Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop abruptly shuts off rather than performing the selected low battery action

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:46 AM

Hello,  I hope this is ok to ask this... I've posted before months ago but the problem has changed since then so I am writing something new. I originally thought to try to solve it myself, but after looking things up I became afraid of messing with anything if there may be a more simple solution I'm missing, so this is why I haven't jump straight to resetting things or anything..

( 1. ) Basically my computer turns off completely (not shut down fully, just abrupt 'pew' noise and screen black), seemingly instead of giving low battery notifications?? It's as if the notification itself causes a problem:  If adjust the limit that the notification is supposed to be shown at, then it just shut down whenever that is. If I go into battery settings and set it to do 'low battery action' at 15% it will abruptly turn off at 15%.  If I move low battery action to 35%, it then happens at 35%. Instead of doing anything, it just shuts off (Which is not what it is set to do. Currently I've set it to hibernate at low battery instead of showing notification, in case that might have help, but it never hibernates either, it still just turn off right at whatever the point is for when low battery action is set to occur). 

( 2. ) The only other thing is that I do notice a few weird stuff with the battery concept in general, especially more variance when I'm playing games, as if when I'm fully away from desktop it actually work more properly (sort of).. For example I've had all of these happen in the same exact day (during playing game): -hibernates at what it shows to be 70% , - actually shows critical battery notification at %10 , - shuts off at 55% , - says its at %100  then i unplug it and it's now at %67 , - hibernates at %40. I used to think it just turn off randomly but I think maybe it only seemed random because battery level reading is inaccurate, making problem seem more unpredictable than it is? But especially odd that when I am in a game or something, the notification seem to actually work mostly (it does hibernate like it is supposed to, perhaps at wrong power level, but maybe the displayed power level is just wrong, and at least it still DOES it instead of just shut off), but anything outside of that (when on normal desktop not playing game) it will no longer work. I don't know if this helps or means anything, but I thought I would include a note about difference in behavior when on games.

( 3. ) Also, currently it rarely charge above 78 - 80%. Nothing happened and I did not change anything. The green light used to come on to indicate the battery is properly full and it hasn't come on in probably a week no matter how long I leave it plugged in. Occasionally it does actually charge up to 100% but there's nothing predictable I notice that influences whether it does it or not. A good 80% of the time it no longer charge all the way (or at least does not display as if it has). This is recent problem just in past few weeks. 

These are the only functioning issue I notice with my computer at all. After it abruptly shuts off, as long as I connect to power source, it turns back on totally fine and just as quick with seeming no real issues. I don't notice anything else other than this few things. I think I heard it is not good to have your computer just turn off without properly shutting down, and maybe that can cause damages, so I haven't extensively tested many things (changing setting around and then leaving it to see if it will still turn off) as I don't want to cause more harm, but I have been closely observing it and have tried the few things ( seeing if setting low battery action to hibernate instead of pop up notification would make difference, etc.) so I am still fairly sure about it's behavior and am being as accurate as possible to tell you all I know of the issue. 

Anyway, that is my current understanding of the problem. Since I have more time to observe it (I think other post was four months previous) I no longer see it as random shut off, but now see it seem to only occur at low battery action level... I have tried to include that speccy and things which were asked for that I included last time but please let me know if any of them don't work, I am not used to posting or speaking online. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Please let me know if you need any other information or have any question. Thank you for anyone who reads or have any suggestions for what I can try to fix the problem. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MRWkqguqpn6flOm5IQM3Z5h

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 July 2018 - 08:45 AM.
Moved to Windows 10. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

How to create a detailed battery report in Windows 10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/generate-battery-report-windows-10

How's your battery holding up? The Windows 10 Battery Report will tell you
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/hows-your-battery-holding-up-the-windows-10-battery-report-will-tell-you/

#3 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Okay, I have done this battery report following instructions you link to,, but., forgive me.. I am not sure what to do with it? Sorry for the uncertainty, you did not give me any instruction. I can see the results and tell a few things from them but nothing that say why low battery notification cause it to shut off? Sorry again if I am misinterpreting or not picking up on something I should know from seeing battery report.. If so, could you explain to me what I am missing? 

Edited by ScrampleEgg, 13 July 2018 - 09:06 AM.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

It looks like we'll need a better method to determine the issue you are focusing on: "why low battery notification cause it to shut off?"

Please post the make/model of your computer, how old is the computer and Is the battery the original one?

Which power plan are you using and would you be ok with setting to default options?

