BIOS, they just thought it "would improve performance" or some such reason. Others were having problems with Windows and someone suggested "updating the BIOS" will solve it. It will not. In the majority of cases problems with OSs come from corruption in the system, not the BIOS.

My rule is NEVER flash a BIOS unless you have a really important reason for doing so. For practical purposes, "updating" a BIOS successfully will not result in a faster computer, more operating options, or anything else that you would notice in performance of your OS.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Glad to hear you had a satisfactory result. Topics are not generally closed, so that if anything relevant happens later, the topic can be returned to.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

I know this is solved, but thought I would just post in with a thought.

One of the repeating requests for help on this website come from folks who attempt a BIOS flash and it goes bad. As I remember it, the vast majority had no substantial reason for flashing their BIOS, they just thought it "would improve performance" or some such reason. Others were having problems with Windows and someone suggested "updating the BIOS" will solve it. It will not. In the majority of cases problems with OSs come from corruption in the system, not the BIOS.

My rule is NEVER flash a BIOS unless you have a really important reason for doing so. For practical purposes, "updating" a BIOS successfully will not result in a faster computer, more operating options, or anything else that you would notice in performance of your OS.

Couldn't agree more.  :thumbup2:

The only reason I updated the BIOS in my old Compaq desktop was when I upgraded the AMD CPU from a single-core Athlon 64 3200+ to a dual-core Athlon 64 X2 3800+. Despite the newest BIOS available being from 2006 (it's an old machine, like I said), it was necessary for the dual-core support. Even so, albeit with the assistance of an acquaintance on the Puppy Forums, we ended up with a machine that now thinks it has a different motherboard than the one actually installed...

(Years ago, MSI built two almost identical boards, one with 2 SATA ports, one with 4. Mine - the version with 2 - was built under licence for HP (who had just bought Compaq out), and no upgrade was forthcoming. We decided to try the upgrade for the 4-port version, since apart from the different number of SATA ports, the chipsets and architecture were identical. It worked!)

This was carried out using the 'flashbios' utility from the ArchLinux repositories, and the procedure was performed in 'Puppy' Linux. It was, I'm happy to say, entirely successful.....but something like that (a major hardware change) is the only kind of reason you should ever contemplate performing a BIOS update. Otherwise, as ranchhand states, nothing is to be gained.....and you run the risk of making your machine unusable.

At the time, I was literally "sh***ing bricks"..!  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 July 2018 - 09:54 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

I would also like to suggest that anyone contemplating flashing the BIOS that they check with the manufacturer of the computer or the motherboard if this is a custom build.  There are times when a manufacturer will realize that the BIOS lacks in some manner and needs to be upgraded (flashed) and will suggest this at the appropriate website.

I subscribed to the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  As it has already been pointed out, there really isn't any reason to flash the BIOS if the computer is not having problems which are often associated new hardware not working.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

I would also like to suggest that anyone contemplating flashing the BIOS that they check with the manufacturer of the computer or the motherboard if this is a custom build.  There are times when a manufacturer will realize that the BIOS lacks in some manner and needs to be upgraded (flashed) and will suggest this at the appropriate website.

I subscribed to the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  As it has already been pointed out, there really isn't any reason to flash the BIOS if the computer is not having problems which are often associated new hardware not working.

Absolutely.

Too many folks have this weird notion that updating the BIOS will somehow give them a performance boost.....and this comes from not understanding what the BIOS is, and/or what it does.

The Basic Input/Output System is quite a simple, and pretty single-minded beast. Its sole function is to allow each and every single component on your motherboard to 'talk' to each other, in such a way that they all know what they're supposed to be doing in relation to the other components. In other words, so they can all function together as one big, happy family.....instead of squabbling all the time. And once it's done that, and made sure that everything's 'ship-shape & Bristol fashion', it hands over control of your hardware to the OS.

And that, in a nutshell, is all it does. If you change a major component (like I did, with a CPU upgrade on the same socket), yes, you may very well need to upgrade it. Otherwise, I agree with dc3; I, too, subscribe to the school of thought that says, 'If it's working.....leave it the hell alone'..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 July 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 Tallgeese3

Tallgeese3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:54 AM

@ranch : I can't help it, I'm an upgrade junkie!!! I want everything to be as high as it can be because I can't stand the thought of something not running a full performance or having vunerabilites :P . Also a few years back I made the mistake of buying a used laptop due to it having high specs and a low price. It turned out to be totally trashed with several issues. One of the issues was severe overheating which was causing the cpu to throttle back and lockup. After upgrading the Bios it actually fixed the throttling issue so in that particular case it did actually improve performance drastically.

@ plat: Well I thought the topic was over but it looks like you guys still want to party in here, lol . Why not come join me in my new topic as i could still use the help!

@mike: As i told ranch its more of a upgrade compulsion more then anything else. Also I'd never have imagined an update could go so awry. In the future I may be more wary but until then... GIVE ME MOAR POWAH!

@dc3: This is the first time I've dealt with this company and it will probably be the last. This was my first true gaming laptop purchase and I wanted something that would last me awhile but it appears specs aren't everything...

Edited by Tallgeese3, 18 July 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

I can't help it, I'm an upgrade junkie!!! I want everything to be as high as it can be because I can't stand the thought of something not running a full performance or having vunerabilites.

If you are serious, then you should consider building yourself a gaming desktop.  A "good" gaming laptop will cost between $2,000. and $3,600. US dollars.  For that price you could build a righteous desktop without the limitations you experience with a laptop.  Better motherboards, CPU, GPU, PSU, etc.  You also would reduce the ubiquitous overheating issues associated with a laptops in general.

As for problematic updates, as long as you are using a currently supported Windows operating system you will have these problems.  You can thank Micro$oft for this particular snafu.  Windows 8.1 was a bit of an abortion, but the mistakes Micro$oft made with Windows 10 produced a operating system that was broken when it was first released and hopefully will be a good operating system when and if they ever workout all of the bugs with their incessant updates.

I now step off the soapbox. :deadhorse:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users