Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a legal manner to get more than one concurrent RDP connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 webrider

webrider

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:18 AM

Hi everyone,

Hope you're doing well.

I'm working on setting up a terminal server environment running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Using Hyper-V I would like to get a thing like this working :

• a first virtual machine hosting Windows Server 2012 R2 with basic configuration (ADDS, ADCS, DHCP, DNS, RDP Gateway)
  • a second virtual machine hosting Windows 7 SP1 for which I would like my clients to connect to via RDP but more than one concurrent connection

The physical machine is of course a Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Hyper-V role.

I've got all the licences needed for this (users CALs and RDP CALs) but I can't get it working because Windows 7 is a client OS. If I replace Windows 7 by Windows Server it works perfectly.

I know it's possible to hack Windows 7 to do this but this is not an professional option and I need Windows 7 because the software I need is not compatible with Windows Server.

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks a lot !

webrider

Edited by hamluis, 11 July 2018 - 05:09 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Virtual Machines - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

I believe this would violate the microsoft EULA agreement as it states you can only login one user at a time if you care about licensing agreements.

You might be able to connect to a machine using a third party software such as VNC to with a single user but if your trying to login into the same machine with different users (USER1,USER2), it wouldn't work by designed without breaking that EULA.

RDP Cals are only useful for terminal servers.

Edited by MasterNe0, 11 July 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#3 webrider

webrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

Why don't they allow more than one concurrent RDP connection, I can't understand that. A simple hack can make it happen !

I have setup a VDI based on virtual hosts but it consumes a lot of resources as it need a virtual Windows 10 for each RDP client. And based on session it doesn't work for me because CALs are restricted to Windows Server and the soft I need to share is not compatible with it.

That's the story of the cat biting its own tail.

It seems to be confirmed : no legal way to do it.

Thanks for your reply MasterNe0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users