#5 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

I now do have question about the battery report,, the only thing which stands out (that I can tell) from looking at the information  is I see battery full charge capacity goes down over time, but I am unsure if that relates to the problem. Do you know what's normal amount for battery capacity to reduce over a few years? How much is too much or that would indicate a problem (for example, if reducing by 25% less than original value over two years were abnormal,etc.)? If it's gone down too much could that mean it's broken? Is that aspect even relevant, or is it probably unrelated to main issue? 

To answer your questions : 

-I think the model of computer is Asus ROG GL502VT, or at least that is the ''name'' of it, I don't know if you mean more information than that. The link in my original post has that speccy thing which I think seems to have much additional information about computer if in case I haven't provided it correctly. I apologize  if I am mistaken

-The computer is about two years old.
-The battery is the original battery it came with. 

- I do currently have it set to default battery plan option (or at least I did reset it in the battery option menu, I am under impression it is back to default), since that was one of the thing I tried in order to fix the computer just abruptly dying instead of carrying out low battery action.  Though I can reset  again if needed. Thank you for your help and patience so far

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

I'm back now and the information you are providing is excellent, no issues there.

I have an HP laptop and use their Support Assistant to automatically detect my HP products: in the Troubleshooting and fixes section there is a battery diagnostic 

Does ASUS have a similar program?

Unfortunately my laptop battery is dead so I can't experiment on diagnosing it.

I just checked the Balanced Power plan default settings my HP laptop battery would operate at. 

Default settings:                                     Battery   Plugged in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the low battery notifications?  Options are On/Off
Mine are:                                                On         On
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Low battery level?                                  Options are manually variable
Mine are                                                 10%      10%
Low battery action:                                 Options are Sleep, Hibernate, Shutdown
Mine are                                                 Do nothing  Do nothing
Critical battery notification:                     Options are On/Off
Mine are                                                 On          On
Critical battery level:                               Options are manually variable
Mine are                                                 5%          5%
Critical battery action:                            Options are Sleep, Hibernate, Shutdown
Mine are                                                 Hibernate  Hibernate
Reserve battery level:                            Options are manually variable
Mine are                                                 7%           7%

Please note default settings similarly (I don't think you have to post them yet unless the issue happens again)

--- If your issue does occur, post the time and actual battery level if you can.

The following is based on my power settings but the same principle would apply in your case if these are true.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the battery is discharging so quickly that the 10% low battery level reaches the 7% reserve battery level down to the 5% critical battery level essentially immediately and the issue occurs even if the critical battery action isn't set to shut down but the battery just runs out of juice.

Edited by cmptrgy, 13 July 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Consider re-calibrating the battery: here is one method

How to recalibrate the battery in your Windows 10 laptop

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-calibrate-battery-your-windows-10-laptop

You might want to bookmark this site

https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Get the manual for your computer and see if they have a section where they recommend how to calibrate your laptop battery

Edited by cmptrgy, 13 July 2018 - 10:09 PM.

#8 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

I do not know if my computer has similar battery thing to yours but I attempted to find something. I went to control panel and search to find 'Troubleshoot' page, they have 'power' section which I guess is what relates to battery so I click to do it, it ran something called 'diagnostics troubleshooting wizard'. But then all it say is 'no changes or updates were necessary'. I also did the 'hardware and devices' troubleshooting option in case maybe battery is there, but it also didn't say anything about the battery. 

I initially wonder same thing about if maybe the battery drain too fast for notification to even show up before dying, but became unsure once I noticed how it doesn't matter what level it at and seem to shut off no matter what. Like how if I set 'low battery' level to 15%, the computer shut off at 15%, but if I set it to 45% then it shut off at 45%. That made me think maybe it more have to do with something about the act of reaching low battery level itself rather than actual amount battery is charged? But occasionally when I'm playing games (the only time the notification actually show up and work properly without shutting off whole computer), I have had it skip low battery notification entirely and jump directly to critical battery notification, so it's not unheard of to go from like 40% to 5% in a few second or something (though this could be skewed since battery drain much faster when playing game, maybe is not normal behavior) and perhaps that still could be the underlying problem.

