Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - BSOD, hard locks, display driver crashes and loss of monitor output

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

This is my first post here.  I know I should be introducing myself first but I'm really desperate for some opinions on these problems I've been having, I'm being hasty.  Sorry guys. 

Ever since the end of last month I've been having some issues on my PC. While playing games my computer can lock up tight, the game can crash THEN lock up tight, my video drivers crash, recover and then lock up tight. The window can go a single color then lock up tight. There's also an interesting phenomena where input to both of my monitors dies but I can still shut down windows with the power button. In most cases on reboot everything is just fine again.

I have hunches but I'd like some opinions before I do anything really invasive or start replacing parts. I've also tried to take notes on each occurrence but I'll throw that into post 2 because it's so wordy.

Here's my speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tdTBfwL0bNbLHx4rJADNlnR

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:59 AM

Crash 1: Saturday 30th 11:09pm
Playing vermintide 2. Picture froze, sound stuttered and stopped. After a few seconds the signal from video card cut. Went to no signal and both screens went to standby. Unplugging replugging cables did nothing. Pushed power button to initiate shutdown, successful. Turned power off at supply, back on
and rebooted, functioned normally.

Checking logs afterward I found a BSOD citing the directx along with nvidia drivers. Unsure how BSOD occurred since PC managed to shut itself down.

Crash 2: Sunday July 1st
Was playing SPAZ2, game abruptly froze up. Mouse got jerky and unresponsive, but still moved slightly, got progressively worse. Unable to kill game, had to reboot PC.

Disconnected PC and cleaned dust out of case.

Crash 3: Monday?
Shortly after startup the PC became largely unresponsive. High CPU cycles despite nothing apparently using them. Monitors froze up, had to reboot.

Checked for system restore points. Only one, from July 1st, after the issue started presenting itself. Ran Bitdefender quick scan, nothing found. Uninstalled Bitdefender antivirus, cleaned remainder with removal tool. (Have had issues with antivirus being destabilized before) Uninstalled video drivers, cleaned geforce 391.35 drivers with removal tool and installed 398.36. Ran Memtest86 for 9 hours, no problems found. Ran prime95 for 2 hours, no problems found. Ran Malwarebytes full scan, nothing found.

Crash 4: Friday, 1:40am
Playing Dying Light. Game froze, given dialog box that game crashed, option to check for fix or close. Used spacebar to select close. No responsiveness after that. Seeing windows update listed ready to install on tray. Also seeing blue I notification on systray. (Later found out that was an alert that the game wasn't compatible with aero and it had been disabled. Though I've also had times where the same game gets backgrounded to display a warning that system had become slow, giving me the option to disable desktop composition, which I was assuming was the same thing.) Had to to hard reset.

Event viewer recorded nothing other than an unexpected shutdown of the kernel at 1:40, and reboot at 1:46. Let raid verify itself for a while, then shut down.

Crash 5: Saturday 12:48pm
Turned on PC, raid verification resumed at 40% from last night. Waited for OS use HD activity to die down. Started Steam and began playing Dying Light. About 5 minutes in the game froze up. Attempted to alt-tab, mouse cursor appeared but nothing else. PC completely locked, capslock unresponsive. Held power button to hard reset

Instead of shutting down, PC restarted. Opted to start windows normally from diag screen. Screen went black before going to login screen. Logged in, screen went completely white, then black, then recovered to windows desktop. Nvidia tray item says that Nvidia kernel recovered from an error.

Ran prime95 for another half hour, no issues, temps within norms. Ran rkill to test for malicious programs, and ran malwarebytes rootkit scan for good measure, nothing found. Malwarebytes junk removal tool removed a couple registry keys. Windows defender scan found nothing.

Attempted to use video ram testers. Most were limited at 1 or 2 gb of ram. Memtest G80 could go up to 3gb of ram testable, but after that it errors out and won't run or completes all tests in 0ms with millions of errors.

Sunday: 12:55am
After running a video stress test with OCCTPT for an hour with GPU temp looking normal, then played some Dying Light. About 20m in both screens turned orange and then shut off, no signal. (Same as the first event on saturday) No responsiveness from PC hdd or capslock for approx 2 minutes, then resumed activity. Able to press power button to initiate shutdown, which succeeded.

Event viewer shows nvlddmkm stopped responding and recovered, but by then signal to both monitors had been lost and hadn't returned. Application log shows information event for windows error reporting, LiveKernelEvent, no signatures, dump files available. Also registered “Device action request for device [device ID of my video card] was vetoed by [Device ID of my video card] with veto type 8. No BSOD recorded. The only one I have is from Saturday's initial instance. Ran windows file integrity scan SFC /SCANNOW, everything checked out. Disconnected HDMI out to TV, disconnected Corsair USB headset to see if those were cause.

