Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 crashes after every install on one Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gsil247

gsil247

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

So I purchased a new motherboard (it IS compatable with this), new processor and a Samsung Evo 970 SSD. I installed Windows 10 on other hard drives I have and everything works just fine. However, after I installed Windows 10 on the Evo, I can't boot up Windows again as I get a nice little blue screen error that says, "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart." I can't system restore, because there was no restore point for it to read, since I only installed Windows 10, and restarted my computer.

What I've tried:
I figured I need to run a clean install and just go from scratch, again. I did that, and went to Windows Updates, downloaded all updates (which took about 10 hours), tried to restart my computer (so I can get updates), and the same problem occured. And no, I did NOT install any other program other then what Windows gave me. I have done this twice now and at this point, I'm ready to just take back the SSD as Amazon gives me 30 days to return it. My Bios is up to date as well as the GPU (Windows updates provides it, so I've noticed).

I do have two other HDD that work just fine, but this one keeps doing this.

Specs, in case anyone needs them:
-gigabyte aorus gaming 5 motherboard
-Corsair Vengence 16GB (2x 8GB)
-Ryzen 5 2600X

Attached Files

Edited by gsil247, 10 July 2018 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

I had to reset the CMOS (i have a CMOS button on my motherboard) to get my Samsung EVO 970 to work and be recognized in windows. Maybe try that, first. I also have a gigabyte mobo. I also,had to move the EVO down to that bottom slot on the motherboard. I have 2 slots...one up by the PCI-E (1) slot and another down at the bottom. The top one would not work. Bottom works like a champ after I reset the CMOS. 

Edited by Mason21, 10 July 2018 - 10:16 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 have a built in optimizer for ssd's it's called Trim.  Windows is supposed to detect a ssd and activate it. To determine if Trim is activated please do the following.  

This needs to be run from the Elevated Command Prompt using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifying glass) in the Taskbar and type cmd.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the following command in the Command Prompt followed by pressing Enter.  

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If it returns a 0 then Trim is active, if it returns a 1 copy and paste the command below followed by pressing Enter.

fsutil behavior set disablenotify 0

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users