Okay these are mine, and I just now reset to default once more again just to make sure - 

critical battery notification - on battery : on , plugged in: on
critical battery action - on battery: hibernate , plugged in: hibernate
low battery level - on battery: 10 % , plugged in 10% (I've change this before to see if it would help but it still just shut off at whatever % I set it to)
critical battery level - on battery: 5% , plugged in: 5%
low battery notification  - on battery: on, plugged in: on  (this is the one that never works, at 'low battery notification level' this is where it just shut down no matter what action I set for it or what level I set 'low battery' to be at)
low battery action - on battery: do nothing , plugged in: do nothing (I have change this in the past to other things like 'hibernate' to try and offset the fact that low battery notification never works, but this never happens correctly either unless I'm in a game window)
reserve battery level - on battery: 7% , plugged in: 7% (I've  change this before too to see if it helps and it doesn't seem to but I haven't change it as much as other thing so am unsure)

So yes, mine seem mostly same as yours. 

About posting time and battery level of when issue occurs:  Currently I am actively not letting the issue occur, I closely monitor level and rush to plug it in whenever it get even close to 'low battery notification' level, because I hear it is bad for computer to just turn off without letting it properly shut down first. I can try to actually let it shut off a few times just to note what the levels are around that time, but I didn't think I need to as the issue is already predictable kind of. I am mostly certain that the issue occur any time I let my computer get to specifically whatever percent 'low battery notification' level is set to. Though I usually can not tell exact battery level as computer shuts off and has to be plug in again to come back, but it only take like 20 seconds to be back at desktop so it probably doesn't get that much time to charge, so it still is around there (for example, if low battery notification were set for %20, computer may shut off at maybe 21% and upon being back to desktop show it is %18 charged. It is always within a few % of the low battery level it shut off at). But if you think I need to I can still  let it shut off though, or experiment with something if you have any idea.. I just have been actively preventing it from shut off because I did not want to hurt computer (past few month I keep it plugged in a lot, I still try to let battery uncharge as much as I can since I hear it is bad for battery to leave it plugged in all the time, but I am limited due to fear because I don't want to let it uncharge too much and shut off again)

And I will do the battery calibration later today once back from work. I found instruction on asus website. The only question I have is, after calibration, what do I do? Am I suppose to let it shut off and see if the problem still happen? Or run the battery diagnostic thing again? 

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:39 PM

You had battery problems back in March. I didn’t examine the details or if there was a solution. If there wasn’t a solution you’ve been running the system as best as you can. If there was a solution, it hasn’t lasted. Now there are problems per the subject of this thread that started 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. You have been “monitoring” & have noticed a predictable pattern from the way it looks. Not many people would bother to do that but at least you did.

However, in post #1 ” Playing games has some degree of working more properly when away from desktop. However there are inconsistencies such as: hibernates at what it shows to be 70% , - actually shows critical battery notification at %10 , - shuts off at 55% , - says its at %100  then i unplug it and it's now at %67 , - hibernates at %40.”I used to think it just turn off randomly but I think maybe it only seemed random because battery level reading is inaccurate, making problem seem more unpredictable than it is? But especially odd that when I am in a game or something, the notification seem to actually work mostly (it does hibernate like it is supposed to, perhaps at wrong power level, but maybe the displayed power level is just wrong, and at least it still DOES it instead of just shut off), but anything outside of that (when on normal desktop not playing game) it will no longer work.”

--- Those inconsistencies are the sign of a dying battery and monitoring those inconsistencies are very difficult. I have found some battery monitoring programs on-line and if it was worth it, they could be investigated them but I don’t think they are worth it.

On the battery tests you ran, I was hoping we could compare those standalone reports with a follow-up run a little later on but I strongly suspect it won’t matter.

On the speccy report, the battery was at 76% with only an estimated 54 minutes of remaining battery time: another tell that the battery is dying.

So now I believe the only hope to get some decent usage on the battery is to recalibrate it.

Please go ahead and run the recalibration and evaluate the results.

In the meantime, start looking for a new battery unless recalibrating it is more successful than I expect.

#10 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:11 AM

Sorry this has taken a while, I had to find convenient time to actually sit and let computer die like that to calibrate.
 I have now completely followed the calibration instructions.. I am unsure if it worked properly however because the last I checked only a minute or so before shut down it was only at 23%, so I don't know it it actually able to reach completely uncharged state.. but of course the 23% reading could have been wrong (since it often is), maybe it was really at 3% or something and did actually end up uncharging all the way like it supposed to.  I have not noticed any difference in the computer since doing so, but it also has not been very long since I do it. Let me know if I need to do anything else, do any tests or give you any information to follow up after this calibration. 

So a question I have: if you say battery is dying, you mean I will have to buy a new one and replace it? Is that fairly safe to do on my own as long as I carefully follow tutorial?

