Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultra-slow download speed - typically single machine in household

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:18 PM

I've recently started using wireless internet with a smartphone as the hotspot.  My service is T-Mobile.

It has been a long, hard couple of weeks ironing out issues with the phones themselves as far as download speeds in hotspot mode goes.  They had blazing speeds when used in native mode, I had download speeds of up to 73.3 Mbps (though 35-ish is more typical) but if I tried to use the hotspot feature the speed would consistently drop to under 1 Mbps.  This was whether I was using the T-Mobile issued Samsung Galaxy S7 or the third party purchased Redmi 5 Plus.

As of today, after multiple SIM refreshes and trial and error, my download speeds were more than acceptable on two laptops in the household, but this one and its twin were still just horrible.  So, I checked the device drivers for the Intel WiFi on this one (HP 15-ba011cy, which is purple) and its teal twin and they needed to be updated, so I updated them.  This seems to have entirely cured the issue on the teal machine, but this one remains "constipated" when it comes to download.

Here, for comparison, are figures for the two when connected to the Redmi  [all four of the below were going to the same target server in Charlotte, NC]:

Ping      Download     Upload

Purple       37           0.05             6.66 

Teal           39        23.59             10.31

and the Galaxy S7

Ping      Download     Upload

Purple       40             0.50            0.69

Teal           42             1.13            1.6

And I'm also seeing wild variability, for example I just ran a second speed test, but this time with a different server in Chester, SC, and the results for the Teal machine were Pin 77, Download 0.97, Upload 6.91

I am at wits end trying to figure out why I am seeing this difference between two machines that are hardware twins, and why I'm seeing such wild variability via hotspot when the speedtests on the device in "native" mode are far less wildly variable.

It seemed to help this afternoon when I did a network reset on the Samsung, so I am going to try that again, but that still doesn't explain this in its entirety in any way, shape, or form.

If anyone's got theories as to what I need to check on and/or tweak in an effort to resolve this please offer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

so i find with my hotspot, before i enable it, if i turn on airplane mode then turn it off to re-establish a connection.  my speeds will be better along with the signal.

my son lives in a rural area and turned me on to the enable/disable airplane mode thing and it really has made difference.

turning wifi on and off on phone doesn't work the same way for some reason.

anyways see what it does for you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

I'll follow-up my own topic since I seem to have found a solution, or at least a solution which works perfectly when the Redmi 5 Plus is being used in hotspot mode but not at all when the Samsung Galaxy S7 is.

The two machines that were working perfectly with the Redmi, and never burped once things were resolved on the phone end, have older WiFi cards that are single band and use 2.4 GHz.   The two machines that were not have newer Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 #2 WiFi cards.  So, I decided to do some compare and contrast between the two and what their settings are (and, now, were).

I have either phone using 2.4GHz band, so that was not the problem.

Under Properties, Configure Button, Advanced tab of the Configure Dialog, I started looking.  The default wireless mode was Dual band 802.11a/b/g.  If I reset this to match the older equipment, with 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g (I'll never use either Wireless a or B) that fixed things.  If I went under the settings for Wireless 802.11ac/n in the same tab, it was set to AC.  Since I know that these devices as hotspots broadcast Wireless N speeds, at best, I changed that setting to N for good measure.

After doing this on both of the machines that had been utterly flaky in how they'd connect to either phone they've been rock solid with the Redmi.   None are being nearly so fast, or consistent, with the Samsung Galaxy S7, and I've tried almost everything.   This is a bit of a shock since the S7 was a Samsung flagship when it came out, and it came from T-Mobile, while the Redmi 5 Plus, though much newer, is a third-party phone that isn't even in T-Mobile's support databases yet.

I'm actually in the process of getting a Freetel Samurai Kiwami as a potential replacement for the S7.  I want to see how they'll play with that device in hotspot mode before I start the heavy-duty digging under the hood for the Galaxy S7.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

Next bit in the saga.

My laptop and my partner's laptop are hardware twins, they're the exact same HP model with the only difference being that his has a teal shell and mine purple.

Using his phone as a hotspot, his computer always connects to it and instantly has very high speeds.  Mine, on the other hand, doesn't.  Toggling airplane mode on mine does nothing, but if I disable and enable the wireless adapter so far that has invariably resulted in a connection to his phone as hotspot with speeds that match what his "just gets all the time" the moment he connects.

Any theories as to what might be going on here?   By the way, the wireless card in both machines is an Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3165 #2.   Both machines have had the latest drivers from Intel installed on them over the last several days.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users