Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I fix the WD 10 AV Security Center taskbar icon's yellow !-mark?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit version 1803, OS-build 17134.165, updated today, 07/11/2018, and use Emsisoft Anti-Malware as AV/AM and Windows Firewall.

As such, I have permanently disabled Windows Defender 10 Antivirus with a REG-file in order to keep it disabled at all times, and as such, I do not use the Limited Periodic Scanning.

But, ever since the 1803 Update, the Windows Defender Security Center taskbar icon at first during start-up has shown a red X which after a while resolved to a green validation mark.

However, ever since the latest update, it has changed to firstly briefly showing a yellow exclamation mark, secondly followed by a red X and thirdly a yellow exclamation mark, with a "hover over" notification: "Actions recommended."

Nevertheless, upon left-clicking the WDSC, there is/are apparently no action(s) required at all, since all categories show the notification: No action(s) required, with green validation marks, except for the Family Alternatives, which neither shows a notification nor a green validation mark.

And sometimes the computer even becomes unresponsive, with a spinning circle on the mouse icon while hovering it over the taskbar, and afterward, the OS automatically restarts the Windows Explorer, or I have to restart the Windows Explorer manually by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

And hence, my question is as follows;

How do I fix the WD 10 AV Security Center taskbar icon's yellow !-mark?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:31 AM

Doubt if you can. I get the same red X and then yellow icon. and I am also running Emsisoft Anti Malware (I have not run a reg file run to disable Defender)

I have FastBoot disabled so probably the red cross for a minute or so is because Defender service hasn't started as early as EAM.  

I have no problems with unresponsiveness.

As for the yellow exclamation mark.. I have no idea.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:33 AM

I don’t know why you would have had to disable Windows Defender 10 Antivirus with a REG-file if either one or maybe both your Emsisoft Anti-Malware as AV/AM and Windows Firewall are paid for programs: are either one or both paid for programs?

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

Hi, well if you only used defender (the smart money) you wouldn't have this problem. However you should be able to open control panel (category view) then system and security, then security and maintenance, on the left you will see change security and maintenance settings, under turn messages on or off make your selections.

Did you mod the HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\windows defender and add a 32 bit d_word disableantispyware with a value data of 1.

It is also necessary to mod HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\windows defender\real-timeprotection and add a 32 bit d_word DisableRealtimeMonitoring value data 1.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

@midimusicman79

I have found a way to turn off the yellow icon on Win Defender shield   :thumbup2:

I noticed on my neighbours machine that when I did the latest Win Update it also had a little yellow exclamation mark on the shield with ''Actions Needed'' 

He didn't use EAM and when I opened Defender Security Center there was a yellow mark on the Virus and Threat Protection area.

It said One Drive hadn't been set up. Underneath was a Dismiss link. I clicked Dismiss and the yellow mark went.

We don't see that because we have EAM running.

So the answer is to right-click on EAM taskbar shield and select 'Shut down protection'

Open Win Defender Security Center and start Win Defender protection, dismiss the One Drive warning and then turn EAM back on.

What a relief, the yellow exclamation mark is gone. :)

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hi, opera, cmptrgy & jenae!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

@ cmptrgy: Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a paid for program, whereas Windows Firewall is free since it is built into Windows 10.

@ jenae: As opera points out, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is inadvertently hindering the Microsoft OneDrive setup prompt, but disabling the real-time protection of EAM causes the said setup prompt to appear.

@ opera: Great tip, however, since I have Acronis True Image 2018, I do not need Microsoft OneDrive, and as such, I decided to completely uninstall it with several methods and steps from here: https://techjourney.net/disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-completely-in-windows-10/

Microsoft OneDrive namely has the rather irritating behavior of uninstalling and re-installing itself via the command line, and every time it does this, WinPatrol PLUS pops up with a confirmation prompt, which I now will avoid altogether. :smash:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

"The issue has been successfully resolved!" Thanks for letting us know: it's always good to see a successful outcome.