Also, is it normal for a computer of only around two years old to already need a battery replaced??
When I first got computer I knew I want to make it last a very long time (I do not have much money, it was very rare circumstance to be able to finally afford a computer of my own), and I tried to look up good practices, articles about things you should not do, or things that run down battery which you should avoid, etc. I have tried to be very careful with it, yet still it is gone bad so soon?? Is that normal?

If it is not normal:  do you know if that could mean something? Like some other underlying problem? Or is there common mistake many people make that cause them to accidentally ruin their battery without knowing it?
If I am to go through the saving up money to buy new battery and all that, I just really really want to make sure this wont happen again and that I won't, in my ignorance or because of some under surface issue I am unaware of, just have the same problem happen again repeating. 

Sorry again for response taking a while, but thank you so much for your help so far

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

Not a problem on your response time. I'm not in the computer business but a volunteer at our senior center. I have seen new battery's that lasted only a few years, don't recall the longest life a new battery lasted. Go to ASUS website and look for the best way to manage a battery. In the meantime don't use the battery as much as you can. I'll be glad to provide information for buying the correct replacement battery if you wish.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Your computer: Asus ROG GL502VT

The computer is about two years old. The battery is the original battery it came with.

Go to ASUS support https://www.asus.com/us/support/

--- At the bottom of the page you will see methods to contact them.

--- Register your product on their website.

Following is some information for you to review.

--- Afterward contact ASUS and let them know your new battery has lasted only 2-years.

--- If it needs to be placed, ask what the cost will be: this is the time to find out. 

Asus ROG GL502VT E-Manual: E11196 First Edition January 2016 116 pages

--- IN SEARCH OF INCREDIBLE

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL502VT/0409_E11196_GL502VT_VY_A.pdf

--- I don’t know if that’s the right one for your computer: that is why I recommend you register your product.

On the following pages of information, I extract the most important parts 

Charge your Notebook PC Page 26

IMPORTANT: Input voltage & Input frequency are common in the US.

Rating output current: 9.23A (180W)

--- That’s a powerful minimum requirement. As I said I’m not in the computer business so I don’t know how to explain this in the correct technical terms, but as a simple computer user, I’ve read if a computer battery cannot meet its minimum requirement for whatever reason, it cannot handle power management properly and it results in inconsistent use, possible overheating issues and eventually I suppose wears itself out.

Rating output voltage: 19.5V

--- This is pretty normal.

Page 27

IMPORTANT: Locate the input/output rating label on your Notebook PC and ensure that it matches the input/output rating information on your power adapter.

WARNING: Only ASUS-authorized technicians should remove the battery inside the device (for non-removable battery only).

--- I suspect your battery non-removable: is that the case?

Do a Web search: Asus ROG GL502VT battery life. I’ve seen many negative comments.

--- Whatever you find, bring them up when you contact ASUS.

#13 ScrampleEgg

ScrampleEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Okay, that sounds good. I suppose I will just have to look for battery, and contact them about it.  Hopefully I can do research and get new battery and see if that sort everything out. I do not know if my battery is removable (hopefully it is, I would prefer to do myself rather than have to go to someone and pay extra to have them do it, but I guess in this unfortunate situation  it may be unavoidable..), but I will find out and act accordingly. Thank you so very much for your guidance and help and providing good additional information to help me in my search. Hope you have a great day and very good life ! 

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

Once I got to be familiar with what your computer consisted of I suspected the battery isn't removable so I went back into the manual I found to verify that.

Page 19 includes it cannot be disassembled.

Please register your computer with ASUS so you can see direct information on your computer: maybe even a warranty that might be helpful in your case.

And recommended usage and specifications. I know what the manual I posted says but verify what you need to know.

When you contact ASUS, ask them vehemently something like "So how long should a well maintained battery properly calibrated with recommended best practices last?"

They won't be able to give you an exact answer but the point is: more than 2 years should be expected. Good luck.

EDIT: I have a Dell desktop & an HP laptop.

On my Dell, I use their DELL SupportAssist for PCs and tablets  and on the HP, I use their HP Support Assistant and use them to ensure the computers are "up-to-date" per their recommendations.

On my HP laptop, it also includes a battery diagnostic.

The Dell is a desktop but is just as useful it performs properly

Does ASUS have a similar system? I didn't see one referenced in the manual, but ask them.

Edited by cmptrgy, 19 July 2018 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users