I've recently started using wireless internet with a smartphone as the hotspot. My service is T-Mobile.
It has been a long, hard couple of weeks ironing out issues with the phones themselves as far as download speeds in hotspot mode goes. They had blazing speeds when used in native mode, I had download speeds of up to 73.3 Mbps (though 35-ish is more typical) but if I tried to use the hotspot feature the speed would consistently drop to under 1 Mbps. This was whether I was using the T-Mobile issued Samsung Galaxy S7 or the third party purchased Redmi 5 Plus.
As of today, after multiple SIM refreshes and trial and error, my download speeds were more than acceptable on two laptops in the household, but this one and its twin were still just horrible. So, I checked the device drivers for the Intel WiFi on this one (HP 15-ba011cy, which is purple) and its teal twin and they needed to be updated, so I updated them. This seems to have entirely cured the issue on the teal machine, but this one remains "constipated" when it comes to download.
Here, for comparison, are figures for the two when connected to the Redmi [all four of the below were going to the same target server in Charlotte, NC]:
Ping Download Upload
Purple 37 0.05 6.66
Teal 39 23.59 10.31
and the Galaxy S7
Ping Download Upload
Purple 40 0.50 0.69
Teal 42 1.13 1.6
And I'm also seeing wild variability, for example I just ran a second speed test, but this time with a different server in Chester, SC, and the results for the Teal machine were Pin 77, Download 0.97, Upload 6.91
I am at wits end trying to figure out why I am seeing this difference between two machines that are hardware twins, and why I'm seeing such wild variability via hotspot when the speedtests on the device in "native" mode are far less wildly variable.
It seemed to help this afternoon when I did a network reset on the Samsung, so I am going to try that again, but that still doesn't explain this in its entirety in any way, shape, or form.
If anyone's got theories as to what I need to check on and/or tweak in an effort to resolve this please offer.