Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thousands of screenshots

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 eddb

eddb

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:46 AM

My W10 Pro computer takes thousands (several per second) of screenshots without any initiation. The keyboard is connected to a KSM and the other W10 pcs are not affected
so I don't think it is a keyboard issue.
what could be causing it?

Edited by Al1000, 12 July 2018 - 08:00 AM.
moved from Win 10 Discussion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

What software is the screenshots taken with?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:37 AM

Could be a virus.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:01 AM

No idea what software if any. It's as if the prtscr key was held down. Replaced the KB just in case. I just deleted 57000 screenshots from overnight.  I'll be doing a deep virus scan while I am out to walk my 6.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:32 AM

More thoughts.

Maybe check Task Scheduler to see if any odd tasks exist.

Check Triggers & Actions tabs for tasks.

An odd action might be, "Take thousands of screenshots".

Maybe check Task Manager for odd running programs.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#6 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Nothing on the scan. No obvious programs scheduled or running.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

Please refresh my memory: what is KSM for and how is it used?

"The keyboard is connected to a KSM and the other W10 pcs are not affected"

#8 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:36 AM

Sorry KVM not KSM. A switch that lets me link 4 PCs to one set of Keyboard Mouse and Monitor (Vga)

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

Thanks eddb. 

On the issue at hand then, it happens on only 1 out of the 4 PC's.

Would it make sense to remove the affected computer and have only the 3 remaining ones to ensure whether or not the same issue happens?

Edited by cmptrgy, 12 July 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#10 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

The KVM essentially isolates the 4 (only 3 are on right now). And after failing to complete a restore under every possible condition (safe mode - Administrator etc) somehow on of the restores seemed to have worked.

And so far today the problem has not occurred.

I am hoping the evil bug the avoided all my security has been wiped out (Avast Malwarebytes Pro and one or two more all failed to find anything) I intended to run Hijack this today.

But 6 hours in to a new day and everything is OK.

thanks to everyone who replied

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

I use Macrium Reflect to make system images.

It really pays to keep a good working copy of your OS.

It has saved me a lot of headaches over the years.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

HJ This isn't a program you want to run without adequate training in running this program or sufficient supervision.  If mistakes are made it can cause more problems than good.

If you believe that your computer is infected you need to start a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.  

You will need to do the following prior to starting your topic.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

* If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
   * In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done this, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so this topic can be closed by a Moderator.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Malware Response Team Members.  The MRT members look for topics which have not been addressed.  If you bump your topic it will make it appear that your topic is being addressed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

I have used HJ in the past. Never found anything unusual in those instances and therefor did not need to post. Also managed to find the problems in other ways.

I also use Terabyte Image. And was ready to resort to that. I do twice monthly whole drive backups.  And nightly backups of all changes of data. And monthly whole folder backups of important data. Plus Live Cloud backups.

I was hoping the windows backups would work for a restore. I also have Windows Image backups. I was even willing, with regrets, to do a clean install. UGH.

Backups galore. Somehow one of my system restore attempts worked.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

If you ever find yourself in need of doing a reinstall of the operating system you can do a Reset which basically reinstalls the operating system but offers the option to save your personal data.  The downside is that this will also uninstall any third party programs and updates reverting the operating system to its' default configuration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

Thanks, that is what I meant to say in my last reply. Most of my DATA is on 2ndary hard drives. A full install would not effect the data. My primary is a relatively small SSD. I have 5-6 gig of data on other drives. All backed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users