Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to set up wifi on mint cinnamon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ellipantie

ellipantie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hi I have installed mint cinnamon on an old Dell Inspiron, the only problem is I can't set up the wifi. I have tried some of the ideas on google without sucess.   I am not the best with computers but I think it something to do with drivers. I would be grateful if anyone could give me some guidence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

Well usually mint is very good at hardware detection however hare are some wireless devices either incompatible with linux or not very well supported, mainly because a lot of devices were made for windows only and the linux developers have to reverse engeneer some things.

Luckily you could just bypass this and get a external usb Wifi reciever such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQT0YK2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EQT0YK2&linkCode=as2&tag=wireless2016-20&linkId=c8598a4619fd2144bed2463f850e8b54

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZEOLG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002SZEOLG&linkCode=as2&tag=wireless2016-20&linkId=71235afda88d99f6f45de52d70199504

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN725N-wireless-network-Adapter/dp/B008IFXQFU

Typically TP link is quite linux friendly

If you do even more homework anything by atheros and realtek typically works with linux, these are chipsets and not the name on the side of the package.

Anything with belkin will not work.

Broadcom can also causes issues too, avoid anything broadcom unless its the last resort.

I mean broadcom devices will work with linux but its very hit or miss

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 July 2018 - 08:19 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

Is this a laptop?

There is a work-around if your wireless device is not provided for in the kernel itself.  It is called ndiswrapper, which uses native windows drivers. I found myself using ndiswrapper successfully with an unsupported broadcom chipset a few months ago.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/67003/using-ndiswrapper-for-wireless-networking/

Edited by synergy513, 12 July 2018 - 12:40 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

If you have access to an Ethernet cable pop it in the machine then open terminal and type in: sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

that should install wireless drivers for you. Hasn't failed me yet!

using: "sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source" has worked for me when a live distro had connectivity, but not when installed.

Or if you open "Additional Drivers" it should show you a few options for wireless, video, microcode, etc.

Edited by Viper_Security, 12 July 2018 - 12:45 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 ellipantie

ellipantie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I will get a hold of an ethernet cable and see what I can download. Again many thanks all.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

Open Driver Manager while Ethernet is connected and IMO choose Firmware-b43-Installer, or the one Viper has suggested.  I'd read up on this years ago and some if not a lot were saying that the bcmwl-kernel-source was a little problematic.  It all depends on what hardware you have, I've never had an issue with the one I posted either.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

If you want to post your specs Linux style here is how.  Good for any time you start a new Thread and need some assistance.

1. Open Terminal, Ctrl+alt+t will bring up Terminal, if it doesn't open just Click on Menu and you will see the Terminal under “System” in Mint.  Or in Ubuntu's, Open Launcher and Type Terminal.

2. For Linux Mint, Copy and Paste this Command into Terminal and Hit Enter.
inxi -Fxz

3. For Ubuntu's use this one instead
sudo lshw -short

4. Then Click “Edit” in Upper Left of Terminal
> Click “Select All”
> Click “Edit” Again
> Click “Copy”
> Then in your Post, Click the "Code" Box at Top Middle of your Post, which looks like this “< >” and “Ctrl+V” "Pasting" into the Code Box, OR, just into the Body of your next Post will be fine also.

Edited by pcpunk, 12 July 2018 - 03:10 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,465 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Just out of curiosity (since nobody else has yet asked), what model Inspiron is this.....and how old?

I only ask because my own very elderly Inspiron, being a 'budget' model all of 16 years ago, never actually came with wifi from the manufacturer.....only Ethernet. Pointless us giving advice if you haven't even got a wifi chip in there, I would have thought.

(In which case Madman's advice will be what you need; go for a USB 'dongle'.)

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 ellipantie

ellipantie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

Hi Mike, The machine is 2007 and was running xp with wifi. I will wander off today and get a cord (I live at the back of beyond-no mobile reception and broadband is so slow but it's beautiful here) and I'll see what I can get going. I'm not stuck for a machine as i have another laptop running win7 pro.Thanks for your input.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:33 AM

If you have access to an Ethernet cable pop it in the machine then open terminal and type in: sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

that should install wireless drivers for you. Hasn't failed me yet!

using: "sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source" has worked for me when a live distro had connectivity, but not when installed.

Or if you open "Additional Drivers" it should show you a few options for wireless, video, microcode, etc.

This is brilliant! :thumbsup:

Over time, we've had many members asking how to get their Broadcom wireless cards to work, there were many loops & hoops to go through, especially for a newbie. 

It's outright amazing when this can be done with a single Terminal line. You should create a Tutorial in that section of this forum with the painless answer. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:39 AM

@ Viper Security....... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

Actually, if it were my pc, I would find out which driver is best supported by running this command in the Terminal.

lspci -vvnn | grep -A 9 Network

Then you can install the appropriate driver via Terminal or Driver Manager in most cases.

Please post back that info and we can take a look.

"bcmwl-kernel-source"

"The proprietary Broadcom STA Wireless driver is maintained upstream by Broadcom. As this driver is closed source, fixes in the driver itself may only be provided by Broadcom." 

"b43 driver (Open-source)"

"The b43 infrastructure is composed of two parts. The first is the firmware-b43-installer package. This is simply a script to extract and install the b43 driver firmware, maintained by the Ubuntu community. The second is the b43 driver, maintained upstream by the Linux kernel community. Instructions to install the package may be found below."

The idea here IMO, is to use the one that is best for the device, AND, use the one that is maintained by the Ubuntu Community.

Some of these drivers overlap as you can see, so we should use the Open Source when available...again...IMO.

Edited by pcpunk, 19 July 2018 - 09:36 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users