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hi again, opera, cmptrgy & jenae!

One last thing, the uninstall of Microsoft OneDrive left an undeletable file (says it is in use) in one of its folders, so should I re-install MS OneDrive and only disable it instead, to be on the safe side?

Or should I even disk image restore my computer with Acronis True Image 2018 to a point in time just before the new Windows 10 update, re-update my OS and only disable MS OneDrive?

I thought I should rather ask than being unsure, since uninstalling OS-built-in apps like MS OneDrive maybe is dangerous.

Or should I just ignore it?

Thank you all again! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

....and only disable MS OneDrive?

I chose that as I felt it was a better option than messing with things. 

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi, I note you used the info in the link you posted to remove one drive. That appears to be copied from a university internet site where we originally published the technique.The cmd prompt & registry mod's are the way to go, unfortunately since then we have updated the method, you could most likely totally eliminate any issues by now following this method.

Open a cmd prompt as admin and run this cmd:-

del /Q /F "%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.exe" (press enter)

In addition one drive appears in your startup (doesn't show under task manager), you might be surprised what does show, you can go to the registry locations and delete them (perfectly safe).

Press the win + x keys select powershell (admin) from the options. Copy the below cmdlet and right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter:-

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file $home\file.txt
start notepad $home\file.txt

Notepad will open locate the one drive registry keys (regedit) and right click select delete, (this causes no issues).

In addition Task Scheduler will have a number of one drive schedules, Programs , Administrative tools, Task Scheduler locate them and in the right payne select delete to remove.

Actually we have published a full method to modify windows ten safely, removing all apps and telemetry as well as defender, plus schedules and control of updates, it is not published on the web as it requires considerable expertise to implement. Will allow a low end machine to run win 10 beautifully, it was done mainly to satisfy gov'mt defense requirements. 

Edited by jenae, 12 July 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Hi again, opera, cmptrgy & jenae!

I have now disk image restored my computer with Acronis True Image 2018, re-updated my OS and disabled MS OneDrive via Group Policy, so now I have done everything correctly. Good riddance! :smash:

In addition, I have registered a new user account on the Emsisoft Support Forum and posted a new topic about the said issue, so that Emsisoft can address it accordingly.

And here is the said topic: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/29703-emsisoft-anti-malware-is-inadvertently-hindering-the-microsoft-onedrive-setup-prompt/

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 July 2018 - 10:09 PM.

#12 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

@midimusicman79

I have found a way to turn off the yellow icon on Win Defender shield   :thumbup2:

I noticed on my neighbours machine that when I did the latest Win Update it also had a little yellow exclamation mark on the shield with ''Actions Needed'' 

He didn't use EAM and when I opened Defender Security Center there was a yellow mark on the Virus and Threat Protection area.

It said One Drive hadn't been set up. Underneath was a Dismiss link. I clicked Dismiss and the yellow mark went.

So the answer is to right-click on EAM taskbar shield and select 'Shut down protection'

Open Win Defender Security Center and start Win Defender protection, dismiss the One Drive warning and then turn EAM back on.

What a relief, the yellow exclamation mark is gone

I only have Defender and I get that yellow mark periodically, usually because it thinks I need a scan. I simply hit scan and it goes away.

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

@midimusicman79

What a relief, the yellow exclamation mark is gone

I only have Defender and I get that yellow mark periodically, usually because it thinks I need a scan. I simply hit scan and it goes away.

We are not using Win Defender as we have a third party Av installed.

No scans are ever done with Defender as it is turned off.

The actual yellow exclamation mark is from the Windows Security Center.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

Well this might be helpful for some of you are not using Windows Defender

Go into Task Manager, Startup and disable Windows Defender notification icon

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hi, ccleaner left on default settings, will remove defender scan logs, and so defender thinks it hasn't run, hence the warning, if you still use ccleaner. I stopped using it some time ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users