Tuesday: 1:31am
Playing Vermintide 2 approx 50 minutes. Game crashed to desktop, Nvidia tray icon saying nvidia driver kernel crashed and recovered. About 10 seconds later the entire screen went blue-gray, all responsiveness lost, no capslock, power button control or hdd access. Hard shut down with power button, automatically restarted. On restart, (didn't notice it post) no input to screen, no hdd activity, no capslock. Single press of power button turned everything off near-instantly. Powered down at switch on pow supply 1minute, turned on and powered up. Booted to windows.

Only errors recorded in event viewer was display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and successfully recovered, and alert that kernel lost power unexpectedly. Only other log after display drivers recovered was diagnostic system host service entering a running state then the logs stop.

Also observed: 1:30:26, request made by process (4) to disable Desktop Window Manager, followed by DWM unable to start because composition was disabled by running application. Display driver stopped responding at 1:30:27. Possible correlation.  Disabled desktop composition. Uninstalled video drivers from safe mode with DDU, reinstalled freshly downloaded drivers, same version. Started Vermintide 2 into hub area and looked inside case to observe both fans on GPU do function.

Tuesday July 10th, 5:30:07pm

Attempted to join a game of Vermintide 2 after checking the fans at the hub area. Almost instantaneously upon load-in, picture froze, sound stuttered then turned into a buzz and screen turned mono-color. Went to check fans again and could hear a squealing noise from inside the computer's case. (sounds like capacitor noise but worryingly loud) Held power button to shut down.

Attempting to restart, opted to load windows normally. Windows loaded but instead of login screen, black screen. No HDD activity, no capslock no mouse. Held power button to hard shut down again. Rebooted again and got into windows. Event viewer shows nothing other than a loss of power to kernel, no other logs from that time period. No bluescreen log.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Hi. . .

You had a video related BSOD - bugcheck 0x117 - in June that named NVIDIA as the probable cause.

Update or roll back your NVIDIA drivers.

https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=nvlddmkm.sys

Loss of monitor output could be the video card itself. Swap it out if possible. Make sure the interior of your system is free of dust.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 11 July 2018 - 08:42 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#4 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

I'm suspecting it's a video-related everything. 

The drivers I had when this started were 391.35 , back from April.  I installed the most recent 398.36 and it's still happening.  So I wouldn't know what version to try.

I've already dusted out as best I can but I'll try removing the card entirely and giving it a good blow-out and re-seat.  Otherwise I have an ancient GTX 560 I can try, if it still works.  The big question there is if this is a power supply issue, whether putting in a lower wattage card might suppress the problem only for it to pop up again if buy a new card. 

#5 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

So I reseated and cleaned further, no change.  In fact it got worse.  I put in an old 560 card I had lying around and  that works flawlessly, if slow.  I already purchased a new video card.  If I don't reply further, consider that my resolution.

#6 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

I replaced it with the 560, which worked great.  So after a week of clean running I purchased a 1070 TI.  Been about another week and now it's beginning all over again.  Playing space engineers this time and the output to my monitor drops.  Pushing the power button once shuts everything off.  Just like how it started before.  Seems whatever I do just puts into remission for about a week and then it comes back.

Attached Files

#7 J_Mahone

J_Mahone

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

Maybe you'll need a good driver updater like SnailDriver to keep all your Windows drivers up-to-date. A totally free stuff.

#8 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

No thanks.

The issue began with 4 month old drivers and seems to have persisted with current drivers and a new card.

#9 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

Your dump file is still pointing to the Nvidia driver as the most likely cause. I would recommend trial and error to to find the best driver compatible with your system.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#10 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

Well I had the same drivers for 4 months and nothing happened until this problem suddenly cropped up.  I switched to the newest drivers, same deal.  Switched to another video card with the newest drivers, same deal. 

And something odd happened when I installed the new video card.  I had to pull all the cabling since the card was too big to fit in the slot the other one used.  And when I had everything in ok and fired it up, it failed to post.  The mobo showed an error code related to ram.  But I've tested my ram every which way.  I re-seated the ATX cable and switched the 8 pin cables attached to the video card for the two I'd used on the previous card, and it fired right up.  I didn't think anything of it at the time but it might be the PSU is breaking down. 

The same issue where the video just goes dead happening to two different video cards?  It might not have happened to the 560 because it doesn't pull as voltage, I don't know. 

#11 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU? Have you tested by only using the integrated Intel video?

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#12 DrSNAFU

DrSNAFU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

Oh yeah.  It's a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply.  Pasted from the newegg listing.  :)  I got it in 2011. 

I've tested it with a GTX 560 ti for a week and it worked fine. Then again this new GTX 1070 ti worked for a week too, until the output from it dropped and it bluescreened, just like the GTX 970 I thought was bad.

Edited by DrSNAFU, 27 July 2018 - 10:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users