Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Windows 10 Update Causes Microphone Echo/Feedback Loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

Hi all.

Last night I installed the KB4338819 update for Windows 10. It shut down no problems, but once it restarted to finish updating I started getting a high-pitched echo/feedback loop from the mic. I had been using the voice chat on Discord prior to shutting down, so I would imagine that had to have started to screw things up. I was using the internal microphone, not a headset. The echo/loop persisted when I turned the laptop on this morning. I checked for updates with the driver and it claimed to be up to date so I'm more and more puzzled.

As far as I can tell this is the only issue I'm having with this update. The rest of my audio is still working well and I don't recall any hiccups or issues with the update's application. I would poke around with reinstalling drivers but I don't want to touch anything without knowing what to do.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 1803 17134.81 Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 Dell Inc., Inspiron 5559, x64-based PC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Are you taking routine full system image backups of your machine?   [If not, you should be.]  I ask because if you are, and you have one from shortly before the feature update, that gives you a lot of latitude to play and not worry.

In any case, if it's the internal microphone, you could try uninstalling the device in Device Manager then doing a Scan for New Hardware.   These are plug n' play devices and sometimes a completely fresh installation of the device and its driver will do the trick.

This is the first report I've heard of microphone audio issues with Version 1803.  There were lots of complaints early on about crackling in audio output, but that seems to have been fixed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

Are you taking routine full system image backups of your machine?   [If not, you should be.]  I ask because if you are, and you have one from shortly before the feature update, that gives you a lot of latitude to play and not worry.

In any case, if it's the internal microphone, you could try uninstalling the device in Device Manager then doing a Scan for New Hardware.   These are plug n' play devices and sometimes a completely fresh installation of the device and its driver will do the trick.

This is the first report I've heard of microphone audio issues with Version 1803.  There were lots of complaints early on about crackling in audio output, but that seems to have been fixed.

I haven't been taking those kind of backups. I know I should be, though, with how 'interesting' these things can get (or just in general). The most I've done are backups of vital info prior to creator updates so I'll probably start making image ones regularly too.

Your suggestion worked. Uninstall and reinstall and we're back to normal. Thanks! Wish I had known it was something that simple, the whole process would have been a lot less of a pain for me. :) The fact that I seemed to be the only one with this kind of report threw me off a little about what I was supposed to do.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

You're quite welcome. 

I've been dealing with computers generally, and Windows in all its iterations, since the 1980s.

It's amazing sometimes how easy it is to fix certain things that you'd think would be hard and, sadly, vice versa.  There's nothing more frustrating than having a problem that you think "should take 5 minutes" to fix only to find that you still haven't done it weeks later!!

It also teaches you that you have to learn when "trying to figure it out" is going to take more time, effort, and (if you're paying someone) money than just starting over and never knowing why something happened.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users